Gumby slider thread - as ordered (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby

Supamod
s-Moderator
Threads
I built my sliders because Woody made me.

I went to the Badlands with some other Attica virgins and bent up my running boards. It wasn't too bad, but I could see the limitations. I gave them to the last secretary and treasurer of the Windy City club and ordered some Manik steps from eBay for cheap.

Went to the Badlands with Woody and bent 'em so bad I could barely open the doors. :doh:

Over-engineered the next pair.

I used 2 x 4 x 1/4 wall rectangle tubing under the rocker panels. I bought a Harbor Freight "bender" and bent up 2 X 3/16 tube in a long "U" with two outriggers. The bends were pretty shallow, but the HF bender still managed to make them look bad.

For the frame supports I used 1 1/2 x 1/4 square tube. There are three of them. they are welded to 2 x 1/2 plate. The plate is about an inch longer than the frame is wide. Just wider than the frame are a pair of holes for two 3/8 grade 8 bolts. they go above and below the frame and through a 1/4 plate on the other side, sandwiching the frame. The 1/4 worked well as it could slide under the fuel and brake lines. This worked really well for mounting the sliders. It was very nice to be able to take them off without cutting welds.

I wheeled with this set up for a couple of years. It worked OK. Then the Cliffs Insane Terrain Offroad Park opened about 45 minutes from my house. it is very tight. Much more so than the Badlands. I did some body damage. :whoops:

We had installed a set of AllPro Offroad sliders on 4rnr's truck and they worked great. We later built some for Mr Bryan's rig just like them with my new JD2 bender. They are amazing. The bump out works as you would think, bumping the truck off of trees and scooting your ass end away from danger. It also works as a pivot, allowing you to turn into the tree and pivot the truck around. really handy with a big wagon like the 80, especially in the mud.

i built my latest set off of that idea. I just cut the old steps off and bent a new bar. I welded that to the existing rec tube. I can't say enough about how good it works.

last week i took them off. :D

I installed them on my new 55 trail rig. I ordered steel yesterday for a new, lighter set for the 80. 2x4x 1/8 rec tube and 1-1/2 x .120 round. i will use the old mounts that I cut off to make new to fit the 55.\

First pic is of the old, too close and no-kick-out version.
3-4 rear bumper.JPG
badlands4.jpg
badlands5-14-05035.jpg

Gumby,
I want to check out the sliders during Toys for Tots. I have had the idea for the slides and outriggers (2X4), but what I've struggled with was the mounting to the frame portion.

See you in December.

I'm sure workin hard to get there. the hard part is gonna be getting ready for the shakedown run at the Cliffs this coming weekend. I don't think even the extra hour today is gonna help much. :)

Worst case, I can't get the 55 done. Then i should have the new sliders on the 80. I'm not running the Badlands without sliders.

Gumby, nice sliders. One question, do you think the outter tubing towards the rear of the slider sticking out further than the front portion is positive or negative? Just looks like it might cause to to get hung up easier than if it was a single tube running equally spaced down the slider.

Curious because i plan on adding the tubing to my homemade sliders soon.

8th paragraph in the write up. The bump out works great. I did get wedged once, but i drive it hard knowing they will keep me off stuff. The only way to get hung up on the bump out is to get them both wedged. Otherwise it pushes off.

Thanks,

i was just looking at the pictures. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom