255/85/16 BFG MT anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like an odd size and that BFG may be one of the few companies that make that size. If you get stuck in a bad situation you could have to wait for a few days to get a replacement tire. That price is a good bit cheaper than a 285 though. I still prefer commonly available sizes though. That is why I went with the 285/75/16. To me this tire fits great and does not stick outside of the fender flairs. You can also find good deals on the 285's compared to 305's and others since lots of people are running them. Did not really answer your question but hope this helps.

I run them ;)

mooker82 makes a good point on replacement options, as that tire is pretty rare. Fortunately, any 33" tire equivelent could be used in a pinch. 285, 33x10.5, etc.

I prefer the narrower width for a few reasons, mostly that these tires require less lift to run than the wider units (at least on a Tacoma). You will also benefit from less rolling resistance on the highway compared to a 285 MT.

Post a few pictures of your 80 with them installed if you get a chance :D

I run that size Radial Mud Rover..............in the spare tire carrier.

Same diameter as my other four, but lighter (gotta watch the weight you know) skinnier (better clearance) and cheaper (bought a CDL switch with the difference between it and a 295/75 BFG!).

It's a very common size in the truck world. They are typically a heavier load range.

EMR,

I was thinking of getting this size too. It is a taller and narrower that oem stock. You would have higher clearance, and better gas mileage (less resistance) . Some have suggested that it might be too narrow for the rim. I don't know if that is correct or not.

SS

That size is pretty close to a metric equivalent of 33x10.50 I think. I'ts just that no one makes a 33x110.50x16. They are common in the Landrover world, most rims are 16". I'm running them on my Discovery.

Expedition,

Did the company where you bought this size tire say that the bead of the tire might get be compromised because it is narrower than the factory recommedation? Just wondering?

SS

tarbe said:
I run that size Radial Mud Rover..............in the spare tire carrier.

Same diameter as my other four, but lighter (gotta watch the weight you know) skinnier (better clearance) and cheaper (bought a CDL switch with the difference between it and a 295/75 BFG!).

good points, however, you can't rotate all 5 so you'll likely end up with a new 255 and 4 worn 295s whereas if you have 5 the same you can wear them all down, i.e. get a free tire use of them compared to a new spare.

Grouseman said:
Expedition,

Did the company where you bought this size tire say that the bead of the tire might get be compromised because it is narrower than the factory recommedation? Just wondering?

SS

After some research, I found that even some 245 tires were spec'ed on 8" wheels. The tire is also slightly wider than specified, and is actually more of a 10.5" section width. I have aired them down as low as 12 psi in testing and has not experienced any issues. They have performed well for about 15,000 miles.

When Big O sponsored the tires, these provided a total of 6 tires and wheels, so I intend to rotate through the entire set, which should provide a usable life of about 40,000 miles (I never run tires below 40% tread depth).

It is my hope that a less aggressive AT pattern will be available soon so I can run two sets, which should last the life of the truck (or as long as I intend to keep it...)

Scott,

Nice site. Can you give us some closeups on the wheel, tire combo? Are there any 80 guys here with this tire?

SS

Here you go :)

DSC01931.jpg

DSC01943.jpg

e9999 said:
good points, however, you can't rotate all 5 so you'll likely end up with a new 255 and 4 worn 295s whereas if you have 5 the same you can wear them all down, i.e. get a free tire use of them compared to a new spare.

I have an old habit of only rotating radials front to back...never side to side.

I had to buy a spare, so no sense spending more than I needed for a tire that would never (hopefully!) be used.

I run a different size 315's but they have been great. They are the BFG M/T version. I would certainly buy them again. You should also check out the revo's--I owned some 285's--they have a 50k warranty and they did great off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom