Swampers on a 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star
Threads
Guys, I just picked up a set of rims on ebay (on the way hopefully) for a dedicated set of mud tires. I am currently planning on getting the Dunlop Mud Rovers in 285/75R16 fitment.

I wanted to see if anyone was running swampers on their 100 to get some feedback. So far all it seems is available is the SSR Swamper for a 16" rim. Most swamper guys run the bias ply tires as opposed to the radials for the extra sidewall strength and the SSR's are the radial version.

I believe Amando had SSR's on his 100 but his PM box is full!! :doh:

Any help is appreciated,
TAD

Nah, we just run 22s. :D

SSR's are weak. They chuck entire lugs and the sidewalls suck. Get a real swamper, especially if you are getting a 2nd set of rims. Get lifted and go for the 34x10.5-16 LTB's.

OR: 32x10-16 TSL's

I saw a stock 100 series at bass pro shop the other day and it was white and had boggers. Weirdest sight I have ever seen. It looked brand new and oh so luxourious or however you spell it and then they threw on some boggers. I know that doensn't answer your question but just thought i would throw that out there cause it was a weird sight.

Josh83 said:
34x10.5-16 LTB's.

OR: 32x10-16 TSL's

34x10.5-16 LTB's - That's what I'll look into then. Perfect size!

Thanks guys. :beer:

You should throw on some lift for those tires. I got my swampers from www.ntwonline.com and was happy with them. Also, probobly the best advice I can give you on swampers is this: balance them with BB's. Don't put any weights on them. Have the tire shop put the inside bead over the wheel and dump in one of those "milk cartons" of bb's you get at walmart that has about 1000 bb's in it, then have them push on the outside bead and seat the tire. My tires ride great, I get a lot of compliments about them riding very well for what they are. I put one whole carton in each of my 13x36's and it was great. I don't think that would be too much for the 34's at all. This is the only way to go on bias ply swampers...don't even try to balance them with weights. I know it sounds nutty, but it works and doesn't do any damage to the wheel or the tire.

Josh thanks for following up on the swampers. That's good timing, my second set of rims is supposed to show up today on the UPS truck so I'll pass it all along to my tire guy.

BBs? Very interesting. Probably better than that Equal crap.

Yeah, the BB's work very well. My tsl's have a hint of a shimmy at 40-45 but I think it is mostly due to some odd wear from where I drove without my toe set for a while. They are pretty quiet too. You can hear them pinging off the rim a little but once you hit 20mph they settle out and work great. And they don't fall until you stop completely. I can roll through a stop sign at 5mph and they don't fall. It's kind of funny the first time someone rides wih you and they are trying to figure out what it is(it can only be heard with the windows down).

Well here they are. Raining when I took the pics; sorry.

I'll try to get some more pics soon. Gotta get the air pressure up too. 38psi doesn't look to be enough for the street.
PICT0995web.jpg
PICT1004web.jpg

tabraha said:
I believe Amando had SSR's on his 100 but his PM box is full!! :doh:

Any help is appreciated,
TAD

amando has 35" bfg ta/ko's, I dont think he liked the ssr's...
Image-FA2AC3C6D22411D9.jpg

very nice! are you in the greer area? i'm not cruzin' for a date or anything like that i just saw a lexus the other day w/a texas tag that looked a little like whatever that tag is on the front of yours!
anyway, it does look good.

Why are you guys overlooking the TSL Radials? I have the Iroks on my 40 and they definitely wouldn't be a 100 or 80 tire full time, they just don't last.

tabraha said:
Well here they are. Raining when I took the pics; sorry.

I'll try to get some more pics soon. Gotta get the air pressure up too. 38psi doesn't look to be enough for the street.

Nice! You don't see too many or any now that I think about it, LX with mudders. What size did you get? Noisy?

CTapia

Well, I avoided the SSR's like everyone advised. Read mostly good things on the TSL/LTB's so I went with that. I decided if I was gonna go with swampers I wanted to go bias to get the true benefits of the sidewall flex and toughness vs. the radial versions. I chose the 34x10.50 as I can run them and hit full flex w/o an issue yet still get nasty grip. I think it would be THE largest size to fit without rubbing. I'd liked to have gone a little wider, but I'm confident these will get me into plenty of trouble.

ginericfj80
Why are you guys overlooking the TSL Radials? I have the Iroks on my 40 and they definitely wouldn't be a 100 or 80 tire full time, they just don't last.

Remember, when I started this thread I stated that this is a second set of rims DEDICATED to fun, not on road manners. (helps explain those gold logos on the center caps too :) The radials are good too but the concensus is that they aren't on par with the bias plys on the trail)

ff347
very nice! are you in the greer area? i'm not cruzin' for a date or anything like that i just saw a lexus the other day w/a texas tag that looked a little like whatever that tag is on the front of yours!
anyway, it does look good.

Haven't been in the greer area but I've never seen another LX w/ a TX plate in the SC. I'd think that pretty much had to be the LX, maybe my wife's boyfriend is over that way :doh:

Looks bad-azz! :cheers:

Excellent, and on a 100 to boot. :eek:

Same thing I want to do with my 80. Two sets of rims is definately the way to go, I just can't locate internal beadlock rims that are satisfactory for what I want to achieve.

That is bad ass. That seriously might be the most bad ass thing I have seen in quite a while. I would venture to say that that is the first 100 to have real swampers on it in the US. Incredible. Did you go with the bb's as per my suggestion? If so how are they working out for you?

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Josh, I told the tire guys to use the BB's if the set looked like they were gonna be trouble but they got 'em balanced great with just weights inside the rim. If this set gives me any trouble at all I'm gonna go to the BB's. So far I've tried 36psi (stupid), 40psi, and now I'm at 44psi and happy. I can feel the tread blocks squirming during cornering but damn these things grip in the mud!!!

Check out the new wallpaper:

PICT1004dsktop.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom