84 FJ60 > H55F > New T-case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.palmit.com
I drive an 84 FJ60, 9/84 I think. I have a new H55F transmission sitting in my shop. I thought I had everything to start the install (clutch, drive-shafts from an 86, all that good stuff) but Man-a-Fre just told me that my T-case (the one that sits behind my stock 4-speed) won't work with the H55F transmission.

Is it true? Do I need a new or re-build T-case from a newer model FJ60 to make this conversion work? I thought the newer model driveshafts were it.

PNWFJ

I have read that you can mount a H55F to a split case TC, but some modifcations are necessary to make it work. I am not sure what they are, but I am sure that it is possible.

The guys at MAF told you that for one of two reasons. One; they want you to buy a better, more expensive tranny from them. Two; they don't think that you can handle the mods. I can assure you that it is not too hard. Search this forum for the thread, or wait for someone who has done it to reply.

:beer:

AFAIK, all 60's have the same basic split case, ratios may vary between the older and newer, but the input is the same. The difference in the older and newer 60's is in the transmission. The newer ones have a spacer that positions the Tcase further to the rear - in exactly the same position that the H55F requires.

If you have a split case (stock) it will bolt up to the H55F. Mods are not that hard - linkage modifications, an oiler plug and drive shaft alteration or replace with newer model FJ60 drive shafts. No big deal.

Go HERE for the details, and short cut the FAQ.

M

Exactly. The conversion is very easy, by comparison. Is it the same for the H151F? Or is it bigger?

It's non-sense. I've just rebuilt a split case and mounted it to a new H55f. You do have to plug one of the bolt holes in the transfercase, and snap in a plastic oiler cup but that's it. I'm planning a full write up, but I'm waiting on a shim set from Cruiserdan (thanks bro) to get the output bearing preload right. Now that I've done one of these, a second one would be easy. THere's a pic of the plug in the extra bolt hole, and some pics during the rebuild. The first pic is the front of the case with the new oil seal and plug, the second is the front of the case bolted to the H55f, and the last pic is of the gears installed, just before the installation of the rear cover. The gears in this case are seriously stout-Toyota built this box to last.

I forgot to mention that I built a rolling stand to hold the H55 vertically while I built the case on top of it. It's crude but it works great. The tranny is bolted down to the sled making the whole assembly very secure easy to work on. If you look carefully at the first picture, you can see my FJ40's front hub.
H55f3.jpg
H55f1.jpg
H55f2.jpg

Awesome. Where is a picture of the oiler cup? Also, what do you mean about the shims? Why do you need them? (tranny newbie)

There is a good view of the oiler cup in this picture. This is the transmission side of the front of the transfer case. The relief area is already cast into the case, you just need to snap in the cup. Just above it you can see the brass plug in the bolt hole I tapped. See also the pics in this thread that I posted a few days ago:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45835
Carnage5.jpg

Thanks. You had to tap the hole that you plugged? I thought that it was a bolt hole, and therefore already had threads. No?

GLTHFJ60 said:
Exactly. The conversion is very easy, by comparison. Is it the same for the H151F? Or is it bigger?

I don't think the H151 will bolt up to a 2F. The input shafts (H55F and H151) are different. I expect that this is not the only difference effecting mating the two, but I have no experience with the H151. They have been used mainly in Diesel and other non-US models, and are not often seen in the US.

Seems that they are a pretty stout unit.

M

GLTHFJ60 said:
Thanks. You had to tap the hole that you plugged? I thought that it was a bolt hole, and therefore already had threads. No?

Yes, the hole has to be tapped, it has no threads. Normally the bolt passes through this and bolts into the transmission. I used a 1/4 pipe thread tap which fits almost perfectly. Carefully tap the threads and bolt in the plug with locktite. On the other thread I had some pictures of the tap in the hole, the threads (which came out really clean), and then the plug in the hole.

Cruiserdrew said:
It's non-sense. I've just rebuilt a split case and mounted it to a new H55f. You do have to plug one of the bolt holes in the transfercase, and snap in a plastic oiler cup but that's it.

Thanks for all the info. guys.

CRUISERDREW. Have you put it all back together yet? Did you modify your driveshafts or did you get some from a newer model FJ? It looks like you've got an 84 too so we're basically doing the same thing. I've got driveshafts from a newer model FJ to complete the project. I think the newer model front driveshaft is longer and the rear is shorter. I knew about the hole and the oil plug already. So I'm good to go with my current Tcase - right guys? Any other 84 or older FJ60 owners out there that can confirm this. Man-a-Fre made me nervouse - I asked "are you sure" the guy said, "I've been doing this for 20 years, your stock Tcase won't mate to an HFFf." I told him I had the newer model driveshafts, etc. etc. and he stuck with it.

PNWFJ

GLTHFJ60 said:

Like Mike S replied, the H151 has its own (newer) split case, but if you can find one out of a non-US FJ80, it will bolt up to the 2F since the 3F has the same bellhousing pattern. Specter has a complete kit for an FJ80 for sale:

066-ms5spd.jpg

Dave

beanz2 said:
Like Mike S replied, the H151 has its own (newer) split case, but if you can find one out of a non-US FJ80, it will bolt up to the 2F since the 3F has the same bellhousing pattern. Specter has a complete kit for an FJ80 for sale:

066-ms5spd.jpg

Dave

Beanz

I am told that the H55F will not bolt up to the FZJ engine. The H151 and the H55F have different input shafts, so my guess is that the H151 will not mate with the 2F due to the difference in the input shafts, at least.

Maybe Greg can help us out with tranny- engine compatibility, since G&S sees alot of this JDM and non-USA machinery.

Mike S said:
I don't think the H151 will bolt up to a 2F. The input shafts (H55F and H151) are different. I expect that this is not the only difference effecting mating the two, but I have no experience with the H151. They have been used mainly in Diesel and other non-US models, and are not often seen in the US.

Seems that they are a pretty stout unit.

M

The newes Split Case HF2A, that have 2.48:1 Low, usuali fits in H150 and H151, that comes with 1HZ, 1FZ, 1HD-T series engines.

pnwfj said:
Thanks for all the info. guys.

CRUISERDREW. Have you put it all back together yet? Did you modify your driveshafts or did you get some from a newer model FJ? It looks like you've got an 84 too so we're basically doing the same thing. I've got driveshafts from a newer model FJ to complete the project. I think the newer model front driveshaft is longer and the rear is shorter. I knew about the hole and the oil plug already. So I'm good to go with my current Tcase - right guys? Any other 84 or older FJ60 owners out there that can confirm this. Man-a-Fre made me nervouse - I asked "are you sure" the guy said, "I've been doing this for 20 years, your stock Tcase won't mate to an HFFf." I told him I had the newer model driveshafts, etc. etc. and he stuck with it.

PNWFJ

CRUISERDREW, just noticed that you're mating a Tcase from an 87 to your H55F. So do I need to get a newer model Tcase to install this H55F into my 84 FJ60? It's starting to look like I might.

pnwfj said:
CRUISERDREW, just noticed that you're mating a Tcase from an 87 to your H55F. So do I need to get a newer model Tcase to install this H55F into my 84 FJ60? It's starting to look like I might.

I think your case is fine. I am using an 87 case because I found one pretty cheap and it has the 38mm idler shaft that started in 4/86 and is supposedly stronger. Check this link from the ih8mud tech section. It gives his experience with a 9/84 t-case like yours and it worked fine.

Mudrak does these all the time for the 84s and down and charges more because a different shift linkage is needed and the driveshafts have to be shortened/lengthened. If you still have doubts, call him.

Read this: http://www.rzeppa.org/tech/alanrenchH55F.htm

On your drive shafts, I will get mine re sized which is only $75 each. The later shafts have the wrong bolt pattern for the earlier t-case and differentials.

So let me get this straight. The H151F will bolt up to a 2F engine because it has the same bellhousing pattern as the 151's original 3F. The one problem is that the split case TC will not bolt to the H151F. Is that right?

Mike S,

How much is that kit?

I want to get a five-speed before I convert to diesel, but I want the five-speed to be compatible with the diesel when I get it. Thanks guys!

Mike S said:
Beanz

I am told that the H55F will not bolt up to the FZJ engine. The H151 and the H55F have different input shafts, so my guess is that the H151 will not mate with the 2F due to the difference in the input shafts, at least.

Maybe Greg can help us out with tranny- engine compatibility, since G&S sees alot of this JDM and non-USA machinery.

Just like the H55, the H15x comes with different input shafts. The 3F(E) version has a different input than the 1HZ which is again different from the 1FZF(E) and the 1HDT version. That's why I said the 3F(E) version with its bellhousing should theoretically fit the 2F.

Yes, call Greg, he's always helpful

Dave

How do I contact Mudrak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom