low range (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just out of curiosity I was wondering if you can put a 62 in low range while in two wheel drive. sorry if this is a stupid question

I know it is always a bad idea to put it in 4 wheel drive LO or HI when the front hubs are not locked. The transfer case sees no resistance and thinks your wheels are spinning. Don't think it is different on a 62.

I pretty sure my tcase doesn't really care what is spinning :) My 60 has the shift plate removed and will do 2lo just fine. Now I'm curious if the 62s have a lockout to prevent 2lo. I've heard that 4wd - front shaft engaged with the hubs unlocked is bad for the front end but I don't know why. It not like the outer shaft is flopping around inside the hub when its unlocked.

The 62 xfer is vacuum/electric and lever controlled.
From my nosing around, if you push the button on the dash, it goes into
4wd, because an electric switch allows vacuum to pull the actuator out.
If you put the lever in 4L w/out pushing the dash button, the same electric
switch seems to open vacuum to the actuator.
But... if the 4WD light isn't on, and the bulb's ok, it may be the position
sensor on the xfer case, and the switch won't put it in 4WD when you put
it in 4L.

And, putting the xfer in 4WD without locking the hubs (on any Cruiser) is
harmless. Useless, but harmless.

Unless you're pulling tree stumps...

So if I happen to need some power without putting it in 4wd say for pulling a car or stump etc. I can put my transmission in neutral and shift my transfer case to low range without any problems?

Not completely useless...

hj60 said:
The 62 xfer is vacuum/electric and lever controlled.
From my nosing around, if you push the button on the dash, it goes into
4wd, because an electric switch allows vacuum to pull the actuator out.
If you put the lever in 4L w/out pushing the dash button, the same electric
switch seems to open vacuum to the actuator.
But... if the 4WD light isn't on, and the bulb's ok, it may be the position
sensor on the xfer case, and the switch won't put it in 4WD when you put
it in 4L.

And, putting the xfer in 4WD without locking the hubs (on any Cruiser) is
harmless. Useless, but harmless.

There is a reason to run the xfer in 4lo w/o the axles engaged... If you haven't run in 4wd lately and don't plan to in the near future there are a few small parts in the xfer that get no oil circulation unless it's run in 4lo...I'm told by "experts" that just running the truck in 4lo for 30 ft or so once a month will keep said parts from losing their coating of oil,thus preventing rust due to condensation, etc. Driving around in 2h with the hubs engaged may do the same thing, I dunno. Just thought I'd pass it along. Cheers.

2low is great. allows you to turn tighter radius in low, definately a good thing to do when pulling someone out in reverse: spares your birfs the chance of exploding. good for getting started with a heavy trailer in San Francisco (btdt).

on a 60 it is a really easy mod, just requires a little time removing (or grinding/bending) the little blocking plate on the tcase.

no harm in running the truck in 4lo w/ the hubs unlocked either, by the way, but if your hubs *are* locked and you want 2lo, you've gotta do the plate mod.

So if I want low range in two wheel drive I don't lock my hubs, push the four wheel drive button, then shift into low range. And this isn't bad?

leonard_nemoy said:
So if I want low range in two wheel drive I don't lock my hubs, push the four wheel drive button, then shift into low range. And this isn't bad?

No, you just need to shift the TC into low with the hubs unlocked. There's a L4 switch in the TC which'll activate the 4WD solenoid for you.

Bill

Okay I tried it and it worked, all I did was put the tranny in neutral and shift the transfer case, There was no weird noise or anything. Thanks for helping me figure this out. Next time I have to pull a car out of a snowbank and my four wheel drive doesn't work I won't have any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom