starting/turnover question/problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
Here's the symptoms - happened twice over the last 2-3 weeks.

Go to start it and it cranks but doesn't turn over, release the key, try again. (starter does not "stick") Repeat 2 or 3 times and then it will start but the motor seems to "stumble" to life. After that, runs great as usual. Did this once after sitting for 3 hours, once after sitting at the airport for 2 days. From what I've read this doesn't sound like starter contacts -- correct?

The symptoms sound familiar to this thread in which the starter was replaced

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=22186&highlight=start

but the thread doesn't mention the part about it stumbling to life once it does start so this is making me think it's not the starter. :confused:

Any clues?

-J

Well I was thinking along those lines too but any clue where to start?

Sounds somewhat like the problem I had here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=19100,

It would not start at first then turned into would not start sometimes, fixed by cleaning the contacts in the fuel pump relay. it is

The missing symptom that I had that you don’t is stumble on hard acceleration when the fuel pump kicks into high. As it also does on start.

So far I have not read of anyone else having this problem so mine may have been a fluke

MoJ said:
Go to start it and it cranks but doesn't turn over

(starter does not "stick")

I'm having trouble understanding these.

I've heard of "cranking over" or "turning over" which I believe to be the same thing.

And the other one, I have no idea what you're getting at.

LT I gather the engine turn's on the starter but does not fire and run, correct MoJ?

a good test would be to see if (once you have it running) it stumbles when you put it to the floor. if so then it likely is the pump relay like mentioned above

RavenTai said:
LT I gather the engine turn's on the starter but does not fire and run, correct MoJ?

Correct.

And after a few attempts, when it does finally start, it rumbles/stumbles/hesitates for a few seconds and then settles to a normal idle. By saying "starter does not stick" I'm meaning that it does not get stuck in the engaged position which, from what I've read, is a symptom of needing new contacts. Again, this has only happened twice in the year I've had this thing, both times in the last few weeks, so I'm assuming it's only going to get worse.

Well I've had similar running issues like yourself but it happened after a period of time once the truck was ran for an hour or so. That was until this morning, when it behaved just as yours. The relay was mentioned on my thread but when I went out to check my truck I couldn't find it as it's in the fender and I just replaced the EFI main replay for like 8.00.

Well I got out the manual and did find it today and checked the contacts and they did look dirty. I priced out a new relay locally at @ $100.00 so cleaning it would be a cheaper option.

The proper way of cleaning a relay is with a burnishing tool. This is like a ultra fine very thin file specifically for relay contacts. Good luck finding one, I did and it was an hour away. So plan B, (not -B-), is to use an old trick I was taughtback when I first started in field service.

What you need to find is a new match book. Cut the strike area out of the book and you have a very good substitute foe a burnishing tool. You slide the striker in between the contacts and the in a filing motion clean the contacts. DO NOT add any addition force to pinch the contacts closer!!! Once done on one contact flip and rotate the striker to clean the other contact in a clean area of the striker.

Attached is pics of the striker installed in the relay and the used end of the strker as what came off.
relay .jpg
Striker.jpg

Rick,

Sounds like that should be my first step.

What is the proper name for the relay you have pictured?

Can you give me some more info on how to locate it?

I'm heading out to wheel for the weekend and want to make sure I can get to it in the event the symptoms get worse.

Thanks mucho!
Jason

Rick,

I assume what you are saying is that this was indeed resulting in the problem you were having, and cleaning the contact solved it??

Thanks for the info Rick. I'll clean the contacts and see if it makes a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom