255-85-16's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A while back I asked if they would fit, I finally put them on, After being told the tires I bought a few months ago were seperating, cupping, all around turds!
SO...here is a pic, I think they look much better than the 245-70-16's errr something like that.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Those fit in pretty well. What do they come out to liek a 33x9.5 or what?

Do you have any suspension mods at all?

I have a set of BFG Mud terrains tires in that size wrapped around 16" Toyota split rims I got from Canada on my 82 fj40 w/OME and reverse shackle, fit real well. I like the pizza cutter look!!

Vitesse_6 said:
I only have the 1" rubber spacer up front.

It looked like it was sitting a little low in the rear to what I'm used to and then the front end looked lifted too. Hmm. Go figure. That's the way it really is. :)

I'm actually shopping for a set of 255/85/16's. I am running flareless and that size is perfect for that as far as width goes..

Trent

Howdy Trent.
I have only had them on for a few hours, But I have gone through some gutters here in the neighborhood and havent rubbed.
I think there is about 1/2 the tread left, But it could be less?!?
Sorry about the pic, I had a hard time taking it amid all the fam's BMW's and the wifes PT Cruiser, But at least they all have LC's!
I guess I forgot to mention they are Dunlop Mud Rovers.
Good to hear form a fellow WC!

I just looked on Tirerack.com and it gives the stats as 33.6" x 10.8" for the Dunlop Mud Rover. That sounds perfect if they will tuck nicely. They only have 3 tires in that size (for offroad use), the Dunlop mud rovers, the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT, and the BFG MT. They are much cheaper than a 285/75 in the same tire. In the BFG MT they are $185 to $144. I would love to hear if more people are running these, and if they have any rubbing issues.

Fax

I know a guy running that tire size on a Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with no lift and minimal rubbing. Should be a good size for an 80 with little or no lift. Tall and narrow works well for lots of terrain.

Interco makes several different tires in that size as well. For example, the TrXus Mud Terrain comes in the 255 85r16 size. Note that this is a heavy duty tire with 8 plys! This would be a perfect tire for a heavy 80 series, whereas the BFG MT would not be, due to the weak sidewalls.

Last edited:
No offense, but I think they are the goofiest thing I've seen since I kicked the teeth out of reffug's momma. :D

How does it handle on curved exit ramps?

there was a lifted 80 on Ebay last month, it had 33x9.5's on it...........and DAMN did it look goofy. I like the 255's on yours however

Brian,
Royal form WC is running a set of Les Shuab's this size and loves them. I am actually looking to get a set before christmas. I built a small lift on my 80, 1 1/4" up front and a little less than 1" in back so I think I'll clear fine. Saturday will be spent shopping for tires I guess.

Trent

I was going to go with those. But I didn't for a couple of reasons. First I didn't want to run the BFG MT. Second I wasn't ready to have a tire like the Truxus on my DD. Third, I thought that they would be too narrow for the weight of any 80 series. Too skinny of a tire for such a heavy vehicle. I am sure they would look super cool on a 40 though!!!

I know they work out to be just a little taller than the 285's but not as wide. The 285's will fit any 80 stock.

I do know a guy with a Taco double cab running these tires and loves them...so far.

Any new news on people running 255/85 r16's?

Anyone running them on a 60?

What happened to the pic? I'm a fan of tall and skinny.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom