Project Squat To Pee (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, towards the end of the summer I took it upon myself to replace the rust in my 40. I'm just now getting around to show y'all my handy work. Here she is to start with after the old rust had been cut/fallen off.
Rust1.JPG

And the side after a piss poor learning job patching the axulary tank fill hole. Warped the metal a bit. It isn't going to be there much longer:)
Rust2.JPG

I started with a new rear sill replacement that I bought off ebay for 50 bones, I should have prolly just bent one myself but i'm kinda lazy. From there a mimiced the corners from the original design by using treeroots carfully made stencils. Just welded 3 peices of sheet together. Next I made body mount supports and tacked them in.

Rust3.JPG

Piece tacked in and wheel wells opened up.

Rust4.JPG

Now its time to skin

Rust5.JPG

Got come-along?

Rust6.JPG

I used a system of come along hooked to roll bar via bent engine host hook and high lift to square the body up before I welded it all together

Rust7.JPG

Cleaned up a bit

Rust8.JPG

Oh did I mention that this was my first adventure in welding? Learning a sheet is a beotch! :barf:

What do you guys think of my untouched welds?

rust13.JPG

Last edited:
Now it is time to attack the sides

Rust9.JPG

finished product

Rust10.JPG

Rust11.JPG

I decided to tuck some 1.5X1.5 under my rockers to serve as rocker protection. I have bashed the crap out of these things and they hold up great and it was so simple to do. I guess if you don't like having scraps on the side of your rockers it wouldn't be the way to go but i like how low profile and high clearance they are.

Rust12.JPG

I have since flopped my junk in MOAB and tucked in one of the sides, I bent it back the best I could in 5 mins :flipoff2: So further measures may be taken

As aways big ups to treeroot for dealing with me:)

Next up sag P/S

Last edited:
Looks great for a first time welder. Not experienced at welding here but those pics are good confidence builders for me.

So now is your sigline going to read "All show and go"? :D

nicely done...and i hear ya on the first time welder thing...makes you wonder how much faster/easier it would be for someone that knew what they were doin, ha ha

how much did you trim the rockers, if at all?

malphrus

WOW, I have been welding for years now and if thats your first attempt you should consider a career! Nice work! I only wish I had a tub as nice as yours to work on. I had to cut out twice the cancer that you had to remove.

Your before pics look EXACLTY like mine. Good job! What would it take to get you to help fix mine now? ;p

That whole project looks eerily familiar... Except mine took the better part of two years :whoops: And my rear channel isn't nearly as elegant, but I figure it took 40 years to rust through the stock 16ga channel so my 1/8" thick 2x2" should last for a while. :D

There sure is a sense of satisfaction knowing that you did it yourself - especially for a first-timer. Well done :cheers:

Nice job, I am to the point in my restoration where I need to do some body work. It is nice to see that you got that decent of a result as a first timer. Gives me encouragement! Thanks.

Looks great! I am not a bodyman though.I thought when you are welding sheet metal you were supposed to just tack and not run full beads because of heat distortion. Not a criticism just an observation.

Quazii said:
So now is your sigline going to read "All show and go"? :D

That refered to when I looked very stock (small tires 33x9.5) but had lockers front and rear with a SM420 and went EVERYWHERE people were very impressed. I guess I should change it but I was waiting till I do my SO:)

72cruiser said:
how much did you trim the rockers, if at all?

I had originally cut my rockers to the same height as that body mount. I then added that peice of box and folded the sheet around it. So there is 1.5" left below the rocker. Just guessing here, if there was originally 3.5 inchs I guess I trimed 2"

Scott R said:
should consider a career!

I appreciate the compliments, I hope to become a mechanical engineer by May :)

DenverCruiser said:
What would it take to get you to help fix mine now?

One thousand dollars :p
Seriouly this project took me like 2 weeks of working after work, I so freaking slow

e rock said:
There sure is a sense of satisfaction knowing that you did it yourself - especially for a first-timer.

I prefer to do everything myself, that thing not a mystery when things fail. I want to bend my own cage but the only person I know with a bending is stingy with it, so I don’t' know, and I would have liked to CAD and CNC'd my own 420 adapter, but I took the easy road out on that one.

alstaz said:
Nice job, I am to the point in my restoration where I need to do some body work. It is nice to see that you got that decent of a result as a first timer. Gives me encouragement! Thanks.

Man, you just have to get out there and do it, it takes FOREVER but take your time, and in the end you end up with a solid car.

too tall said:
I thought when you are welding sheet metal you were supposed to just tack and not run full beads because of heat distortion.

You’re correct! I did small tacks all the way around on the butt welded panels on the outside, well actually stitch welds. But I found that on parallel fillet welds heat wasn't really an issue so I ran longer stitch welds, you can see that there are actually 2 stopping points on the long side. I also figured that this was a part of the car that you wouldn't see so if it bent a little, who cares?

you were the one that found the main one. The dipstick? WTF? still need to do the rear main again DOH

FJBen said:
Looking good mang! So Mike is the rear main seal expert??? I think he should work his magic on a certain 55 I know! ;p

I'll hook my winch to it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom