Disk brake conversion for rear FF write up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

link does not work
edit: Weird, link does not work using Firefox(Page not found), but does work with IE- anyho- nice writeup!

Last edited:
looks familiar!

Nice writeup. I like the earlier FF for this reason. Easy to convert to disc... My cruiser hauled to a stop quick with this setup...

Looks good!

I remember seeing a couple of write-up from Down Under of FF rears converted to discs. BJ on Roids that hung out on Pirate all the time had one. Used a minitruck rotor bolted to the back side of the hub, you have to machine the hub a bit (or the disc a bit) to get them to work together, custom bracket and whatever calipers.

I was just searching on Outer Limits 4x4 trying to find the info and found some interesting info about a disc conversion using 80 series rear hubs and mini discs. I guess the 80 series hub ff rear hub will fit right on, but the brakes won't (different bolt pattern). The beauty in that setup it seems is that the WMS is moved 30mm (1.5") towards the outsides on each side. Throw some IFS hubs up front and you just gained the same width up front. Plus for the rear conversion, you would have more room to work with on the back side of the hub for your disc and caliper (could run a cruiser vented disc more easily instead of the solid mini front disc). Then run whatever calipers you want. In the thread I found it seems they're having good success with a Subaru caliper with built in park brake... Thoughts? Anyway, here's the thread:

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_M...ic.php?t=23523&highlight=rear+disc+conversion

-Ferg-

Last edited:
Just thought about this some more.... The disc would pretty much need to mount to the backside of the WMS of the hub...so you would need some sort of spacer between the backside of the WMS and the disc to actually give you more room to work with. I wonder if the same spacer that Sky Mfg sells with their IFS front hub conversion kit would work in this situation. How does that spacer bolt on in that conversion? Super long wheel studs...?

Hmmmm.....

Sorry, kind of a hi-jack I guess, but oh well. Thoughts?

-Ferg-

Last edited:
I think the Aussie 80 hubs conversion apply to the 70 series factory disk brake FF axles which has a built in parking drum brake in the middle. The WMS is farther out on the 80 but the rotor/disk is farther in to compensate such that the stock rear caliper doesn't have to be moved.

Dave

That sounds like an interesting idea. I tried to use as much existing parts as possible to keep cost down. For those with even tigher budget, you can just use mini-truck rotors/calipers freshed from the junkyard when you pull that housing knucles/backing plates/... I got a hard time to afford a spare rear FF FJ40/45 hub, I was told a set of FZJ80 rear hubs are pretty pricey.

As for the WMS, I already run widen stock wheels with 2" backspacing:

http://www.employees.org/~dirttrak/after-so-2.jpg

/td
after-so-2.jpg

Well, in that thread I linked up there, a guy said he made a kit using 80s rear FF hubs and mini discs and it was for 40s, 45s, 55s, 60s, 62s and 70s FF rears. I realize that the disc brakes from the 80 series won't bolt on, but using the 80s rears you could gain some width and gain a bit more working room for a custom disc conversion. Can an 80 series hub actually fit onto the spindle of a 60 series correctly?--asside from all the brake parts of course... Then, with the WMS spaced out on the hub another 1.5", you have that much more room to work with on the backside of the hub where you would mount the disc and the caliper bracket. Hmmm. Would you even need the extra room?

Or with the 80s rear hubs, perhaps you could end up with enough room to actually run the 80s rear discs and then fab a mount for the stock 80s park brake shoes and the 80s rear discs... Humor me, I'm just thinking out loud... :D

Ya, I'm out a bit more than stock as well. Runnin' 2.0" backspaced rims. Hmmm. If you went with the IFS hubs up front, with the spacer, I bet you could run the stock 80s wheels without issue. Then do the same in the back. Man, if I didn't love the 60 style so much, I'd just ditch it for an 80... :D

-Ferg-

beanz2 said:
I think the Aussie 80 hubs conversion apply to the 70 series factory disk brake FF axles which has a built in parking drum brake in the middle. The WMS is farther out on the 80 but the rotor/disk is farther in to compensate such that the stock rear caliper doesn't have to be moved.

Dave

Last edited:
TD, are you running a t-case park brake then? Or have you not figured that out yet? Or is it that 2x4 chock that's in that pic... :D I've heard there's a kit for a split t-case mount park brake...thought I saw one somewhere the other day... Mark's Down Under maybe?

-Ferg-

Ferg, I'm still running the stock transfer case parking brake, the drivelines were out for modifications and waiting for the Orion to come in...

/td

Tell me more about milling the hubs for the rotors. This should work just fine on a 60 series FF also. How much milling are we dealing with? Only reason I care is that I CANT AFFORD to screw it up!

dd113 said:
Tell me more about milling the hubs for the rotors. This should work just fine on a 60 series FF also. How much milling are we dealing with? Only reason I care is that I CANT AFFORD to screw it up!

There is a small shoulder or taper in the back of the wheel hub that prevent the rotor to sit flat with hub, so there is two ways to completely mate the surface of the rotor and the hub toghether:

- Enlarge the hole of rotor
- Machine this little taper off.

I chose to machine it off. If you have patience you can do it with a grinder but may not come out beautifully.

/td

Anybody got a pic of the backing plate from a FF rear of an 80 and a 60? (or the hub dust shield). I want to see how far off the mounting holes from an 80 FF rear are from that of a 60 FF rear. Like if it would be at all feasable or possible to modify the 80 series backing plate to attach to the 60 series housing... I remember Dave helped me with this once before, but I can't remember if we had pics or not... :eek: And I didn't know that an 80 hub body could fit on the spindle of a 60 FF rear.

-Ferg-

Last edited:
theferg said:
Anybody got a pic of the backing plate from a FF rear of an 80 and a 60? (or the hub dust shield). I want to see how far off the mounting holes from an 80 FF rear are from that of a 60 FF rear. Like if it would be at all feasable or possible to modify the 80 series backing plate to attach to the 60 series housing... I remember Dave helped me with this once before, but I can't remember if we had pics or not... :eek: And I didn't know that an 80 hub body could fit on the spindle of a 60 FF rear.

-Ferg-

I got pics of a 70 series factory FF housing (mounting pattern identical to an 80) and a 70 series drum FF housing (identical to a 60 FF). I'll see if I can find them and post them up tonite. IIRC, there is not enough metal on one side of the 60 mounting flange and the spindle portion is much longer on the factory FF.

Dave

Here is a factory disc brake housing:

DCP_2141.JPG

Here is a factory drum brake housing:

DCP_2140.JPG

You can see there is not enough metal on the drum housing, let alone the spindle tip on the disc housing sits farther in.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom