Rim Rot- RutRo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any cure for this?

:frown:

WheelRot_1IC.jpg

WheelRot_2IC.jpg

What a shame. With those wheels, nobodies even going to notice how nice your center-caps look :D.

Is there any cure for this?

:frown:

Yep, and it's fun and easy too! Simply scrape the offending areas against some rocks, preferrably as far from civilization as possible. Those unsightly blemeshes will be removed, and as an added bonus you can usually use the same method to remove the Tupperware stuck to the side of your truck around the wheel openings.

-Spike

:eek: What happened here, road salt, curb damage :confused:

Don't know! Something the Soccer Mom that previously owned it did. There is also damage behind the old wheel weights to. My guess is road salt and anybody's elses guess.

Yep, and it's fun and easy too! Simply scrape the offending areas against some rocks, preferrably as far from civilization as possible. Those unsightly blemeshes will be removed, and as an added bonus you can usually use the same method to remove the Tupperware stuck to the side of your truck around the wheel openings.

-Spike

If done with proper skill the unsightly Tupperware in the center of the wheel will be removed along with the ugly green valve caps!:hillbilly:

My fix for a :princess: rig would be sandblast and powder coat or paint.

My spare is doing that too, I have found that mine seems to be some type of corrosion that actually comes off, I don't think it has eaten into the aluminum. I have yet to remove it all but when I do I will let you know the outcome.

Same here. I used my dremel to buff em up and a squirt of clear coat. I still use that rim as a spare. As of right now I have no idea if it helped.

Karl

A lot of people have painted them black.. might be worth a try..??

Dang; those are nice and shiny - ought to see mine.
Try a little steel wool.

minor corrosion seeping under the clear coat I would think. Will have a worm hole effect. I don't think it has any significant effect on integrity and could be probably easily stopped with clearcoat.
I would say if it bothers you just strip the wheel with some abrasive techique and smooth out and reclearcoat.
Personally I would paint in satin silver over black.

here's how i fixed mine...
black wheels 002 (Small).jpg

These look AWESOME!!

Sell them and use the money to buy mine listed in the for sale section. :)

It is easy to re finish them yourself just takes a lot of patience and you must use Teflon clear coat or they will crack. If you don’t use clear coat they will oxidize and look even worse than they do now in no time.

Bead blast and let it mold to a nice grey.
Both Rims.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom