cable locker, any options? (FAQ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am considering doing lockers in my axles when i do my restoration on my '72 40. i have a limited slip in the rear and have probably done way more with it than i should have. i have been mostly satisfied with it.

i am open in the front.

i would like toyota e-lockers for front and rear, but i cant justify the price. ARB presents a similar problem with $$, and i have seen too many problems with ARB lockers to want to set myself up for problems. i have seen many go well for a long time, and many just have countless problems.

so, i am wondering if there is a cable locker out there for the 40s. i havent found one beyond a cable actuator for the toyota setup. i do not have high hopes.

anyone seen a cable locker for the 40?

i am considering doing lockers in my axles when i do my restoration on my '72 40. i have a limited slip in the rear and have probably done way more with it than i should have. i have been mostly satisfied with it.

i am open in the front.

i would like toyota e-lockers for front and rear, but i cant justify the price. ARB presents a similar problem with $$, and i have seen too many problems with ARB lockers to want to set myself up for problems. i have seen many go well for a long time, and many just have countless problems.

so, i am wondering if there is a cable locker out there for the 40s. i havent found one beyond a cable actuator for the toyota setup. i do not have high hopes.

When it's all said and done, Cable lockers will be just as expensive as the E-lockers, as the only state side source for this locker is: FZJ80 rear...

You will need a full floating rear end, with a custom axle shaft with the long splines.

You won't be saving any money going with cable lockers vs going with an ARB or Toyota E-locker.

AFAIK, Specter is the only place you can get cable lockers.
But you are on your own for the custom axleshafts.

HTH

there is a set for sale over in the for sale section...4k canadian i think

malphrus

yeah, i saw that just after i posted up. holy geezus. even canadian that is a lot of dough.

i paid that much for my '40!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

there is a set for sale over in the for sale section...4k canadian i think

malphrus

You can do a set of ARBs for about $2000 USD less than the asking price of those axles....

Pshaw.

70 series locking axle shafts cost about $250 and fit perfectly.

You can pick up 80 locking rears for 200-600 depending on your area and the deal you get.

You can make cable actuators like I did for about $50 tops.

Less than $2K for the pair.

Rear semi floaters might give you a bit of a problem. You can either go FF or complete 80 axle. Or I'm sure poly performance will make you one for far less than those aussie ones.

Last edited:
70 series axles will fit a 40 nicely, but will require special TRE's and spring perch narrowing. They are cool though....I like mine a lot, and I really like the idea of driving out of the woods with a broken axle shaft. It's rare, but I've seen several semi float axles bail now.

i have always wondered about slapping a pair of 70 axles under my 40...

maybe i should start looking for a pair of those. you canucks get many of those laying around? i hear you can just move the perches in about half an inch on each side and just bolt them up with some minor additional stuff...

gumby, where are you finding 80 series axles for <$600?!?!?! that would be one hell of a deal.

A local cruiser buddy has factory lockers installed in his FJ40, the rear was converted to full float axle. Those lockers are reliable and cool but the lockers themself are not cheap and you get to have inner axle customed made and convert the rear to FF.

Yes, I would just swap in a set of 70 series locked axles, some rear 70 axles came with disk brake and ebrake. But if you're going to wheel hard, bring your own spares.

Just curious....what spares would you be referring to? Diffs will swap with semifloat units, front axle birfs can interchange with minitrucks, front locking hubs are the same, knuckle arms have the same bolt pattern as late 40's and 60's. The only thing that would really hose you is a broken axles shaft, which can be removed, or a broken axle housing....in which case you are f'd anyway
Yeah, the locker parts don't swap, but then you don't have to lock to get out of the woods and home.

If you brake an axle shaft yes i theory you could move the rig but that fact that you are somewhere where you could brake a shaft means you NEED all 4 wheels turning with power. If you have custom shafts made you need to carry your own spare as no one else is likely to have one.

i have always wondered about slapping a pair of 70 axles under my 40...

maybe i should start looking for a pair of those. you canucks get many of those laying around? i hear you can just move the perches in about half an inch on each side and just bolt them up with some minor additional stuff...

gumby, where are you finding 80 series axles for <$600?!?!?! that would be one hell of a deal.

I bought my rear retail from a bone yard complete for $650.
The other rear I was given by my local pick and pull. The originally quoted me $150, but I give them a lot of cars so they often don't charge me.
You only need the third. Should be able to get it less than that from a yard. A quick check for "carriers" "rear 4.10 w/ locker" on car-part.com shows a bunch under $600 full retail.

keeping an eye on mud and pirate should be able to get you one cheaper than retail.

I am talking rears here. Fronts are way more expensive. Damn mini truck guys snapping 'em all up. Good thing a 4x/5x/6x/7x use 80 rears in the front.

i will have to keep my eyes on the boards then. getting the electric locker would be great, and even at $600 for two, that is less than spending the money on an ARB.

so you need custom axle shafts made for the rear if you go from semi to full float? full float axle shafts from a non-usa full float 40 axle wont do it? geeze, if i could convert a semi float to a full float, i would make brackets and put toy disc brakes on the rear too just for grins...

just checked car-parts. great lead. thanks gumby, i will keep that one in my shirt pocket for the future.

how do i get to your location? sounds like fun.

anybody got any links on an article doing the swap? a guy in UT did one once and i read up on it, but i dont know if the page is still posted anywhere...

just checked car-parts. great lead. thanks gumby, i will keep that one in my shirt pocket for the future.

how do i get to your location? sounds like fun.

anybody got any links on an article doing the swap? a guy in UT did one once and i read up on it, but i dont know if the page is still posted anywhere...

There are a few FJ40's running around Salt Lake with cable lockers that were installed by Cruiser Outfitters.

Talk to Kurt.

pretty sure it's still up in the tech links...'the ferg' wrote it up a couple years ago. good read w/ a lot of details.

malphrus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom