Builds 71 FJ40 build up using my 84 xcab chassis (camotoy) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.camotoy.com
figured i would post this over here too :D as some people dont go over to the pirate board..

well, i bought this gem a few years ago, slowly doing things to it, but never really driving it.
This is what it looked like when i bought it :D nice eh? :D
1986.jpg

I also have owned this for years now. started out as a bone stock truck, and now its a ARB locked F/R, dual cases, bla bla bla.
15.jpg

This truck served me well, was my DD for years, many trips to the hammers and the rubicon. finally bought a car to be my DD (06 WRX wagon) and ended up rolling the toyota :D
IMG_0785.JPG

well, now i have two trucks that i cant drive on the streets. and i need something to mess around with :D

So, i am going to take the FJ40 body off and put it on the 84 truck frame. using everything from the motor and frame down. (man i hope this is a good idea)

So, started with this today.
IMG_3704.JPG

just kept taking everything apart.

Last edited:
working alone sort of sucks, but good thing i have a fork lift. getting the flat bed off was a easy with the right toys :D
IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

had to just take one last pic of my stickers on the back window :D
IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

before i poked the forks through :D
IMG_3709.JPG

luckly this didnt happen till after i had it off the truck, the knot slipped :D
IMG_3712.JPG

Last edited:
now, this is how the truck sits now.
IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

and just so we know, this is how the FJ40 is sitting now
cage.jpg

I am hoping that i will get the FJ40 over to the truck (which is at my work) over this week, and see how it looks

Last edited:
well, got the chassis all cut up, took 17" out of the center of the 84 x cab chassis
here is the first cut.
frame4.JPG

the center part all cut up.
frame2.JPG

he, never done this before :D
frame.JPG

once cut, i pushed them together, put a bunch of clamps on it and welded it all up.
frame1.JPG

Last edited:
made up some frame plates. outside and inside.
frame3.JPG

fully welded.
frame6.JPG

now, the chasis is just right to fit under the body.

next up will be moving the engine back a few inches to match the front bib on the FJ. not sure on the rear drive line yet, as i need some weight on the chassis to see how the driveline angle will be.
IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

FJ40 in the background to size up the chassis
IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG

Last edited:
well, got the body on, looks like its going to be stetched in order to have a long enought rear driveline.

the FJ40 body fits real nice ontop of the 84 chassis. once i move the rear shock mount, it looks like it will fit right on top.
IMG_3735.JPG

i also think i want to have the grill at the front of the truck.
IMG_3738.JPG

a side shot. i figure i will have to add a foot after the door opening. figure that should be the easyest place to do it.

IMG_3739.JPG

oh, and one small issue. THIS THING IS WAY TOO TALL :D its right 8ft tall.

i think i am going to move the rear shackle mount to inside of the frame. that should lower it around 3 inches or so. I also think i am going to add a rear fuel cell to add some weight back there to bring it down more.

IMG_3742.JPG

Last edited:
well today, i cut up the body and stretched it. added about 14inches. (well, havent added yet :D)
here are the cut pics.
man, this was a pain in the ass. took me hours just do do this :D
IMG_3746.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

Last edited:
well, only had sunday to work on the truck, but have had a major headache all damn day..
Didnt get too much done.
started with making a bracket to bold on to the front half of the body, just like the stock set up.
IMG_3747.JPG

Then i went about making a rear ledge for the new sheet metal to sit on. figured this would be stronger then just welding it directly one.
the hard part was that i had to make that circle shape to match the orginal floor.
so i cut a bunch of slices in it.
IMG_3749.JPG

then i started shaping it to the shape needed.
IMG_3750.JPG

and the finished product all ground smothe.
IMG_3751.JPG

i also drilled holes in it so i could spot weld it on. i also put some small welds on the top to help out.

IMG_3754.JPG

Last edited:
Next up was the floor. I ordered a full sheet of 18ga (4x12 for 80bucks) i also had them shear 2 14"x4' long strips and 2 16"x4' this way i knew they were perfect :D :D

so i cut one to fit on the passenger side and drivers side. then i finished up making the center bump. I had to do some notching on sides to make it fit perfect.
IMG_3753.JPG

and the finish result. its not welded yet, and not fully done. but you get the idea. I haven't figured out if i want to replace the whole floor yet either. the passenger side has been cut up my the PO, and the drivers side is sort of rusted. I guess it would just be as easy to make a full piece. damn, i wish i thought of this when i was out in the shop today :D

IMG_3752.JPG

Last edited:
well, heres heres the flooring. damn s***ty looking. and some extra cut holes thanks to the PO

IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG

Last edited:
just a pic of a side shot with the side panel on. getting to look a little better.

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

Last edited:
so, i decided to just hack out the whole floor. and start from scratch.

I left a 3/4" lip on the sides, and cut right up the the front body mount.
Seemed like a good idea :D

IMG_3761.JPG

Last edited:
So, i made a new center crossmember to help support the new flooring, and body. I am doing the flooring in sections for ease of install. but the rear seemed a bit flimsy. so i rolled some 1/4" beads in it.
I also am raising the drivetrain so i can have a flat belly. But looks like i was a bit off on how high i made that center hump. I am going to cut it gown tomorrow to match the rear of the tub.

IMG_3762.JPG

Last edited:
well redid the center cross member again :D this time its the same height as the rear part of the tub.
IMG_3763.JPG

I cut the top off and just replaced the tubing with some 1/2" plate with a nice gusset under it. :D

IMG_3764.JPG

Last edited:
once that was finished, i started on the flooring. I used 1x1" tubing to make the under floor supports. Hopfully this should hold up well.

IMG_3765.JPG

now fully welded to the body. its attached to the front body mount, and under the middle of the door opening and to the new xmember.

IMG_3767.JPG

Last edited:
and here it is with the new floor pannels. all with 1/4" beads :D looks good. and should last a wile. i am going to spot weld it in and put seam sealer on it all. i need to fix a few of the foot well areas, and build a center hump section. but that should be somewhat easy :D :D

IMG_3766.JPG

Last edited:
oh yea, i am putting the rear shackles through the frame, that should bring down the rear a few inches. the front of the rears is already frenched into the frame. as for the front, i am contaplating moving the axle forward a little and maybe taking a leaf ouf of each pack to bring it down. Its way too tall as it sits now. almost 8ft tall.

Shane

You are *#%^ing crazy, but we like this sort of thing here. You got some skills to do that on your own. Keep us posted and keep the pictures coming.

holy hell that is a lot of work.

Looks good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom