FJ40 to FJ45 conversion transfer case Q? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to make a SWB FJ45 with a FJ40.

I have all of the frame figured out but now I am trying to figure out other details. I am doing the frame like Jack Rice on his Extended cab FJ45.

The cab is going to be done similar to this: http://fm4w.tyro.ca/viewtopic.php?t...start=15&sid=a3ea5032731141a6ac1a3dd47a3d6b76

I have a question on the transfer case. I am going to move the rear axle back. I know that the frame lengths for the FJ40 are FJ45 are as follows:
FJ40 90"
FJ45swb 106"

Can anyone give me the measurements of the axles and spring locations for the FJ45 swb?

Is the front axle the same distance from the front on the FJ40 and FJ45?

I am leaving the 2F. Do I have to lengthen the transfer case to reach the rear axle?

Thanks for the help :popcorn:

Note: Pics below arent mine!

FJ40toFJ45Tub003.jpg

DCP02483.jpg
DCP02509.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All:

You won't be "lenghtening the transfer case," but lengthening the rear drive shaft.

No big deal!

Good luck on the project - looks like you are making some progress on the bodywork!

Regards,

Alan

I have a question on the transfer case. I am going to move the rear axle back. I know that the frame lengths for the FJ40 are FJ45 are as follows:
FJ40 90"
FJ45swb 106"

Can anyone give me the measurements of the axles and spring locations for the FJ45 swb?
Those numbers are the wheelbase and not the frame length. Frame lengths will be much longer than that.

Is the front axle the same distance from the front on the FJ40 and FJ45?
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but as far as I know, the placement of the front axle on a 40 or a 45 would be the same in relation to the front fenders, firewall, etc.

THe only reason to worry about the spring locations on a 45 would be if you were planning on using 45 rear springs on your project, which are VERY DIFFERENT to 40 springs and IMO not worth the effort.

Since you are going to build a bed to suit, build it to whatever frame length and wheelbase suit your needs as well. Jim Sickles did the opposite of what you're planning, taking 14" out of the midsection of his 45 and cutting out the 45 spring hangers and replacing them with 40 spring hangers to run FJ40 rear leaf springs.

I think 4WOR did a write up on the project.

Hth

Mark A.

You do know that the FSM for the '40/'55/'45 has all the frame diminsions that you are looking for? And more.

Mark...

DOH... I meant drive shaft...

So is there a crusier drive shaft that will work? Or a generic drive shaft?

By the way....

THAT ISN"T MY BODY WORK ABOVE, IT WAS FOUND ON THE LINKED SITE.... IT IS WHAT INSPIRED ME!

Just make/have someone make a shaft. Doubtful that you will find an OEM FJ45 driveshaft just sitting around.

Dig in the manuals, search the FAQs, and get some hands on time with the rigs. All will be answered easist that way.

Mark...

cool thanks , funny we have two of these trucks sitting in the barn in SASK. :doh: wrong province tho , :cheers:

The springs measure 63" eye to eye, they came off the rear of an early 80's chev 1/2ton 2WD if I remember correctly.

Pretty common farm truck in the prairies so you find them in a farmers yard, behind his barn where he parks all of the rest of his junk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom