Running badly - possibly EGR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crholliday

Frisbeetarianist
Threads
After rummaging through the archives, I haven't found a good match for my problem. My symptoms are as follows:

- Sounds like it is misfiring
- Idles ok until it warms up then it idles intermittently poorly(like a misfire). Its as if it is running through a cycle and half the cycle is wrong.
- During moderate amounts of acceleration, it almost always runs like misfiring or is too rich.
- During heavy acceleration, it runs smooth or you just can't tell its running poorly.

I just changed the plugs and none of them looked terrible. I did not check the resistance on the wires when I was changing the plugs though. I checked most of the vacuum hoses for leaks and signs of wear.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Air intake hose?

Heh, more information:

I was pulling the wires off the distributor cap one at a time and one seemed to more or less not have an effect on the idle. Then I touched the center wire where it enters the dist cap and it shocked the crap out of me and the short caused the motor to stall. I checked to see if the wire was loose and it did not appear to be.

Hopefully that will be enough information to confirm a diagnosis? I could go get shocked a few more times if it will provide any value :D

Yeah, I think you need to test that shock thing out a few more times:rolleyes: :D

Sounds like at least one of your plugs is not firing some of the time. I'd replace the entire set with OEM. Be sure to put some dielectric on them when installing. While you're at it, get a new rotor too. Don't get an aftermarket one since there is definitely something different about the OEM ones--you can actually see some material on the business end that's not present on aftermarket.

Scamper said:
Yeah, I think you need to test that shock thing out a few more times:rolleyes: :D

Sounds like at least one of your plugs is not firing some of the time. I'd replace the entire set with OEM. Be sure to put some dielectric on them when installing. While you're at it, get a new rotor too. Don't get an aftermarket one since there is definitely something different about the OEM ones--you can actually see some material on the business end that's not present on aftermarket.

I shocked myself 6 more times and it always did the same thing :D

I think you are correct in your assessment. I am going to see if CDan's puppies need a snack.

Have you checked the ignition timing also?....

Follow up on this:

Changing the wires, rotor and dist cap solved my malfunction.

Woohoo!

C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom