Leaky CV's still (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

calamaridog said:
There is no way CV boot kits are $200... Not when the entire new CV, including boots, is $350...

And don't cut off the old clamp, just booty fab over or on top of it, can't hurt to try.

Is $350 really an accurate cost of a Toyota OEM CV joint? If so, that's fantastic considering what mine have been through. Is this price correct?

mild highjack:
has anybody been satisfied with these aftermarket boot replacement that are open and "close" up so you don't have to take anything apart - just slip them on?
(I don't mean for LCs)

I put them on an '83 GTI years ago - followed directions precisely. They popped open within a week.
-Mark

Don't have the exact price for the boot kit, but it is not that expensive. Requires removal of joint and disassembly. The $350 sounds right for the complete assembly. Don't ask me why I know.

sleeoffroad said:
Don't have the exact price for the boot kit, but it is not that expensive. Requires removal of joint and disassembly. The $350 sounds right for the complete assembly. Don't ask me why I know.

:D :D :D
(Driver error? :D )

clunk is gone, it was the 2 bolts on each side of the crossmemeber, they needed to be tighten WAY down, much more than the torque specs i think, as they were torqued to spec a few weeks ago.

I cleaned the CV up and will keep an eye on it, it might actaully not be leaking anymore, might have just been old gunga from before the drop kit install. Not to excited to mess with those silly boot clamps if I don't have to.

nice to know the CV's are "fairly" inexpenize

e9999 said:
mild highjack:
has anybody been satisfied with these aftermarket boot replacement that are open and "close" up so you don't have to take anything apart - just slip them on?
(I don't mean for LCs)

Helped put those on my buddies Taco and they work for several thousand miles:( We ended up taking everything apart and doing it the right way.

landpimp said:
might have just been old gunga from before the drop kit install.

I mon, the ole gunga got you all excited? I’m feelin kinda irie think’n you were in dire straights over GUNGA mon!
Never mind, that was a gunga flash back, I’m ok now. I hope your boots are fine.
So Slee's Dif drop kits actually will fix CV boot leaks? I’m feeling kinda irie again mon!

Dean

Like others, after doing the lift and drop bracket, I had the inner CV boots leaking from the clamp. I carefully ground off the old clamp (at the buckle) and installed a new clamp using a $12 clamp tightening tool. It seems to have stopped the leaks. Hopefully, I didn't lose too much grease.

There are different kinds of clamps. I used the one described in post #4 of this thread. Btw, after the lift, the occasional rear drivetrain "clunk" no longer happens!!

I was washing the LC and noticed one of my inner CV’s was leaking at the clamp, again. It did it after the lift but also stopped like everyone else’s. I cleaned it up real good using acetone on a rag. I used MotoSeal as mentioned in post #19. I have had real good luck with this stuff in the past on other projects . But after reading this post I went out and checked it to see how it was doing & sure enough it’s leaking again. I’ll get the clamp tool form Napa and use the clamps as mentioned in #9 as well.
Hoser, did you just do your lift? Or is this leaking for the second time. Anyone else have this problem, twice?
DMX

I did my lift maybe 500 miles ago. It started to leak almost immediately after the lift. This is the first time.

I wonder what caused mine to start again. I did drive through some mud in the mountains few weeks ago….

DMX84 said:
I wonder what caused mine to start again. I did drive through some mud in the mountains few weeks ago….

That is when mine started...after a 5-day hunting opener that involved heavy mud on one day...

Landpimp said:
nice to know the CV's are "fairly" inexpenize

inexpenize?? LOL! Best one yet :D

So lifting you LC is the main reason the CV's crack and start leaking? Anyone have any go bad that did not lift or tear them on the trail? Any Mall cruisers have a CV boot failure? Just trying to understand if this is a LC weak point or if it is caused by other means??

I think that when you lift them, they have to leak a little. They are running at more of an angle which requires more room in the boot. That grease has go somewhere. If it didn't leak out, the pressure would eventually tear the boot. I don't think that a little leakage is necessarily bad. A lot of leakage, now that's a different story. I would wipe it down, and then monitor how much more comes out after the initial leakage.

Just got mine lifted with the slee diff drop. The CV look clean I have only a 2" lift and with the diff drop the angle on the CV is pretty mild. How long did it take for you guys to notice any leakage?

SWUtah said:
So lifting you LC is the main reason the CV's crack and start leaking? Anyone have any go bad that did not lift or tear them on the trail? Any Mall cruisers have a CV boot failure? Just trying to understand if this is a LC weak point or if it is caused by other means??

This is not a weak point. CV's will eventually leak and the boots are going to need replacement eventually. I had a leaking boot on my Tacoma at 35,000 mi. while my buddy went 160,000 mi. on his. Just dumb luck I guess.

If you lift an older truck with a bunch of miles already on the boots you are going to hasten the demise of the boots.

rzpapp said:
Just got mine lifted with the slee diff drop. The CV look clean I have only a 2" lift and with the diff drop the angle on the CV is pretty mild. How long did it take for you guys to notice any leakage?

About 2-months and one big mud day!:D

SWUtah....

Our 2000 LC is showing leaking inner CV joints at the boot clamps at 62K miles. No lift kit or suspension mods. No mudding or rock crawiling. We do some riding on sand in the summers, but pretty tame.

The leaks are at the clamps. The boots are intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom