new lc or lx?? what is the difference? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you are seriously considering getting a new vehicle, then I would wait until mid-year when the newer 4.7 VVT engines start showing up in the vehicles... More power for the same gas mileage.

r3run33 said:
play nice now=:) ok the lc we seen has everything but no folding mirrors (this maybe a luxury item but i actually use it on my lx fairly often) now with regards to the hyd susp so at max level the lx has more ground clearance then the lc? and even better apr and dep angles? that cant be true? i would think they would be the same or you would have seen the hyd susp offered in the lc

Yes, at the "normal" level it sits at the same height as the LC. At the "low" level it's a little over an inch lower than the LC. At the "high" level, it's about 2 - 3" above a LC. Christo's LX was essentially modified to sit on the "high" setting all the time.

DSC00036.jpg

It's only available in the highest-end Land Cruisers in other markets, markets where the name "Lexus" doesn't exist. The LX470 is the high end Land Cruiser in the USA, so it gets the hydro.

And you will notice the difference between a Lexus dealership and a Toyota one. You may, for some reason unkown to me (maybe your dealer is bad?), think Lexus service is nothing special now, but you will when the Toyota service department is dealing with you. Go to the JD Power and Ass. websight and look at the dealership ratings. While Toyota is right behind Lexus in vehicle quality (near or at the top), they are WAY behind in their dealership ratings. Lexus is #1 in that regard.

yesterday i was in desperate need of wiper blade refills for our 80 and 100. i went to the toyota store nearby and was nearly "sold" new wipers. the parts kid was telling me that that toyota prices the refills and the wipers identically. he handed me a bill for $62 for six blades. i called his bluff and spoke with manager and was informed that the six refills were in-stock and would cost $30. obviously i went ballistic. this is the kind of crap that toyota stores feed to the owners of their "premium" vehicle. there is ZERO comparison between the treatment (before and after the sale) received at a lexus store versus a toytoa store.

I also thought that the Lexus had better sound deadening in the floor and thicker glass than the LC. If you read the lexus sales brochure it also says that the gears in the gear box , diff, and transfer case are hand fitted to give smother and quieter running. I think that the leather in the seats is supposed to be of a better quality also .
regards Tony M.

Tonym said:
If you read the lexus sales brochure it also says that the gears in the gear box , diff, and transfer case are hand fitted to give smother and quieter running. Tony M.

I've never read this before? That would be very expensive and time consuming.

sorry to beat down lexus but i guess from having one and going to the dealership for regular stuff i may be spoiled but i dont think toyota is that bad if you look at it ;the service guys are still people and they are the ones working on the vehicles. i dont think lexus gives the techs any special training; the service managers may have some but not the actual techs. hey wait i did not want this to turn into a debate about the 2 i just wanted some info on the basic vehicle. but hey calamaridog mentioned the vvt and also i heard the 5.6l maybe offered also any info on that??

No word yet if they will be offered in the LC/LX470, to my knowledge.

The debate on dealerships began because that is part of deciding which vehicle to buy, and part of the price difference between a Lexus and a Toyota.

There is a difference, you just don't know it yet. We're not talking about the actual service they do to your vehicle, we're talking about how they treat you. Do you get a loaner car from your Lexus dealership? You should, but there's no way you'll get one from Toyota. Do they do the work when they say they will? Lexus probably does; it's a crapshoot with Toyota.

Things like that. YMMV depending on what dealership you use, but I know that, by and large, the differences are huge.

On top of that...
(when I speak of Lexus vs Toyota, I'm talking about my local dealerships -- I have experience with both)
- if there's a delay in getting the part, with Lexus, you have a loaner so you can still get around -- with Toyota, it's too frickin' bad for you.
- if they're out of loaners, they'll rent a car for you (at no cost to you)
- Lexus always washed my truck -- Toyota never did
- Lexus service people were always extremely courteous -- not always the case with Toyota.
- Lexus offered to pick up my vehicle and drop it off -- not a chance Toyota would do that.

Sure, it's disingenuous butt-kissing, but I'd rather have that than be basically told to fawk off until they're done.

Reactions: rvk
r3run33 said:
sorry to beat down lexus but i guess from having one and going to the dealership for regular stuff i may be spoiled but i dont think toyota is that bad if you look at it ;the service guys are still people and they are the ones working on the vehicles. i dont think lexus gives the techs any special training; the service managers may have some but not the actual techs. hey wait i did not want this to turn into a debate about the 2 i just wanted some info on the basic vehicle. but hey calamaridog mentioned the vvt and also i heard the 5.6l maybe offered also any info on that??

Me thinks there be some xageratting going on here :flipoff2: Besides, I get PLENTY of looks :eek: from Service and Sales when I roll into the Toyota dealership with my just washed LC - much depends on how you come across aka how they read you. Besides, I would rather roll in being the BIG fish in the pond...also, I don't really see the need for my LC to raise UP and down :rolleyes: Toyota land Cruiser is why I bought into this "truck" anyhow - Lexus is fine, but in a luxury automobile - IMO :D

but those "looks" that they give you are similar to that which a predator gives to to it's prey. they see you coming and "know" that you can swing the payments (or cash) for a landcruiser. you may be a big fish, but they've got you on the line and are reeling you in! :D

BOUNDER said:
also, I don't really see the need for my LC to raise UP and down :rolleyes: Toyota land Cruiser is why I bought into this "truck" anyhow - Lexus is fine, but in a luxury automobile - IMO :D

Two big reasons for your vehicle to be able to raise up and down:

1. Parking garages. Live where there is hail, and you will definitely want a roof over your head wherever you park. A lifted 100 with 35" tires would come close to scraping on many.

2. Giving grandma a ride.

Other than that, there is no real reason to have adjustable ride height.

Have you ever ridden in an LX? If you are buying (used especially), it's worth the price difference IMHO for the stereo, better leather, more creature comforts, and especially the suspension.

shocker said:
Two big reasons for your vehicle to be able to raise up and down:

1. Parking garages. Live where there is hail, and you will definitely want a roof over your head wherever you park. A lifted 100 with 35" tires would come close to scraping on many.

2. Giving grandma a ride.

Other than that, there is no real reason to have adjustable ride height.

Have you ever ridden in an LX? If you are buying (used especially), it's worth the price difference IMHO for the stereo, better leather, more creature comforts, and especially the suspension.

Ya, if I wasn't going to be an off-roader I'd a got a LX just for the Levinson stereo. For me though I'd a had to rip everything out of a new SUV (I began modifying 3.5 years ago). Plus I wanted my rig to say LAND CRUISER. :)

BOUNDER said:
Me thinks there be some xageratting going on here :flipoff2: Besides, I get PLENTY of looks :eek: from Service and Sales when I roll into the Toyota dealership with my just washed LC - much depends on how you come across aka how they read you. Besides, I would rather roll in being the BIG fish in the pond...also, I don't really see the need for my LC to raise UP and down :rolleyes: Toyota land Cruiser is why I bought into this "truck" anyhow - Lexus is fine, but in a luxury automobile - IMO :D

I agree 100% with bounder.....I am sure that this "unjust rich-guy profiling" happens in any business, but you can NEVER put all Toyota dealerships (just like people) into that kind of stereotype.....
The exact opposite happend to a pal of mine...He went to a local Lexus dealership and was told that he could only purchas wiper blade assy`s for a ridiculous amount of money, but he remembered that he had gotten refills from the TOYOTA dealer (ME)....funny thing is, Lexus said they could not even find part#s for the refills....hmmm...Makes you wonder, eh?....

SINCITY100 said:
I agree 100% with bounder.....I am sure that this "unjust rich-guy profiling" happens in any business, but you can NEVER put all Toyota dealerships (just like people) into that kind of stereotype.....
The exact opposite happend to a pal of mine...He went to a local Lexus dealership and was told that he could only purchas wiper blade assy`s for a ridiculous amount of money, but he remembered that he had gotten refills from the TOYOTA dealer (ME)....funny thing is, Lexus said they could not even find part#s for the refills....hmmm...Makes you wonder, eh?....

and here's my story from a few posts ago...

ace10 said:
yesterday i was in desperate need of wiper blade refills for our 80 and 100. i went to the toyota store nearby and was nearly "sold" new wipers. the parts kid was telling me that that toyota prices the refills and the wipers identically. he handed me a bill for $62 for six blades. i called his bluff and spoke with manager and was informed that the six refills were in-stock and would cost $30. obviously i went ballistic. this is the kind of crap that toyota stores feed to the owners of their "premium" vehicle. there is ZERO comparison between the treatment (before and after the sale) received at a lexus store versus a toytoa store.

this isn't an isolated example. i can name at least three toy dealers that have tried to jack with me, in one way or another, while the lexy dealers(two of them), have not (at least overtly) screwed me. the small premium is worth keeping my blood pressure at a reasonable level.

not all toyota dealers are like this, c dan is a sterling example, but the ones around here go out of their way to be a-holes.

$0.02

Or perhaps.....

Has anyone seen that sign behind the parts counter that reads.." PRICE IS BASED ON CUSTOMERS ATTITUDE"........

LMAO....

Also makes you wonder........

;)

BOUNDER said:
Besides, I would rather roll in being the BIG fish in the pond...

If this is really that important to you ( :princess: ) consider that Lexus is the big fish and the LX is the most expensive vehicle they make by $10000 :eek:
Personally, when I roll in I shoot the crap with the wrenches, bring in donuts sometimes and communicate that my LX works just like my cheap-o Taco. They appreciate my demeanor and treat me with respect, and that's at a Toyota dealership mind you, not a Lexus dealership.

BOUNDER said:
I don't really see the need for my LC to raise UP and down :rolleyes:

Shocker addressed this and I have been glad I had my AHC plenty of times both for raising and lowering. It won't let you cruise moab 10x easier but it is nice to have when "piddlin' around". It's nice to be able to adjust the damping rate to the situation as well I think. This is a personal preference, not a situation where everyone is gonna say "its great!" or "it sucks!" kind of issue though.

SINCITY100 said:
Or perhaps.....
Has anyone seen that sign behind the parts counter that reads.." PRICE IS BASED ON CUSTOMERS ATTITUDE"........
LMAO....
;)

I'll put my faith in JD Powers poll of thousands of people to correctly reflect the consensus of Lexus dealers vs. Toyota dealers overall. That being said, I go to my Mr. T dealer and have had great experiences with them.

r3run33:
They are both GREAT vehicles that would fit the described use very well. Drive 'em both and see if you think the LX features are overkill or indespensible. This is NOT a factual decision, it is dependent upon the person and is a seat of the pants decision.

SINCITY100 said:
Or perhaps.....

LMAO....

;)
you're right. you must know me and how i operate. screw me and i am not a pleasant m-f'er... treat me fairly and i'm your best customer.

BTW-if you work for a toy dealer, then you are proving my point to a T.

thank you.

i'm done.

I noticed the Japanese LC mags have various auto height control ECU's (reasonably cheap, $100-150 range) so you don't have to finick around when you install a lift on your LX like Christo did. Some of the AHC ECU's claim quite a bit more extension.

I did read that the glass on the GX470 is thicker than on the Prado (noise reduction), and Toyota specially redesigned the wiper blades to further reduce noise. I heard (can't confirm) that the Lexus engines are hand picked (the smoothest ones go into the lexus, others go into the LC and 4runner). After riding in a new Toyota Crown Majesty w/ 3.0L V6 (probably the same V6 used in most toyotas), I couldn't even tell the engine was on. It was even quieter than riding in a new lexus ES. I think you can also get those headlight washers on the LX. They actually come standard on overseas LC's but from previous posts, not on USA LC's.

It seems a USA LC100 is the LC100 "VX Limited" version sold in Japan (the lowest version of the LC's sold), except w/ the leather seat option and dvd. The "G-selection" version (like the toyota "limited" versions sold here) comes w/ AHC STANDARD (still optional leather), but that at least closes the gap between the LC and LX in terms of features.

If I were buying brand new, and money was NOT an issue, I would go with the Lexus LX all day. Though there are more gadgets in the Lexus (more things can go wrong), but I wouldn't be as concerned since the LX would be very well cared for by me and not abused/neglected. You also get a longer warranty with Lexus.

The difference in dealership experience is a huge in some areas and the same in others.

Service Advisors: I've got an excellent one at the Lexus dealer that is honest, but I've dealt with a couple at the same dealership who are complete liars. Yota dealers in my area seem to be more suspect of trying to rip people off, but I wouldn't put it past any dealership - period. However, the service advisors at Lexus definitely seem to put more effort into making sure I am very satisfied. For example, I dropped my Lexus sedan off for service and mentioned that the drivers seat seemed to wear a little quicker than I thought it should (no big deal, just had a little more wrinkles than I liked). I got a phone call later in the day from my service advisor telling me that my car was serviced and that they ordered a new seat of leathers for my seat (free of course)! There are a few other instances like that from Lexus that I know Yota would never do for me.

Mechanics: I wouldn't put one over the other, I've had crappy and excellent mechanics at both dealerships. Once you find a great mechanic, make sure you ask for him by name. Also let him and the service manager know what a great job he does for you.

Facilities: Lexus hands down. Very clean, Internet browsing lounge, free soda, donuts and snacks, kids playing area, etc. Lexus loaner cars.

In the end, it’s all about people and relationships. Whatever you choose, if you’re cool with the people behind the counter, you will have a better experience than “John Doe” off the street.

ace10 said:
you're right. you must know me and how i operate. screw me and i am not a pleasant m-f'er... treat me fairly and i'm your best customer.

BTW-if you work for a toy dealer, then you are proving my point to a T.

thank you.

i'm done.

ok... I`ll be nice ;p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom