Are 4 cyl 4x4 trannys interchangeable, between an 88 reg cab 4x4 and 89 runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I can pickup an 89 runner 4x4 with a whiny transmission for @ a geezel, but can I replace said transmission with a spare out of an 88 reg cab 4x4 PU? Both engines are the 22re, BTW. Should I switch out transfer case as well (altogether with my spare), and will I need to do anything with the driveshaft?

Also, how about a little rust hole over one of the doors? Not bad underneath, but the hole concerns me. Is this the beginning of bad rust everywhere, or do those 2 door runners have this weird flaw?

Thanks.

Both trannies should be a W56, no problem swapping them. Yeah, swap the whole thing, t-case and all. Driveshaft shouldn't be a problem.

Where exactly is the rust hole? Yes, these trucks rust BAD.

And what the heck is a "geezel"?

22r and 22re motors have a w56 tranny with the gear driven t-case. Some mid-90's had a G58(?) with the 22re motor, not sure why but most still at the time used the w56.

The 3vze used the R150 with chain driven t-case. This is a better tranny than the w56, however you will need a new bell housing to use it on a 22re motor and the rear crossmember. Which for the bell housing, means finding a R151 that came on a 22re-t and then you'd be better off using the R151 since it has a LOW 1st and lower 2nd. Also the R151 has the gear driven t-case.

22r and 22re motors have a w56 tranny with the gear driven t-case. Some mid-90's had a G58(?) with the 22re motor, not sure why but most still at the time used the w56.

The 3vze used the R150 with chain driven t-case. This is a better tranny than the w56, however you will need a new bell housing to use it on a 22re motor and the rear crossmember. Which for the bell housing, means finding a R151 that came on a 22re-t and then you'd be better off using the R151 since it has a LOW 1st and lower 2nd. Also the R151 has the gear driven t-case.

#1: shhhh!

#2: RET 2WD (R150) bellhousings will also work on (V6) R150 but 2WD has no low 1st and duh TC,

The fuel injected trucks and 4Runners from 85 to 95 should have the W56. The carburated ones would have the G52.

You will need to check on where the T-case shifter is located. Trucks often came with the forward mounted shifter and 4Runners have the top mounted T-case shifter.

The fuel injected trucks and 4Runners from 85 to 95 should have the W56. The carburated ones would have the G52.

You will need to check on where the T-case shifter is located. Trucks often came with the forward mounted shifter and 4Runners have the top mounted T-case shifter.

Not all of the 22RE powered 89+ trucks and 90+ 4Runners came with a W56, those that had ADD came with a G58 transmission and a chain drive case.

A 89 22RE 4Runner and a 88 22RE pickup would have came with the same W56-B transmission and type 3 top mount gear drive T case.

Great info to know, guys, thanks a lot.

The Runner, however, was a ginormous POS, not even worth the geezel (G, or grand, or $1000 KLF!). There was a hole over the windshield I could go three knuckles deep in...with three fingers.

Glad to have the thread in the FAQs, however, so all wasn't meaningless.

The 1988 22RE transfer- case was the last year of the Top-Loader!! The 1989 carbureted, EFI, or V6 transfer-cases were all Front-Loaders. Whats this got to do with your transmission choice??? The tranny shifters come in various flavors, and the actual tranny/transfer shifter could prevent you from pulling the swap you desire??? Actually you might be able to pull this off with a shifter/ shift-rail swap???

22RE and 2L

I am just woundering if a 22RE transmission will bolt up to my 84 diesel motor. I am having a hard timing finding a diesel tranny and a harder time getting help on how to solve my problem. Just want to know if the gas transmission will work and from what years I can get one from...

I am just woundering if a 22RE transmission will bolt up to my 84 diesel motor. I am having a hard timing finding a diesel tranny and a harder time getting help on how to solve my problem. Just want to know if the gas transmission will work and from what years I can get one from...

it will work, just keep you bellhousing. G and W series have the same front tranny pattern so either will work with your bellhousing.

I am sure this has been posted somewhere on here but I have been unable to locate it. I have a 1988 Toyota 4RnR with the v6, 5sp that I wrecked. I bought a 1987 4RnR with a blown up 4 cylinder manual tranny that I was going to move my v6 into. I am being told that I will need to swap trannys and all the wiring underdash and engine bay to make it work. I really hope that its not true lol Any help will be appreciated. Thank you

^^^ Not only all that, but you're gonna also have to weld in new engine mounts on the frame.

just find a better 22r or build one...eitherway would be better and easier than bothering to put a v..6..a...v.6.....cant even type it...:rolleyes:

If the V6 is a runner and solid overall, I am sure you could sell it for enough to rebuild a 22R. The 22R is an easy motor to work on and if the 87 is clean and straight, it would be worth it to make the effort. Even if you don't keep it, you could easily make your money back and then some on a running rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom