Frame RE&RE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there folks, my trusty rusty bj60's spring mounts are getting ready to seperate from the frame. I've found a replacement and I think I can use a friend's shop complete with a small forklift (sweet!). I've read through a bunch of threads here and I'm looking forward to fixing my beast.

Mine's an 84 and the donor is an 85, is this going to be a problem?

What I need is a list of parts that I'll need or things that you think should be looked at or replaced while she's under the knife. It's my daily driver so I don't want to have it off the road for too long.

Things I've thought of:

Body mounts, I'll go polyurethane and maybe a 1" lift. Will I need to move my rad?
Shackle bushings, also poly.

Thanks for your help in advance folks!

Some photos to generate some interest:
truckrealbad.jpg

truckbad.jpg

I'm waiting for my paypal to update so I can purchase a star.

been there, done that.
4 1/2" angle grinder, a few hard wheels and sanding wheels, a hammer and welder is about all you need.

i poped a few body mount brackets and the rear most spring/shackle hangers off. used grade 5 bolts as well as welding to get them back on.
frame60.JPG
frame60Cc.JPG

Definately a good time for a frame swap! Is the donor frame a model year 85? If so, then no problem I believe. If it's a production 8/85 or so, I believe that you will have crossmember problems, but I'm not sure if it's only for the gassers. This would be due to the spacer after the H42 tranny in US spec FJ60s post mid 85 production.

I have a broken spring hanger myself and need to do the same. Is it just a matter of cutting all the rusted part off the frame and then welding a new piece into the frame followed by bolting and welding the spring hanger? My frame is pretty bad and it seems I would have to replace a big chunk of the frame to get it solid again. Any experience with cutting and replacing whole sections of the frame? Is there some kind of box commercially available frame stock that would work? Bending it would also be a challenge.

By the way, my pass front broke away while I was wheeling. I used a ratchet strap to hold it in place and drove it home about 60 miles. By the time I got home, my buddy behind me said the truck was dog-legging pretty bad. Made it home though.

With the amount of effort that it would require to cut out and re-weld the metal necessary, it might be just as easy to completely replace the frame, just as cdnroofrack is doing.

Yeah, I saw the thread where the guy replaced the frame in south america and it seemed like major drama. Although, mechanically the truck runs great with 250k, the body is pretty rusted. I am not sure it is worth it to replace the frame just for a trail rig. I need to try to fix this spring hanger and I think the rest will hold together for a while. The other hangers are suspect too though. Sounds like I would be better parting this thing out. Didn't mean to hijack.

I just got off the phone with the local Toyota dealership and they wanted $1000 for a body mount kit.
:eek:

I think I'm going to use one from these guys http://www.4crawler.com unless someone can recommend a mud supporter to purchase from

Last edited:
In response to your post on my frame swap thread. Easy to realign the body. Just drop the bolts into the holes and when they drop into the holes in the frame you're there. It's just a little jiggling to make it all line up.

We used the body mounts from the new frame. They were as good as the frame were, ie: NO rust or corrosion!

How does your "new" frame look?

Where in the Kootenays are you? We were just at my daughters place in Cranbrook for a week or two with the truck about when you reponded on my thread. Maybe you saw my blue '82 BJ60 driving around? It has the PTO winch so it is a little distinctive.

I'm in Rossland, I didn't see your truck but I'm kind of off the beaten path up here in the mountains. My new frame looks pretty good, it's at xl welding getting the rear crossmember replaced (little bit rusty) and the whole thing is getting sandblasted. I'm going to paint it myself. I should be staring work on it this week. I'm going to take photos and maybe do a thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom