Fusable links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys ... I opened another can of worms ...LOL ... I went to instal my new positive battery terminal and found that one of the fusable links had been repaired in the past and they did a real crappy job .
It was one of the wires in the block terminal ...it looks like it was a blue or teal wire at one time .
The used a yellow butt connector to re-join the 2 pieces ...it worked the whole 2 yrs I have had the truck so I can knock it but I will fix it .
It looks like 10 ga ... From the reading dealer is the best place to get fusable link material .
I was considering replacing the link with a Maxi fuse ...I have the fuse holders and the fuses .
Has anyone gone this route ?
Thanks

Greg

The whole fusible link is available as a unit from CDan for around $10, IIRC. Probably not worth the time/effort/money to try to repair the existing one. :)

My truck has been down for almost a month ...My fault because I did not order every little part when ordering parts from Dan .
I am expecting my caliper washers so I can get my truck on the road .
I can't wait another week to get the link from Dan ... I may try my local toyota dealer tomarrow .
I have all the maxi stuff here so I might just put 2 ends on this holder and go the maxi route .
It was the link with the bigger nut on the block ... my electrical manual is at home so I don't know what it powers and the amp rating on that link ... looks pretty fat I'm thinking 50amps .
Thanks

Greg

I had a repaired fuseable link as well and the "new wire" is the one that burnt on me. If you fix it order one anyways, and put it in when it gets there. I got mine for 10 from Dan, but the local toyo place was only 12.90 and the lexus dealer was 14.30 something:rolleyes:. I ordered an extra for the glove box as well.

[hijack]
How much are fusible links for a 3FE? or are they the same set?
[/hijack]

I had a repaired fuseable link as well and the "new wire" is the one that burnt on me. If you fix it order one anyways, and put it in when it gets there. I got mine for 10 from Dan, but the local toyo place was only 12.90 and the lexus dealer was 14.30 something:rolleyes:. I ordered an extra for the glove box as well.
You don't wan't to mess around with these links, you have to install the real fusable links because they are designed to melt when things go wrong and will save the rest of your harness. BTW, why did your's melt ? I just had a link melt on me after I did my HG repair, still working on it ,and it looks like a short somewhere... did you have a short?

Anyway... a maxifuse type arrangement would be more convienent but I would'nt want to trust my entire harness to some new idea or implementation... IMHO... :)

--don

I was considering replacing the link with a Maxi fuse ...I have the fuse holders and the fuses .
Has anyone gone this route ?

Mr Toyoda could easily have built the truck with a conventional fuse instead of a fusible link. He didn't, and there is a reason that he didn't. Replace it with the proper link from Toyota.

If you are working on a problem as dcarlo is, then it might make sense to temporarily put in a conventional fuse of the appropriate size (not sure how those would equate though...) since that would make it easier to find the short.

-B-

I don't beleave maxi fuse's were used in 1996 in any cars and trucks ...The maxi is a replacement in most newer vehicles instead of a fuseable .
A maxi fuse has a faster blow time then a fusable ...means less chances of damange to electrical componants .
I build alot of large dc power equipment and I could not tell you the last time a print came thru that had a fusable link ...all use a maxi fuses as a safety ...I have fuses and holders rated for up to 200amps dc .
I read thru the one of the tech specs from toyota and it called for a 50 amp fusable link ...I installed a holder that was rated for 80 amps but installed a 50 fuse ...it will do the same as a link it's just easyer to replace .
When I make my next large order from Dan I will have him send me the links .
Mine did not go bad due to any electrical failure ...some dumb a** put the wrong battery in my 80 before I got the truck and decided to cut and splice and butt connect one of the link wires ...It was working the whole 2yrs I had the truck but was far from the work I do .
So I bought a new battery over the weeked and installed the new terminals made up my maxi fuse holder using the same terminal ends as toyota , I instaled it , ran great ...I measured the max amps that were drawn thru that wire ...it was perfect for me !

Do as I say not as I do !

Thanks Guys

Greg

[hijack]
How much are fusible links for a 3FE? or are they the same set?
[/hijack]

FJ80 and FZJ80 both use the same link, 90982-08264.

D-

Last edited:
Are the fusible links all supposed to be connected to the positve terminal? I don't think I quite understand how this system works.

Thanks again Dan ...I am going to wait til I have a larger order before I call you for these ...
I answer the other guys question ...A fusable link can be used in a positive or negitive ground system ...There are a few positive ground systems out ...Older Trumph motorcycles are one .
The wire is designed to melt in the cases of a short or overload of current being pulled thru that conductor .
The maxi dose the same thing as a fusable link ...It looks like a very large blade automotive fuse ...there is no way you could mix them up with regular blade fuse .
I will say if any one has to use a maxi to get out of a bind til you can get a new link from Dan ...A fusable link is much smaller gauge then the wire it's linking too ...It's designed that way ...It can usually handel twice as much current as a wire half it's size .
Thats why it is suggested to replace with OEM ...A fusable link in wire size may look the same but is is not the same !

Thanks Guys

Greg

You don't need to order caliper washers; you can wash them by-hand.

Is this thing on? :D

What do you mean by "carry"?

Of course they can get 'em for ya.

Do they have them in stock? Who the h*ll knows??

Well, CDan probably knows...:D

Just checkin'. :flipoff2:

I melted 3 fusable links before I found my short circuit. I was able to put an inline 30amp fuse to test with and it seemed to work ok .. for testing only... got tired of ordering links at 11 dollars a pop. The short was due to an injector wire caught underneath the valve cover. According to the EWD, I don't see any protection of the ignition wiring and/or fuel injection wiring ... other than the fusable link.... it works and has so far saved my harness !! and a** !

==don

96r50;

The positive side of the battery acts like the main power distribution point. the negative side acts as the common return for all systems.

Off the positive battery, the primary bus splits into 3 different loads. Each load is a bunch of circuits in the cruiser (The starter motor is a separate non-fused load). Each of the 3 loads is fused (called a fuse link). The fuse link is just a piece of wire that acts like a circuit breaker; however, it is very current tolerant. It is cheap and will take abuse, but will over heat and burn out if there is a real short in the load circuit.

I don't like the way Toy did their fuse links and needed something a little different, so I did this:

http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/BattProj2/page4.html

96r50;

The positive side of the battery acts like the main power distribution point. the negative side acts as the common return for all systems.

Off the positive battery, the primary bus splits into 3 different loads. Each load is a bunch of circuits in the cruiser (The starter motor is a separate non-fused load). Each of the 3 loads is fused (called a fuse link). The fuse link is just a piece of wire that acts like a circuit breaker; however, it is very current tolerant. It is cheap and will take abuse, but will over heat and burn out if there is a real short in the load circuit.

I don't like the way Toy did their fuse links and needed something a little different, so I did this:

http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/BattProj2/page4.html

Wow Mr. Morse... this is something I would definitely want to do.. the short-circuit I had practically started an engine fire...fricking smoke everywhere , would your setup prevent actual burning?
Would love to see more details/write-up on this mod?

thanks !
--don

Noticed you have lot's of info on the site...excellent work, no need for more info...:)

thanks,
--don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom