12" FOX shocks in the Rear of a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After I have installed 4" lift springs(SUA) on my 71 fj40, I need something other than the Rancho RS5000 shocks that the PO installed. The Ranchos have a short stroke so they were limiting my axles to droop for some good articulation. I got my hands on some 12" FOX Shocks with resivors.
The only problem is that these shocks are 19" long compressed and 31" stretched. So i had to make em work. I built a shock hoops on the inside of my rollcage over the fenders. And I had to cut holes through the floor. Didnt want to but I did.
On the axle I cut the original stud off the perch and welded in tabs.
Here are some pics.
RearShockBuild01.jpg

RearShockbuild02.jpg

RearShockBuild04.jpg

I still have to add some supports on the hoops because they flex. and I will box up the tabs on top.:cheers:

Whoa.

I'm using 12" Bilstein 5125s on my SOA and using the stock mounts at the top. They're about 17" and change eye-to-eye compressed and under 30" extended.

It's not done yet so I can't be sure there are no issues, but my initial measurements made me think they'd work.

Looks like you made the back seat unusable. :meh:

It does look cool though, It will be interesting to see if it flexes better. Any reason you did not mount them strait up to come through the floor just inside the fender well to still have access to the seat?

Tim

It might be a good idea to put a vertical bar from the shock mount point up to the roll cage. It will add a significant amount of rigidity to the shock mount and make it suitable for air-shocks in the future.

Leni

Looks good , but like everyone else ? Limits your back seat use? Can you come up thrugh the fender wells? Maybe use the hoops you made just up and down not laying down?

The reson why I mounted them there is because the frame would be in the way if i tryed to make the shocks more vertical mounting them in the same stock location(above the spring pack). This is the least amount of angle there could be and the closest to the inside of the frame rails. When the shocks are compressed they move closer to the frame, thats why the holes are elongated in those directions.

As for being on the outside of the frame, I was worried that the tire might get too close to the shock body. I have disc brakes back there, so the calipers are in the way if I were to have mounted the bottom of the shock closer to the tire. But I did want my shocks to be as vertical as possible because they are more efficeint.

The rear seat is a novelty and its still usable, for one person, two if you wanted some lovin'.

If i get some time tomorrow I will weld in some supports like toymanic mentioned. Something like this
SETUP.jpg

That looks like a Lot of uptravel, looks like 80%up 20%down travel. Withe that high a mount you can go 14/16" travel shocks.

Looks can be deceiving. With the top back on and gear loaded up the shocks will be 50% up and 50% down, 6"and 6". I am going to lenghten the bump stops a bit.

Looks can be deceiving. With the top back on and gear loaded up the shocks will be 50% up and 50% down, 6"and 6". I am going to lenghten the bump stops a bit.

It's pretty tough to use 6" of uptravel unless you're racing Baja. Try to get it down to 5" or 4" of up and the rest down.

Something like this
SETUP.jpg

that's exactly what i thought it needed when i saw the first picture....i like it, and it looks like people can still sit back there to me anyway.....those are some nice shocks, if you ever decide you want to do a 4-link you should be able to keep that setup and shocks the same and just add some coil springs and links

It's pretty tough to use 6" of uptravel unless you're racing Baja. Try to get it down to 5" or 4" of up and the rest down.

Maybe I want to race the baja. Haha. Next year at pismo ill be getting some air out of the dunes.:steer:
Thanks for the tips.:cheers:

Here are the pictures of the rear shocks all braced up.
InsideBackDone.jpg

CornerDone.jpg

SideDone.jpg

Now I need to put some 12" in the front. Coming soon.
FrontSky.jpg

looks good. im glad your going to use the seat i gave you. we gave rob the rear latch bracket when he was up here. not sure if you got it from him yet.

@Travis. Thanks again. I did get the bracket from Rob. I gotta get up the mountain this winter with this beast. You making a front 14bolts yet?

@Twisty. I really haven't got to try it out yet. I wanted to get the shocks in then check it out. I know it's helped out on the road. Minimal body roll on whine-D roads. I will get some pics of it.

okay cool. ya you should come up for some snow boarding my house is 5 miles from snow valley. land cruiser are snow machines . no i sold my 14 bolt i found out i have a child on the way recently. so my cruiser is pretty much done being modified for now. not a bad thing just big suprise. corey on the other hand will have a boat anchor 14 bolt on his cruiser. i can make fun of it now that i sold mine.

Nice truck!!!

Let us know on the sway bar and if you have some pictures of the install I would love to see them!!!

What are you running for rear shackles? :beer:

Tim

The shackles look like Downey cantilevers to me. Some type of two part shackle like that atleast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom