Home Brew Intercooler (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

matt.mcinnes

2F-ETI
Threads
This is posted in the 40's section but I though I would re-post it here too as it may be of more use.

Last edited:
Very nice handiwork there.
When you get it done, have you got enough instrumentation to work out how much heat it's pulling out?

Very nice handiwork there.
When you get it done, have you got enough instrumentation to work out how much heat it's pulling out?

The Wolf V500 can and will monitor the air temp after the intercooler in the plenium , I have access too a laser temp sensor too. Though I am tempted to get an air temp sensor on the input just to see if this home brew kit works and if so how well the ECU can handle it no problem.

Some numbers would be interesting for sure.

Just have to figure out what radiator and thermo fan to use along with an electric pump.

Last edited:
Just have to figure out what radiator and thermo fan to use along with an electric pump.

Since you're in Aussie, the subaru air/water intercooler pumps shouldn't be too hard to find. I've got one and they are ideal, pull about 5 amps at full load.
I'm using a cabin heater radiator. It does the job, find one from a bus cabin heater if you feel the need for something bigger.

Intercoolers @ 14PSI can drop ( properly suited ) about 50ºC - 60ºC at HW speed ( talking about air to air ) how much you expect on you . ?

BTW it's a nice job !

Intercoolers @ 14PSI can drop ( properly suited ) about 50ºC - 60ºC at HW speed ( talking about air to air ) how much you expect on you . ?

BTW it's a nice job !

I have no idea, the math that goes into calcultaing these thing is way over my head :D
One thing I do know is at comp highway speeds are never achived, I was quoted $3000Aus buy a company here in Melbourne that use these cores, for a custom made intercooler using 3 cores (they said that would be sufficient to my needs). I bought 4 on ebay and what the hell used all of them:D for $50Aus
So making a home brew intercooler with little understanding of heat transfer rates and the math that goes into them is a bit of a punt.
On the other side of the coin if it works it will have been very rewarding to do it myself and save a fortune.
Proof for me will be in the pudding:D

And I thought gent a nice deal with mine .. :grinpimp:

I have emailed the R&D department at Laminova with a link to the thread for their comment, they may or may not care to comment but you can always ask the experts.

Hi Mattias,

I was wondering if you would care to comment on my use of your Laminova intercooler cores. You may even find it of interest. Any suggestion of how well this will or will not work will be more than welcome.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=175439&highlight=laminova
Thankyou for taking the time if you do so.

Regards Matt McInnes

Last edited:
fawk yeah! Do you just run the engine coolant lines or do you need another reservoir? How does that work?

so basically you have a seperate cooling system from the charge air cooler? With a small radiator in front of the main radiator? I am intrested to see the temp drop, pre and post intercooler. How did you cut your metal so good? Post some pics of the tools you used.

good work!

so basically you have a seperate cooling system from the charge air cooler? With a small radiator in front of the main radiator? I am intrested to see the temp drop, pre and post intercooler. How did you cut your metal so good? Post some pics of the tools you used.

good work!

Used a lath and a milling machine to make the parts, but it could be done with more basic tools and ingenuity. Eg hole saw

Small radiator and thermo fan will be used as I want this to work at low speeds and an electric pump. May even be mounted in the rear out of the way of the mud.

80L/min!

That's a whole lot of water. I guess that rules out the subaru pump. Maybe the Davies one?

Yep I was looking at the 110 model should give plenty for my needs.

How about the little bosch water pump?

Really interesting thread, great looking work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom