3B starter died (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I replaced the contacts and plunger not too long ago and now it's dead. I can get it to turn over every once in a while. The 3b starter doesn't seem to crossover to anything locally in the states.

Reman didn't pull up in the Toyota system.

New looks to be ~500 US.

Any suggestions other than 4 wheel auto which looks to have remans or finding a local old skool shop to rebuild it?

Thanks!

Try www.toyotapartsales.com for a new one.

pn#: 28100-56191

it's around 400 from them.

Before you order post what year and model your truck is as they have different pn for diff years. The one above is from 11/84 to 85/10.

that's definatly the new superseed part # I need. Sorry for not posting it earlier.

Still 4 bones for a starter is hard to swallow. I'm sure I could take it to a rebuilder and get more power from the motor for less than half at least.

I have a like new starter and magnetic switch assembly off a 1hd-t, 150.00.

Not sure if it would work.

wes-

by far the cheapest solution is the -84 reman Toyota 2LT starter. 12v, does the job.

swap nose cone to the reman unit and replace to return the core. $150 or so.

24v folks (like me) have to work with other sources.

sorry, don't have number handy, look up a 1985 mini truck diesel starter.

Thanks Rick
I ended up getting a 2L and swapping the nose cone as you suggested. The US didn't have any so it came on the fast boat from Japan. Man is it a pita to remove/install a 3b starter in a 70. I had to pull the motor on the starter install the rest of the unit onto the bellhousing then put the starter motor on.

btw the 28100-54090-84 which is a 2.5 kw gear reduction.

WOW this new starter cranks this 3b over fast now. I should have bought one a while ago.

weintl,

I have replaced both batteries, all the cable collars, new ground cable and new rebuilt starter. Cranks at about 6 times a second. Must faster then it did before the rebuild. BTW my engine at times does take 10 seconds when cold to start. Even though the start/charing system is in top shape it takes a long time at times to start when cold. When warm it takes 1/2 second to start the truck. So if anyone reads this what else could be the issue? it has brand new glow plugs.

Could be a number of issues; you need to provide more info.

When cold, once it starts, how does it run? Rough? Smokey? Smooth?

Bad glow plugs, weak injector nozzles, incorrect inj timing, valve clearances...

weintl,

I have replaced both batteries, all the cable collars, new ground cable and new rebuilt starter. Cranks at about 6 times a second. Must faster then it did before the rebuild. BTW my engine at times does take 10 seconds when cold to start. Even though the start/charing system is in top shape it takes a long time at times to start when cold. When warm it takes 1/2 second to start the truck. So if anyone reads this what else could be the issue? it has brand new glow plugs.

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have the part numbers for the brushes and plunger for my 24 Volt B Starter?

Thanks a bunch, it's starting to go on me :(

wes-

by far the cheapest solution is the -84 reman Toyota 2LT starter. 12v, does the job.

swap nose cone to the reman unit and replace to return the core. $150 or so.

24v folks (like me) have to work with other sources.

sorry, don't have number handy, look up a 1985 mini truck diesel starter.

Do you mean only the 2lt starters from before 1984 ? or what do you mean with -84 reman 2lt starter 12v ? (sorry for me not knowing **** about the thing its my fault !!!!)

Last edited:
.....what do you mean with -84 .......

"84" is a "source of application code" that Toyota adds to the end of a part number to show it is a "remanufactured item" rather than being "totally new".

(But Toyota's high work standards mean the item still equates to being "brand new" in my books.)

They don't use many "source of application codes" and the only other one I know of is "71" which means "forklift only".

:beer:

PS...And you use the nose cone off your old starter (outlined by red-dashes here) but use all the rest from the new starter.:

Starter03.jpg

Beware: Some Hilux/4runner/minitruck starters have lower kilowatt/horsepower and for a 12v application you need the big 2.5kw version (whereas for a 24V application you want the 4.5kW version). Searching threads should give you part numbers because I vaguely remember posting them somewhere before.

PPS. The above starter and part number is from my 1979 B-engine which has the same starter as a late BJ42 3B engine does ( .. provided it's a 12V BJ42 of course).

Starter03.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom