Mojave Road Feb. 12-14 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boydmick

RIP My Friend
SILVER Star
Threads
A friend and I are running the Mojave Road next week and have room for a few more. . .

I know it's last minute and on funny days but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Anyone interested? We'll be back in time for Valentine's dinner:rolleyes:

Interested Boyd. Let me see if I can get the time off. Work calendar is pretty quiet both days!

Leaving Wednesday PM or 0 dark hundred Thursday morning? Running E to W or W to E?

Boyd-

Here is a Mojave Preserve KMZ file for Google Earth. It's a huge file but you can scale it back for your needs. http://www.tagito.com/fj/mojave.kmz

This is a basic Mojave Trail GPX file.
http://home.comcast.net/~j.agent/Mojave Road.gpx

Have a great time and take lots of pics.

Awesome beauty out there!
DSC_0271.jpg

Last edited:
Scott,

Don't know much about gpx files...yet. Is this one usable on my Garmin? I haven't had time to learn how to create a file using the Garmin Mapsource United States TOPO CD's I've got.

How do you take the gpx and load it up? I click on your link and I can see lots of stuff including the fact that it's Garmin, waypoints galore, etc.

How do I save this file to upload to my Streetpilot. It's got about 750MB of available capacity!

TIA!

Scott,

Don't know much about gpx files...yet. Is this one usable on my Garmin? I haven't had time to learn how to create a file using the Garmin Mapsource United States TOPO CD's I've got.

How do you take the gpx and load it up? I click on your link and I can see lots of stuff including the fact that it's Garmin, waypoints galore, etc.

How do I save this file to upload to my Streetpilot. It's got about 750MB of available capacity!

TIA!

Brent: Since I don't own your particular unit, this just a guestimate on how this procedure should work. Save the GPX file to your desktop or some place you find convenient. When looking for the file on your PC be sure your drop down box is set to "all files" or .gpx so it will allow you to see it. Open your street pilot software on your PC and upload the file you saved or connect your street pilot via it's USB port and upload directly to the unit. Anyone who owns the Street Pilot please feel free to chime in with advice. :) Good luck!

Worth a shot. When I started to save it last night I had two choices for file type - all files or XML. I'll give the all files a try and see if I can open the file in my Garmin Mapsource software. If I can, downloading it to the unit will be a breeze.

Thx!

Interested Boyd. Let me see if I can get the time off. Work calendar is pretty quiet both days!

Leaving Wednesday PM or 0 dark hundred Thursday morning? Running E to W or W to E?

We're hoping to drive out to Laughlin Wed PM and start Thurs AM East to West.

1st night maybe Carruther's; 2nd night 17mile or there about.

I hope you can take the time off!

Boyd-

Here is a Mojave Preserve KMZ file for Google Earth. It's a huge file but you can scale it back for your needs. http://www.tagito.com/fj/mojave.kmz

This is a basic Mojave Trail GPX file.
http://home.comcast.net/~j.agent/Mojave Road.gpx

Have a great time and take lots of pics.

Awesome beauty out there!

Thanks Scott! I found that same file yesterday and have been playing with it.
I have an old Garmin GPS III and had to break the file up into 5 tracks to keep decent resolution, but it worked!

One of these days I'll have to get a new GPS:rolleyes:

I am down for this run. My son Jeff may join us, school sch. permitting. I will be heading out wed. pm. What time and where are we going to meet. Caravan out there?

Time off approved!!!!

I'm in. Just name a time Wednesday evening to leave!!!

I'll try to get Scott's file into Mapsource so I can download it too!

I am down for this run. My son Jeff may join us, school sch. permitting. I will be heading out wed. pm. What time and where are we going to meet. Caravan out there?

AWESOME Stan!!!!!

Bastards!!

Can this file be loaded onto an iphone? ideas?

Stan are you referring to the GPX file? I understand the iphone uses proprietary software for it's navigation system. However Tom Tom makes an app for the iphone but again I do not not know anything about the file format used. There are several programs available for converting the files, you have to do a bit of research though.

Or did you want to upload my pretty picture of the Mojave? :cool:

street pilot

I had to update my mapsource software, then target saved scott's file into the corordinates fil. seleted all files and it loaded into the mapsource on the computer, Then selected transfer to device, the computer found my 2720 and downloaded the data:bounce:.
And all was right with the world. My street pilot had not been finding satalites, as it turns out some how it thought i was in the central US:eek: not Pacific US.

Worth a shot. When I started to save it last night I had two choices for file type - all files or XML. I'll give the all files a try and see if I can open the file in my Garmin Mapsource software. If I can, downloading it to the unit will be a breeze.

Thx!

I had to update my mapsource software, then target saved scott's file into the corordinates fil. seleted all files and it loaded into the mapsource on the computer, Then selected transfer to device, the computer found my 2720 and downloaded the data:bounce:.
And all was right with the world. My street pilot had not been finding satalites, as it turns out some how it thought i was in the central US:eek: not Pacific US.

OK - I'll give it a try. May call if I run into problems!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom