corner marker light, drop in dual filiment sockets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Poked around the junk yard yesterday, found some 1157 sockets that do not require modification of the parking light,

These came from late 80’s 4th generation Celica I hear they can be found in some other Toyota vehicles also

The filament placement is the same as stock so the reflector will still work and the plugs are the same,

The turn signal lead on the 80 series harness is not populated so for now it just makes for a brighter parking light, 8 vs 5 watts, I will need to put in a lead into the harness to make them blink (27w blink same as the stock 1156 turn signals) , still looking for a sub harness to plug into the turn signals to make that work without modifying stock parts.

I also picked up some extra sockets (same as above) that will convert the turn signals from 1156 to 1157, I am not sure if I want parking lights in the turn signals but I have the parts if I do.

pictures of the stock 80 series 168 wedge socket and Celica 1157 socket
11571.jpg
11572.jpg
11573.jpg

Last edited:
Cool!

I used a Tundra socket but I had to change the lamp-side connector. I spliced into the turn signal lamp and ran the wire to the empty cavity of the body-side connector and used a repair splice tha fit the cavity.

Good score Raven!

Which lamp did the socket come from? I can look it up and see if new are available and how much they cost if others are interested in doing this and do not want to go junk-yard hopping.

D-

Last edited:
ahh, I thought the T-100 (or tundra?) were drop in also (plug also) and that is what I was referencing above by "other Toyota vehicles", but there was nothing that new in this junkyard so I had never seen them in person.

These are the front corner marker/turn signal on a Celica, see pic, I think I pulled them from a 86 and an 89 IIRC, there were no fith gen Celica’s out there so I do not know if they have them also.

Getting them directly from you would be nice as long as they are not overly expensive, I only paid a buck each but got a sunburn (should have worn a hat) and near a sun stroke digging for these (should have brought more water). Most of the ones out there had busted lenses, or the whole light was missing, after the lens busts water gets in and the socket starts corroding so it took a wile to find decent ones.

As a side note there were also drop in 1156 sockets from a similar year Corolla and Tercell with the same plug with only 2 wires like the 80, that would give you straight drop in* 27w parking lights but no blinker, no idea if the housings would hold up to a constant 27W heat source

* Actually you might have to move one pin in the socket, so maybe not completely drop in.

oops forgot the pic, white arrow
celica.jpg

johnny4ever said:
Why do you want a dual filament bulb for a single duty lamp?

John D

so that someone can see you are turning from the side, stock front 80 series blinkers cannot be seen from the side of the vehicle.

there have been past threads talking about near colisions coming from this.

Keep us posted - I'm all about plug and play with stock parts if it can be done without having to splice.

SunTzuMD said:
Keep us posted - I'm all about plug and play with stock parts if it can be done without having to splice.

agreed, stock Toyota waterproof connectors are quite reliable and easy to disconnect for other mainenance, something that is dificult to reproduce with common wiring products.

I have several ideas on how to go about it the right way (never use scotch locks), but have a question for everybody,

Should I convert the stock turn signals into dual filament 1157's also? I often use my parking lights alone in rain and dawn/dusk, having 32 watts up front (4 x 8w parking filaments) as opposed to just 16w sounds appealing, either is better the dim 10w I had stock for those particular conditions,

On the other hand when the parking lights are on the front turn signals will have less contrast, each lamp going from 35w to 8w instead or 27w to off, could this lower contrast blink make it less noticeable?

Daytime when the parking lights are off, the turn signals will be exactly the same (27w to off blink) but with the added bonus of the stock markers doing the same

Raventai - Great post, and I'm going to try and follow your example. I tried the same idea with mine, but was having dificulty finding a socket that would fit as well as something that would connect with the OEM weatherproof connectors with the markers. I was planning on punching out the rubber stopper in the connector, and using a pin/socket set to insert a pin that would fit with the existing connector and run that line to the turn signal lead. I was also planning on modding the turn signals as well. I personally don't think that there would be too little contrast, but I can always change them back out with the original sockets if I need to. I've still been practicing my soldering and getting parts, and trying to find sockets that fit, but the celica sockets sound exactly like what should be used. With the turn signals though, the connector isn't the same as the one for the parking light, and does not have a place for a third pin, so I was planning to solder in a different connector.

Where are you planning on tying in the positive line to the turn signal? Near the harness, or straight down from the marker light to the turn signal?

C-Dan - If you can get the part number for the sockets and connectors, I'd be interested in ordering those from you.

Playboater said:
Where are you planning on tying in the positive line to the turn signal? Near the harness, or straight down from the marker light to the turn signal?

I still have not looked to see if the turn signals can be tapped somewhere else than at the turn signal, perhaps there is a dead pin at a connector somewhere, will have to look (not holding my breath)

failing that here is what I was thinking, for 2 filament marker only, get a male and female plug that fit the turn signal to make a short jumper harness, the ground would pass straight through. solder a lead onto the positive grease and shrink wrap, connect the other end to the marker light harness on the vehicle side using a stock pin and grommet, neither the lamp side harness nor the vehicle side harness would be touched, reversible is good,

Parts count,
2 Celica sockets w/ harness
4 Double pin connectors of the same style as turn signals
10 wired pins (salvage or repair splices form Dan)
2 Sections of wire

I need to take out one of my turn signals and see if there is a number on the plug, I think Dan can sometimes find connectors and repair leads with this number, if there is not a number on it I may be able to match it up to one of the drawings in the harness repair manual

To get marker turn signals get slightly more complicated,

In this the jumper harness plugs into the factory 2 plug to pick up a turn and ground, and into the factory 3 plug to pick up parking and another ground, to each of the socket harness it delivers ground, parking and turn.

parts
4 celica sockets w/harness,
6, 3 pin connectors
2, 2 pin connectors
20 splice repairs or salvaged wired pins
4 sections of wire

The simplest solution would be to dike all the parts I have and just solder it all together but I would loose reversibility should Jonny law take a disliking to it and ease of removal of the lamps

I know I can get wired terminals either at the junk yard or from Dan, 3 pin connectors can be found easily also, getting the 2 pin connectors is the only unknown right now, these two pin conectors are of a more modern style than the 3 pin, I saw something similar on a 90's Previa van but there is not much of that age in the yard, hopefully Dan stocks them.

Last edited:
Would it not be easier to just add the Aus spec side indicater light like some others have done?
Seems like a lot of mucking around and parts searching.

topend yobbo said:
Would it not be easier to just add the Aus spec side indicater light like some others have done?
Seems like a lot of mucking around and parts searching.

how is the Aus side indicator light diffrent?
is the wiring for it present in US models?
are the parts availalbe in the US?

The side indicators fit in the fender behind the tire, between the tire and the leading edge of the front door. The wiring is not present and the lamps must be sourced from overseas.

I have both the side indicators and blinking corners. Of the two the blinking corner mod is much easier and simpler than adding the side turn indicators. Positioning them correctly and cutting the irregular-shaped hole in the fender (that must be exact for the lamp to fit properly and stay in the fender) is a pain in the ass. I have left my original front turns as turn-only.

The way I spliced into the front turns was with the Totoya splice method. This requires the original wire be cut and the insulation be stripped back. The both cut ends along with the new lead are fitted into a splice collar. The collar is compressed and then soldered then it gets shrink tube over the splice.

Here is the hole that must be cut in the US vehicles for the JDM side indicators.

Side_Marker_hole.jpg

Side_Marker_Dan.jpg

-B-

Wow B, it's amazing that after installing that corner blinker, your truck changed colors!! :)

It did go from crappy tu-tone to stunning Emerald Green, didn't it.....:D

Dug through the wiring harness repair manual, found some good stuff, these part numbers may not be up to date or correct, Dan will know better,

Repair terminals with wire pig tail.
Female (truck side) part # 12440 6”, 12590 19”
Male (lamp side) part # 12430 6”

Wire seals
90980–09451 I think these need to be purchased separately, they seal aroudn the wire as it goes into the connector housing

All terminals are of type "2.3 (II)" width being 2.3MM wide.
Originally they were called "090 (II)" being .090” wide, not sure what the (II) means

Solid round Plugs for unused terminals are part # 90980–09152

Connector Housings:

Turn Signal
90980–11247, 2 pin, lamp side, Male
90980–11248, 2 pin, truck side, Female

Marker,
90980-11293 3 pin, lamp side, Male,
90980-11294, 3 pin, truck side, Female.

This is looking less and less plug and play as I go,

pictures of the connectors and instructions for releasing this type of pin
90980-2.3II-.jpg
90980-11247-male-lamp-side-.jpg
90980-11248-female-truck-si.jpg

more pics and instructions for making terminal tool
90980-11293.jpg
90980-11294-.jpg
90980-tool-.jpg

concretejungle said:
Wow B, it's amazing that after installing that corner blinker, your truck changed colors!! :)

And the best part was..... it became SUPERCHARGED!

:D

-B-

RavenTai said:
so that someone can see you are turning from the side, stock front 80 series blinkers cannot be seen from the side of the vehicle.

there have been past threads talking about near colisions coming from this.

Agreed. I took a moment when I was under the hood :)eek: ;p ) on my drive down here to swap turn and corner sockets. Man what a difference with the turn on the corner now! I have an amber bulb in the clear corner and now I have repeatedly noted that whenever I turn the amber lights up building in the direction I'm turning they're so visible! I like this..

Which ever way you decide to make the corner a turn also, it's a smart move, safety-wise.

TY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom