Power steering cooler Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sledge916

Media Partner
Threads
Website
www.adventuredriven.com
Hello All

Just finished my power steering cooler on my 96 fj80, the cooler is off a Tundra, my buddy gave it to me as he worked at a body shop, I think it was a trans cooler, anyway I removed the stock paperclip and got this on there, what cha think?

Sethro

DSC03360.jpg

wow, cool. is it installed vertically? i am planning on adding a small cooler for my powersteering too. my hdj81 was converted from RHD to LHD and the pressure line was significantly shortened. no more paperclip cooler. because in its current orientation, the gerbox is close to the pump. i have to put a cooler, IMHO, to compensate for its shortened pressure lines. but i am planning to put it in series with the return line. i think yours is in series with return line because you are using clamps (low pressure line)? what is the other oil cooler i se on your rig?tranny?nice project.

wow, cool. is it installed vertically? i am planning on adding a small cooler for my powersteering too. my hdj81 was converted from RHD to LHD and the pressure line was significantly shortened. no more paperclip cooler. because in its current orientation, the gerbox is close to the pump. i have to put a cooler, IMHO, to compensate for its shortened pressure lines. but i am planning to put it in series with the return line. i think yours is in series with return line because you are using clamps (low pressure line)? what is the other oil cooler i se on your rig?tranny?nice project.

I installed it flat right under the winch,
yes it is the return line
yes tranny cooler
thanks for sayin

Sethro

What year tundra?

Nice job on this.

One of the first upgrades I would recommend to anyone that is going to do any amount of wheeling. Get rid of the stock cooler in front of the front cross member. Useless for anything beyond DDing an 80.

Did it come with that L shapped bracket or did you make that?

I found it in my scrap pile, I have no idea where it came from

Sethro

Where did you tie into the system?

just remove the paperclip and just tie into those two lines, just copy stock configuration

Sethro

Great mod. Want one. Thanks for posting.

in the spirit of keeping it Toyota i used a trans cooler off a 93 80 for the power steering
had to make a bracket for the right side and drilled the left side bracket to fit existing captured nuts
P1120166_800x600.jpg

I have a second trans cooler ready to go with this in mind. Could you share more info/closer photos of the bits you had to change? :cheers:

in the spirit of keeping it Toyota i used a trans cooler off a 93 80 for the power steering
had to make a bracket for the right side and drilled the left side bracket to fit existing captured nuts
P1120166_800x600.jpg

That's huge cooler for the PS system ..

also running a hydro winch and 35's, it needs it

96r50 i will get some better photos tommorow

Hey Nat, did you ever get the time to snap a few more pics? :cheers:

Hey Nat, did you ever get the time to snap a few more pics? :cheers:

i did, sorry I forgot about this thread. funny you bring it up i was thinking of this thread today when i was plumbing in a 2nd 12K winch onto the rear of this truck :D

if i have time tuesday i will get the pictures up for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom