Caution Idiot Wiring - Need Aux Fan wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pathfinder

I am the STIG
Threads
I need help wiring my Aux fan for my LX. here is how I want it wired.

I want the fan to be run only when the cars on. I also want to be able to switch it off and on as needed.

I've read the other threads about wiring to AC compressor etc..

I've attached the wiring diagram that I am trying to get to work. This is my first attempt at wiring anything more complex than speakers so I need a little help. Can you take a look at my diagram and let me know whats not correct.

I have the wires run into the cab. I've tried several configurations and was able to get the relay to kick on/off with the switch however it did not activate the fan. Its got to be something simple however I've not seeing it. :frown:

Thanks again.

Attachments

• wiring diagram.pdf
    87.3 KB · Views: 842
Here is my install write up that you may have seen...In post #3 I talk about the wiring

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/311276-pro-comp-14-aux-fax-install-97-lx450.html

I'm a noob when it comes to electrical so I relied heavily on Sumotoy's write up and even sent him a couple PM's for help. My setup is different because my relay is different so it may not be much help but if you have not read Sumotoy's thread you might want to give it a quick read

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/103188-abcs-80s-cooling-part-ii-aux-fan-wiring.html

Wiring diagram looks fine, I would over rate the relay/cables to keep voltage drop to a minimum and keep the fuse as near to the battery as possible. I assume your ciggy lighter is only powered when ignition is on right?

regards

Dave

Wiring diagram looks fine, I would over rate the relay/cables to keep voltage drop to a minimum and keep the fuse as near to the battery as possible. I assume your ciggy lighter is only powered when ignition is on right?

regards

Dave

Fuse is right by the batt. connection. I used 10 gauge cable for the batt and fan wiring so should be plenty.

The cig is only on when the car is on.

I'm going to have to go through this again this weekend and see whats what.

So I've looked at your description and Sumotoy's and it looks like I need to switch 86 to (-) and 85 (+)

as follows

Standard 4 Pin Relay
85 = trigger 12v+ power (low amp)
86 = Trigger 12v- ground (low amp)
30 = Feed 12v+ Battery power
87 = To Fan 12v+

And also move my cab switch to the 86 lead.

I've re-done the wiring diagram (looks ghetto....) Let me know whether this is looking right.

Here is my install write up that you may have seen...In post #3 I talk about the wiring

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/311276-pro-comp-14-aux-fax-install-97-lx450.html

I'm a noob when it comes to electrical so I relied heavily on Sumotoy's write up and even sent him a couple PM's for help. My setup is different because my relay is different so it may not be much help but if you have not read Sumotoy's thread you might want to give it a quick read

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/103188-abcs-80s-cooling-part-ii-aux-fan-wiring.html

Attachments

• wiring 2 Sheet1.pdf
    167.2 KB · Views: 395
Can you please explain how terminal 86 is powered?

86 was powered by the cig (+) lead. However after reading the following posts it looks like its supposed to be negative.

Couple of questions:

1) Why run positive from the cig lighter to the relay and to the switch? All you are doing is breaking the circuit with the switch. The switch shouldn't need positive ran to it (unless it's for a light or something, but that's separate from this).

2) Why run the negative from the switch back to the cig lighter? Just run it to ground. There's a handy ground point under the console.

Couple of questions:

1) Why run positive from the cig lighter to the relay and to the switch? All you are doing is breaking the circuit with the switch. The switch shouldn't need positive ran to it (unless it's for a light or something, but that's separate from this).

2) Why run the negative from the switch back to the cig lighter? Just run it to ground. There's a handy ground point under the console.

so do I just "T" the battery feed to the 2nd positive feed on the relay. 30 & 85 both fed by the battery and have the ground circuit running to the switch? I thought the low voltage was also needed for the activiate feed.

The switch does have a small LED light when its on. nothing more.

wiring makes my head hurt....:bang:

If you feed battery power directly to both terminals on the relay, you will have an always on fan.

Note that the way that you have this setup, you have a 100% user controlled fan. It will not kick on automatically, you'll have to flip the switch. The only advantage to wiring it this way is that you can't run it with the truck turned off. Personally, I very much prefer the after run that wiring it Sumo's way gives.

I think you are making this a lot more complex than it needs to be. Here is how I'd do it (and wiring makes my head hurt too ;) ):
wiring diagram.JPG

If you feed battery power directly to both terminals on the relay, you will have an always on fan.

Note that the way that you have this setup, you have a 100% user controlled fan. It will not kick on automatically, you'll have to flip the switch. The only advantage to wiring it this way is that you can't run it with the truck turned off. Personally, I very much prefer the after run that wiring it Sumo's way gives.

I think you are making this a lot more complex than it needs to be. Here is how I'd do it (and wiring makes my head hurt too ;) ):

So this did the trick! I dove back in last night and stuff was hooked up like a 3 year old was wiring before hand. i have no-one to blame but myself. I just systemically got the relay wired correctly and then did the switch.

Put in 30A fuse, turned the key to AC and flipped switch and wala! Works great.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I'll post some pics of the installed fan & switch location tonight.:cheers:

Glad to hear it!

I always try and make wiring more difficult than it needs to be. Usually when I'm done I think to myself "It can't be that simple." It always is. :cheers:

I highly recommend running off the mid pressure switch and with a possible override switch in the cab to turn it off. I think the override switch is not needed all you have to do is turn off the AC and the fan goes off. You will learn to really like the after run feature which never runs for more than a couple of min.

couple of pics of the install in progress
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg

Looks good. That thing moves alot of air, huh? Glad you finally got it wired up!

it does very well. i got it to drop in with no trimming or cutting. The only thing I had to do was to slightly bend the horn mounts.

I'm very happy with the final product. :D Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom