Windshield installation instructions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My front windshield leaks in the bottom corners. It's not the original glass and I have no idea what brand of glass it is. I got a new gasket from Cdan already and just made an appointment with a glass shop. I've read through coutless windshield threads here on MUD and I want to clarify what I need to tell the glass guy. I don't have an FSM. From what I read, he needs to put glue on the metal side of the gasket and the glass side, where most shops only put it on one side. Anyone with any other instructions for the glass guy.

He has already guaranteed me it will not leak when he's done.

My windshield now doesn't have any chips and he's only resetting the existing windshield.

That's the gist of it. Glue the glass to the gasket and gasket to the body. I actually have the installation instructions from the 97 FSM and could fax them to you or the shop.

That's the gist of it. Glue the glass to the gasket and gasket to the body. I actually have the installation instructions from the 97 FSM and could fax them to you or the shop.

I appreciate the offer, but I don't have a fax. If you have a scanner and could email it, that would work. jlg32281@yahoo.com

I'm not that worried about it since he's doing with a guarantee. I will tell him to glue both sides. Do the instructions give any special way of glueing it or is it the common way all glass is glued?

No scanner. Does the shop have a fax? The two areas to glue are where the weatherstrip contacts the glass and under the outer flap of the weatherstrip. There's an inner lip on the weather strip that fits over the windshield flange on the body that does not get any adhesive.

If this is what you're looking for I can try and take pics of the other pages...no scanner here either.
DSCF2334.jpg

They don't have a fax. Pictures of the FSM are great if you don't mind.

Here:
PIC_027.jpg
PIC_031.jpg

and here:
PIC_028.jpg
PIC_029.jpg
PIC_030.jpg

Coax and Firetruck41, thanks a million.

Moderators, please make this a sticky!

So if I have a cracked windshield should I just bust out the windshield and save the rubber or is it a one time-dispose of when you need a new glass?

Usually replaced, since there should be glue residue all over it. It's about $35-40, IIRC.

My front windshield leaks in the bottom corners. It's not the original glass and I have no idea what brand of glass it is. I got a new gasket from Cdan already and just made an appointment with a glass shop.
My windshield now doesn't have any chips and he's only resetting the existing windshield.

Curious, why don't you just run the urethane glue around the outside and inside (rubber to metal and rubber to glass) of the seal, instead of having it reseated? Save that new gasket for when the windshield needs replacing.

So if I have a cracked windshield should I just bust out the windshield and save the rubber or is it a one time-dispose of when you need a new glass?

On page 72 of the FSM posted above, it says the gasket is not reusable.

Curious, why don't you just run the urethane glue around the outside and inside (rubber to metal and rubber to glass) of the seal, instead of having it reseated? Save that new gasket for when the windshield needs replacing.

I don't have any glue, and I'm not real sure what needs to be done. I want it done right and a new gasket is only $30 or so. I have no idea how long the one that's on it now has been in.

I know this thread is dead, but I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everybody on this board for being so helpful. I upgraded audio last weekend and had them remove the cell phone (either OEM or PO installed). The shop broke the windshield while taking off the antenna from the glass. They were really cool about it, and had it replaced, but I got a car wash mid week and it was leaking. Set up an appointment for today to have it fixed (on their dime, of course). I tried to explain that everything about the 80 is very specific, and the installers should follow FSM directions. They said they would look into it, and asked if I had an FSM. Nope, but I emailed them a link to this thread and he was actually very appreciative to have it. I'll pick it up in a few hours. Thanks 'MUD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom