Rain leak into cabin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
94 FZJ80.

When it "rains" ( e.g., 2 inches per hour) passenger side of cabin has water, right edge where carpet is pinned under threshold trim.

Have sealed the trim & holes at cargo window.

Have poured 'some' water in sun roof trough; saw it readily drain from 4 locations under rig - carpet didn't get damp.

Would like to get to location where drain lines join trough...how ? FSM not very detailed....pull door trim & unpeel headliner from door frame ?

back to the 'leak' , where else to look ?

TIA

Pete

Where, exactly, does the carpet get wet? Front door, rear door, cargo area?

Sorry I'm no help but maybe you should change you name to soggy80!

I did have this problem once and it was the A/C evaperator vent line had loosened up somehow and was dumping water down the firewall into the pax side floorboard. Something to think about.

Justin

Search my friend, there is tons of threads on the common areas of leaks. Window seals, sunroof drainage lines, ac ^, door seal.....

Aftermarket windshield = waterleaks

Thanks to all . . .

The water is in the floor trough, right under the carpet, right side of rig...right next to inside of door; right under wire harness ,1st 3/4 ti 1 inch of carpet is very wet (squishy) from inside firewall all the way back to rear wheel well.

Can take door threshilds off (plastic trim 'popped' nto door frame; lift cartpet & see losts (1/4 inch deep) water under wire harness.

Windshiled has same etched 'security numbers' (vin #) as all other windows.

"Sanity Check" water, when poured in sun roof troug, should drain in 4 locations: from under both "A" Pillars and both rear most quarters (behind rear tires) . ..right ?

I don't use A/C much . . .I checked before downpour - carpet dry...after gully washer...very wet !

"Soggy60" ? My first LC , bought new' FJ60; went thru some really deep water...and got stuck...filled inside to drivers seat....few years later, developed the infamous Drivers Wet Carpet After Rain Syndrome . . .maybe I should change to soggy68 ? or soggy6080 :)

Anyway : other part of Q not answered...how to access where the big black rubber tubes link to sun roof trough . . .

as a side note : I think the FJ60 FSMs are better than the FJ80's . . .( detail wise)

Drain tubes come off the 4 corners of the sunroof pan. Rear ones go down the pillar to the rear of the rear doors- you can reach in from behind panel on d/s past the tool-kit and jack area and grab it...its maybe 3/4" OD- or just pop the trim panels off. Front ones I think go down front pillars next to windshield. Do you think it is partly clogged and backing up over sunroof pan? Sounds like somthing else if you say you see them draining at 4 spots when loading the sunroof with water. maybe a/c intake/cowl/firewall???

If you are leaking down the "a pillar", with the headliner becoming soaked around the upper part of the pillar and water pooling on the floor you might check this: There are two plastic dust cover plates (front left and right) that protect the cables that operate the sunroof. They are held in place by a single screw. These become warped, broken, fractured due to heat buildup. When warped, as mine were, they shunt water to the outside of the drainpan, across the headliner and into the "a pillar". Later 80's might have gone with a metal cover to prevent this. Mine is a '92.

OK cardreader,

How do I get to where this 'stuff' ?

Remove the decor wrap (?) atound hole in headliner for sun roof?

The U shaped trim that's around door openings, remove it, and peel headliner fro door frams ?

I didn't gond much in FSM on how to get to the stuff...

Thanks

Soggy
This was the first problem that I addressed when I landed my 80 last winter. It gets pretty wet here in So. Oregon at that time and I noticed "soggy" carpets after hard rains. I researched this forum and went through the all of the suggested problem areas (drains, windshield etc.). Nothing seemed to solve it.
About three weeks ago I tried it again by soaking the skylight area with water from a garden hose and the water began to seep into the "a pillar". I then opened the skylight and immediately found the problem. It was a very easy fix for me and I hope for others too.
So, open the skylight and climb up in there from the interior. Facing the front of the vehicle, you will notice that on the left and right front of the skylight mechanism and above the drain pan (right there on the top) there are what the dealer called "cable dust covers" held in place by a single phillips screw. These innocuous little things were the root of my problem... no more leaking.
Remove one of the little buggers (probably the one on the right, since you're leaking on that side) and lay it down on a flat surface. If it does not lay flat but shows some upward warp or is cracked or damaged in any way, replace it. Only $10.00 a piece from the dealer (no doubt, cheaper from CDan). Let me know what you find and if it solves your leak, I'll do a little write up with some pics.

This has to be the windshield, it happens to mine, and I have plans on replacing the windshield, just bought a new rubber seal from CDAN.

Yo Cardreader !

Thanks a bunch....I'll do look see of cable dust cover !

My fingers crossed - hoping this is it...

One of the tests I'll do (borrow neighbor kid) is to hose winshield (hard spray and avoid hitting roof / sunroof) and look for leaks
Didn't see any 'obvious' leak after yesterdays 1 inch in 20 minute pounder rain . . . but the puddle was back...

Leak from dust cover

Soggy
Just pulled my right dust cover off. You have to negotiate around the air-bug shield that pops up when you open the skylight but should be easy to locate the phillips screw and dust cover underneath the right side of the shield. It's, of course, the same for the left side.
This first pic shows the new and old (broken) dust cover and the orientation. The second pic shows more clearly the warp that occurs with heat and time and how water, hitting the cover becomes diverted into the headliner and consequently toward the "a pillar". Photo-18.jpg

Fubar-Diversion.jpg
Photo-18.jpg
Fubar-Diversion.jpg

Great pics & assist write up, maybe this weekend I'll dig into it . . .besides daily rain, I & spouse are raising 6 yr olf g'son and I've a FJ60 that needs attention too . . .

Pete

Cardreader, :beer::beer::beer: to ya

Finally got a look at mine....

Port side kinda warped, not as bad as you pic

Starborad side; warped, twisted, cracked...worse than your pic.

Thak you, thank you . . .

Hopefully, this will reduce, if not eliminate' the rain dribble to pooling and the yuuch smell too :bounce:

Soggy, did this part do anything for you? After the worst draught on record we are finally getting rain, lots of it and the cruiser carpet is a victim :(

Anyone have a part number for these pieces? Both the left and the right.

Thanks....I have a 97', as the numbers are probably different

Pretty sure this is it, just got done ordering with my local guy:
cover, sliding roof guide rail 63255-60010 rh, 63256-60010 lh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom