Can a OEM 80 Series Rear Window Defroster Switch, be used to for AUX lights???????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can a OEM 80 Series Rear Window Defroster Switch, be used for AUX lights????????

I have Lightforce Blitz 240's lights wired to run when on high beam and am wondering if I can use an 80 series OEM Rear Window Defroster Switch to turn on/off my AUX lights.

I would like to have the amber/orange light illuminated when they are on.

Is this switch capable of running full time or will it time out like when used in conjunction with a typical rear window defroster?

If so, where could I acquire a pigtail for it?

Last edited:
From my understanding, yes. In fact, it is the same switch as the japanese fog switch (I ordered one from mot, same pigtail. It has the fog picture instead of the defrost, which are very similar aswell FYI). You just have to take your dmm and find out what wire does what. I plan to wire some fogs up too

Buy one used with a pigtail off mud. Where I got mine a few months back. Now if I just had lights to wire it to....

Totally can which is why I've been collecting them :D

attachment.php

I thought that the defrost turned itself off after some time, but maybe I've got it confused another vehicle or two that I have driven.

But if it does work, then it would be better/cheaper than having to source something from here. ;)

No auto-off on the LC defroster circuit.

Hey Mot, i think you are right and the defrost is auto off, however i think it is only on the hdj81.
My trucks defrost turns off after a period of time...
look into it before you hook it up that way.
just a thought.
Cheers,
Steve

My defroster is auto-off, just confirmed it. 97 LX US vehicle. But I do not think its through the switch, I'm pretty sure its through a relay that gives it the auto-off feature.

Does anyone have a wiring pin out of the rear defroster switch? Think I may finally get to use it. And now it looks spiffy thanks to NLXTACY's switch relabel how to;)

NLXTACY - If you've been collecting them (Rear Heater Switch, Rear Defroster Switch or both), does that mean you have one or two that you'd like to sell?

Well right now I have them all devoted to a particular project but every time I make my way to the junk yard I always grab all I can find. I'll let you know if I get anymore. BTW, I always seem them in classifieds as well.

Thank you!

Im guessing

Yellow= illumination
Green= power
Black = switched power

Is this correct?

Er no for the SWITCH its:

Yellow = illumination (power)
Lt Blue w/orange stripe = Relay (power)
White w/ black stripe = ground

Dont forget about using a relay, you dont want the switch handling direct fused power without a relay.

What wire does what???

I need help figuring out what wires do what. My colors don't seem to match.

I have the following:
Solid green
Green/Yellow
Green/White
White/Black
Red/Blue

Also what kind of relay do I need? Any help would be appreciated.

The green with white stripe (G-W) and solid green (G) wires are for the backlighting that comes on with your taillights. They aren't shown in the diagram above. If you attach them to the same colour wires of another switch in the truck the backlighting will work properly. The three wires seen above are for the defrost circuit. They way Toyota has it set up is that the relay and the "ON" bulb both have their own power supply, and closing the switch supplies ground to both (why they did it this way I'm not sure). If you are using the switch to control a relay you could run it the same way Toyota does, or you could run power in through the yellow wire (Y) and attach the white with black stripe wire (W-B) to one of the coil pins on your relay as a positive trigger (ground the other coil pin). It depends how your lights are set up.

Thanks. That sorts out what wire goes where for my fog lights & OBA switch.

I was thinking of using the defrost switch for my negative trigger aux fan switch too.

I guess I'd just have to wire the neg AC pressure switch to the defrost switch and then to the relay, in series. That way, if I leave the switch in the ON position and when ever the Auto on feature (per Sumotoy's write up)occurs, it will ground the switch and the light will come on. If I need the fan OFF,for water crossings, etc... I can just press the switch to the OFF position.

Or I could just piggy back it to the ground terminal leading to the relay and I'd be able to turn the fan ON/OFF at will but the switch light will not illuminate in the Auto on mode. Only when I select the switch ON.

Correct?

Is there any way to re-wire the defrost switch to have both?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom