New tires, bumper, and lots of other new mods. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been doing a lot of work on my rig to get it the way I like it and this is it so far. Below are the pics.

The first picture is how I bought it last summer, and the rest of the pics are how it is now. Let me know what you think!

Tires:
It had 37s on bling 17s that didn't rub on the street but obviously did not allow articulation so I went with BFG ATs which I like for the on and off road capability and the stock wheels look the best too. I also took the rear packers off the rear springs to even the stance. I also painted the center caps to give a unique look. I plan to add some Toyota "T" emblems soon.

Castor:
The J springs were installed with the bushings (PO) so that needed correcting. I installed Slee CC plates and sprayed some pro rustoleum for a little protection. I also installed some homemade front swaybar drop blocks to keep the driveshaft from hitting the swaybar, I think it makes the handling better to by realigning the proper angles. I have the stock driveshaft and I didnt get vibes at first but now a few months later I'm started to get vibes when turning and on bumps so I'll be getting a DC DS soon. The brake lines were disconnected from the frame for extention so I bolted them back to frame and installed all 7 Slee lines. I really like the way they are braided and plastic coated.

Rear Bumper:
I wanted something tough and dual swingouts and not drop a fortune so I went with Iron Pig. They make a great product for the best price and it is close to me so I picked it up and they installed it right away. I also wanted a way to lock up my stuff so I installed and eyelet on the spare holder and found a plate that fit right in the hub area that I cut a slit in, put rubber on the back for tightness, and the lock goes on the eyelet. I put a vinyl wrapped chain on the can carrier and used small D rings to secure it. I tightened the D rings down, cut off the tab, and put a weld on it for good measure. I used angle iron welded around the hi lift mount and welded hinges to that for the lock. I also trimmed the mud flaps to fit the bumper. I have a set of same key locks somewhere but can't seem to find them now. The Toyota plate mount is from an old 4Runner. I painted it but it was cold so it didnt set right but when I repaint it right I'm going to paint the letters pearl white to match the body.

Skid Plate:
Again I wanted a quality product and the most protection possible. Currently IPOR has the most coverage and a fair price. I installed this by myself by bench pressing it into place and holding it up with my feet while I threaded in some bolts.

Extra stuff:
I also did the temp gauge mod, auto up mod, Landtanks MAF and door panel mounted maglite, breather extentions for diffs, tranny, and transfer case. I extended the rear sway bars too welding on a steel sleeve to the factory piece, welding on a threaded sleeve and putting on a new bolt. This also seems to helped handling like the front did. I also took off some decals and added some. I will paint the fenders black soon too to finally get rid of that tacky gold! I also used Meguiars Scratch X on everything including tail lights and corner lenses, the rear TLC plaque and they all looked brand new. I also plan to add Slee 4" heavies soon as the J's are too soft with all that weight, and it should give me about an inch.

Thanks to the people on this forum I've been able imitate and invent new solutions to fit my needs.

Following are more pics of the projects...
31057040007_large.jpg
rear1.JPG
CCplates.JPG

Last edited:
Hi lift jack and lock. Trimmed mud flaps.
rear3.JPG
jacklock.JPG
jacklock2.JPG

Last edited:
spare tire lock plate and IPOR skidplate
rear2.JPG
sparelockplate.JPG
skidplate.JPG

Jerry can lock chain. The other end is loose to lock to the D ring on the other side. The plate holder I got for Christmas on the 4Runner mount, and a side shot.
jerrycanchain.JPG
rear4.JPG
side.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good!

Looks nice...I like the bumper.

- Mark

Very nice rig. Great white 80:D. Congrats on all the mods:clap:.

WOW! Awesome set up!

whats your license plate mean? B4TL?? Im sure its obvious.

Thanks for all the compliments!

whats your license plate mean? B4TL?? Im sure its obvious.

It's the Battle Wagon (BATL WGN was already taken so I had to go with a 4:hillbilly:)

Rear Bumper:
I wanted something tough and dual swingouts and not drop a fortune so I went with Iron Pig. They make a great product for the best price and it is close to me so I picked it up and they installed it right away. I also wanted a way to lock up my stuff so I installed and eyelet on the spare holder and found a plate that fit right in the hub area that I cut a slit in, put rubber on the back for tightness, and the lock goes on the eyelet. I put a vinyl wrapped chain on the can carrier and used small D rings to secure it. I tightened the D rings down, cut off the tab, and put a weld on it for good measure. I used angle iron welded around the hi lift mount and welded hinges to that for the lock. I also trimmed the mud flaps to fit the bumper. ...

mike, can you post some close up shots of what the trimmed mud flaps look like?

Reason for asking is that I e-mailed Cam @ IPOR regarding mud flaps front and rear, and he replied with, "The sliders are too long for the front flares, and the rear bumper wings are too long for the rear flares but we can modify the rear to work with the flares."

It looks like you were able to keep your mud flaps with a bit of trimming.

Thanks for posting about your rig!

-KK

Awsome looking truck! What ever happened to those bling 17's?? Sitting in your garage with a for sale sign on them perhaps?? PM me

paint looks sweet.. what do you clean/wax it with?

mike, can you post some close up shots of what the trimmed mud flaps look like?

Reason for asking is that I e-mailed Cam @ IPOR regarding mud flaps front and rear, and he replied with, "The sliders are too long for the front flares, and the rear bumper wings are too long for the rear flares but we can modify the rear to work with the flares."

It looks like you were able to keep your mud flaps with a bit of trimming.

Thanks for posting about your rig!

-KK

Check out the pics below...In red is about where I trimmed. Just a triangle to fit the bumper. I just looked at it, trimmed a little, test fit, trim, test, and so on as to not trim too much. The lower right area was just to make it look better for a "better flow" of the lines. The mounting is about the same as factory too except I used a fender washer on the lowest bolt.

paint looks sweet.. what do you clean/wax it with?

Thanks! I use all Meguirs Gold class products and microfiber cloths. This particular time I used Scratch X, clay bar, and only one coat of wax, using a 10" random orbital buffer. I also used Scratch X on the marker and tail light lenses, it makes them look new. I really like the Meguirs interior care products too. (No I'm not affiliated with the company!)

Looks like a new paint job........sure is shiney.

Thanks! The paint is a year or two old, it's actually Mitsubishi pearl white.:steer:
mudflap.jpg
mudflap2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom