new 3'' cat-back exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jfz80

Cruisin’
Threads
So after mangling the exhaust last weekend on an "easy when dry" obstacle i decided to follow the mantra of a local club member;
"its not breakage, but an upgrade opportunity" :D

All in all im thrilled w/ the work and how the layout came out. I am not so thrilled w/ the tone of the muffler but may be replacing it or adding an inline resonator/glasspack. Any one have thoughts on whether another muffler would restrict any performance gains due to backpressure??? It took hours for the tech to get it up and over the frame rail, after A LOT of convincing, and unfortunately i walk away for 20 min and he welds up a flowmaster. Anyhow not exactly what i was after but well see how best to deal w/ that later. He took me right in w/ no apt and it was hot as nutz so i was trying to avoid any PITA fees by asking him to cut it out and replace it.

parts: 3'' high flow single Catco cat. converter
3" over the frame rail (no crimping)
3'' Flowmaster 50 and 3'' pipe to the exit

thoughts: definately more pick up off the line
definately consider something other than a flowmaster
( i love the idle and WOT notes, just gen accel is loud)

Can u do audio recording and post somehow

I like it, Maybe a little louder than perfect, but I could definitely live with it. I rode in the truck earlier today and could tell a difference in performance. I would have never imagined they could tuck 3" away that neat and clean.

trying for video now................... here are some pics for the time being

side profile
3inchexhaust007.jpg

single catco cat
3inchexhaust008.jpg

goin over
3inchexhaust010.jpg

coming back down the inside of frame rail
3inchexhaust015.jpg

the muffler twisted to be above frame rail (offset inlet, ctr outlet)
3inchexhaust011.jpg

and the nice clean exit, inside frame rail, almost unsmasheable :D
3inchexhaust006.jpg

"almost unsmashable"..... um, yea, we can fix that!

I think it sounds good. Stop trying to be a hippie and be a real redneck like the rest of us!

I need to secure my aft O2 sesor wire to the t/case somehow to keep the wires of the exhaust pipe, but my only other concerns are the longevity of the rubber style holders he used. Concrete has burned through several of those style already, so well just have to wait and see.

Just a ? for you guys out there. Is it true a shop is not allowed to return a cat.converter to a customer?
I asked and was told they werent allowed to. Obviously id recycle for some dollars but i imagine they were going to do the same thing. guess i should have had it "stolen" last night.

and here is the vid. its raining out and the cam is under the truck so a lil extra resonance came trough; its not quite that ricey but almost. I love the idle and WOT notes, 22-2500 rpm has a roar though when in gear, not present while revvin in neutral.

Last edited:
Sounds sweet. I am off to do mine this week.

Peepers was at my house last year and the tone of the system was terrible. He then went back and had a resonator put on. 1000% better, just do that and leave the muffler alone. Try contacting him (Pete) as he might know what they used.

Yeah I'd read that in one of you post before on exhaust...........i wanted to see his opinion on the muffler and hes like well worry about it when we get there (he was concerned/doubtful of 3'' going over and taking time to do it right) and i got back from running across the street for a drink and hed welded it up already. I knew the magnaflow was gonna be loud from peepers/dankunz/romers experience, but hell it is NC ya know:hillbilly: ill sport it for a week and go back for the resonator. I made sure hes got 15'' of straight run from rear axle to frame rail to get a 12 or 9 inch in.

oh yeah and i got about 48'' total pipe after the muffler so plenty of room to trupet w/out resonator

What did it cost you?

I just posted this in another thread, but I've got a glasspack on my rig, and it sounds great. I'll try and get audio in the next couple of days.

yes its a full 3'' pipe over the frame rail w/ no body lift..... its tight and i guess time will tell if its going to contact. Reading through several other posts of folks w/ 3'' over the frame, no one has mentioned this being a problem, but ill update when i get a chance to get back on the trail. I did have him put a hanger right where it goes over for this reason.

lil town prices are great...... 50 dollars in gas to get me out of town, 400 for the cat back. I could have saved 50 bux going w/ no name muffler.

im just gonna blame romer if it rattles...................... :D

edit: sorry dusty, just reread.... yes its full 3'' over crossmember too, hopefully it will be fine.

in my 3" exhaust build getting the pipe over the frame is not a great problem-there is a good 1/2-3/4" of free space all around the pipe as it goes over the frame. the trick is getting the 3" over the rear crossmember. there is like no extra room if you go over that rear crossmember. when the truck frame flexes the exhaust has to have someplace to move. it there is not a flex pipe up front there needs to be plenty of room for pipe movement. If you secure the pipe semi rigid at the rear crossmember to avoid banging then the movement will be seen where the exhaust crosses over the frame by the cat. I havn't been able to test mine yet but even though I brought my 3" below the rear crossmember I am worried about banging. good luck

I didn't see that you mentioned this - but what did the guy use for the O2 sensor bung?

he kept the front sensor in tact. J purchased a bung with the bolts and nuts from ........ i think LCengineering (correct me if i'm wrong) for one heck of a price for the rear sensor.

yup i got the two bungs w/ hardware from LCEngineering shipped to me for about 20 bux, but i only ended up needing the rear bung as we left the front sensor in place under his garuntee that it wouldnt matter having one in 2.5 and one in 3'' pipe. 100 miles and no CEL.

I have 1/2 inch above the pipe and 3/4 inch below the pipe at the rear crossmember. one hanger as it goes over frame, factory mount behind muffler and one at the end at exit (all are semi-rigid w/ metal<rubber>metal). Well see once we get on the trail.

Last edited:
doesnt sound bad at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom