New Cargo Drawers, my first MOD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.dustinryan.com
So after owning Landruisers for 5 years I finally pulled the trigger on my first upgrade besides tires.
After weeks of reading up on different mods I figured the first would be one I could do myself. I decided on the cargo drawer setup that many owners have either built or purchased for big bucks. It took me about a week of prep to get my plans and materials ready and 3 days of hard labor to finish it off, which was just a few minutes ago and about $300.

After looking at the different designs I decided to make two drawers of 30 inches deep and a 3rd storage area of 43 inches wide in the front of the box. I can fit all my longer items hidden way such as guns or heavy jacks.

Here are my plans http://www.dustinryan.com/fzj80/dimensions.pdf

The box dimensions are 44x42x10 made of 1/2 inch plywood mostly the birch laminate which is stronger then the regular 4ply. I decided on the 1/2 inch as weight was a concern and 3/4 inch would weigh about 40lbs more and the 1/2 inch 6ply is strong enough to support hundreds of pounds.

It is important when using 1/2 inch ply that you pre drill all of your holes before you screw it together, that way the wood does not split. It takes a little extra time but is worth it.

I started out with this shell, it is made of regular plywood.
Shell.JPG

Layout of the drawers and removable dividers, note the 10 x 43 compartment at the front of the box. The slides are 24 inch 100lb from Lowes, I stood in each drawer while in the box and it held me fine, 160lbs
drawers.JPG

Here you can see how I installed the hinges before I carpeted it. I did all the work outside the car and would slide it back in to make sure it fit correctly.
nocarpet.JPG

Fit in the car, I created 2 piece wings on each side that fold up to slide the box in. The rear wings fold up independently and can support over 50lbs when closed. Also added tiedown anchors from lowes, sprayed them with black rubberized spraypaint. Marine carpet with rubber back used on all surfaces. Aluminum edging front and rear. Piano Hinges on all movable parts.
Fit.JPG

Nickel plated spring loaded latches keep the drawers from moving. Sprayd laquer on wood surfaces. The drawers pull out easily with the current setup but I may add pulls later. All screws were the outdoor not rusting varity.
latches.JPG

The 10 inch height is perfect match for the second row seats. I removed the oem carpert in the back and used the 3rd row seat bolt holes with new longer bolts to attach the box to the floor.
lay%20flat.JPG

The wing on the right side allows 5 gallons of water or a Nato Jerrycan of fuel to be held neatly, or just about anything else.
Wing.JPG

With the wing closed I put 50lbs on the outside edge and it holds fine.
weights.JPG

Now, sleeping in the cruiser will be a easy, just need screens on the back windows.
mattress.JPG

This drawer can hold a 5 man tent, sleeping bag, queen airmattress and a electric blower.
Gear.JPG

The hidden 43x10 inch compartment can hold a variety of things, as you can see lots of guns is just one option.
guns.JPG

:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Very nice!
How much do you think the whole thing weighs?

not as much as my girlfriend ;) ... It probably weighs around 80-100 lbs but thats just a guess, I took out the 3rd row seats, hardware and seatbelts which weigh about the same I think. I would weigh it but I dont own a scale.

Last edited:
Nice drawers and nice AR...:cheers:

very nice job. I'm thinking of building mine out of aluminum. How was working with the wood?
Also, how much $ were the slides?
How does it mount to the floor?

Great setup, so nice and clean! Makes me want to build mine ASAP!

nice system, looks well thought out. I made some screens for my windows, both the middle, and back sliding and they worked great camping this summer.

very nice job. I'm thinking of building mine out of aluminum. How was working with the wood?
Also, how much $ were the slides?
How does it mount to the floor?
Great setup, so nice and clean! Makes me want to build mine ASAP!

Working with wood is easy, you do need a good table saw, cordless drill and a jigsaw and lots of time to figure it all out. I have about 30 hours into that thing in construction alone. I have never built anything like that before either so I had to buy all the tools as well.

The slides are 15.99 a pair at lowes for the 24 inch 100lb.

It is mounted to the floor via holes in the bottom aligned with the holes for the 3rd row seat tiedowns in the middle of the floor. You could roll the car upside down and it wont go anywhere.

nice system, looks well thought out. I made some screens for my windows, both the middle, and back sliding and they worked great camping this summer.

have any pictures of those screens or a link?

very nice execution. are you comfortable with 100lb capacity on the slides? Minus the weight of the drawer itself how much weight can you pack in there before destruction?

very nice execution. are you comfortable with 100lb capacity on the slides? Minus the weight of the drawer itself how much weight can you pack in there before destruction?

well, not sure exactly how much weight will destroy it but I did stand in each drawer while the top was off and it was fine. I couldnt do that while it was extended but when it is in the truck it is only a quarter inch or so above the tailgate when extended so I guess if I overload it it will rest and slide on the tailgate before it explodes. I built the forward 10x43 inch compartment for really heavy things, I can store anything super heavy there with no problems.

If the slides ever break I can replace them cheap, $15 bucks a pair. or if I continue to haul heavy stuff I can buy the heavy slides.

Very nice job. Did you take good notes and measurements for us? I'd be happy to CAD in the dimensions and .pdf or .dwg them to you for sharing. (36" plotters are sweet.)

A feature I added to mine in another SUV was to double up the top platform with a hinge along the rear (hatch) edge. It could be flipped out to extend the sleeping platform through the rear opening. That way, the junk on top just had to be pushed up onto the seats/middle floor.

sseaman: I'd like to see those screens, too... very cool idea.

dgranth- I used screening from lowes like you would use for a screen door, it works well, it can be a little tough to bend if you need it to. to hold it in place i got magnetic strips, and to store them they fit inside the back window frame. I think i may redo them with no-see-um netting, it isnt quite as think. I guess i could do a write-up

well, not sure exactly how much weight will destroy it but I did stand in each drawer while the top was off and it was fine. I couldnt do that while it was extended but when it is in the truck it is only a quarter inch or so above the tailgate when extended so I guess if I overload it it will rest and slide on the tailgate before it explodes. I built the forward 10x43 inch compartment for really heavy things, I can store anything super heavy there with no problems.

If the slides ever break I can replace them cheap, $15 bucks a pair. or if I continue to haul heavy stuff I can buy the heavy slides.

didn't mean to diss your design. me likey. :cool:
but I would be worried about the weight limitations. but if you are mindful of that while loading them you should be fine :D

Has anyone thought of a latch system that could make it possible to remove the system easily if you needed to haul something?

I can get 200lds slides for about $20 a pair. When I did my drawer system I opted for 36" glides to run the entire length (instead of having the gun storage compartment.) they hold 500lbs and cost $120 a pair.

Good work Charleston, way to go with the storage behind the wheel well, that where Im putting my compressor.

Very nice job. Did you take good notes and measurements for us? I'd be happy to CAD in the dimensions and .pdf or .dwg them to you for sharing. (36" plotters are sweet.)

A feature I added to mine in another SUV was to double up the top platform with a hinge along the rear (hatch) edge. It could be flipped out to extend the sleeping platform through the rear opening. That way, the junk on top just had to be pushed up onto the seats/middle floor.

sseaman: I'd like to see those screens, too... very cool idea.

Here are my drawings
http://www.dustinryan.com/fzj80/dimensions.pdf

Very nice! That setup looks similar to mine and I think it has to be the best mod I've done to my truck besides springs and tires. Nice work. ;)

Thanks everybody for all your compliments, I really could not have done it without all your help and this forum. I was lost in this world until I found ih8mud.com! :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom