Is this the plug for trailer lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
My search results returned a few threads that discussed a plug for trailer lights located at the rear PS side near the crossmember. The one I located had two green and one red wire and branched off of the wire bundle running parallel to the rear crossmember/bumper. Is this pic what I'm after?
:cheers:

That particular plug is not used in North America. The OEM wiring harness and converter do not connect to that point. I am using that point to power my aux back-up light that is mounted to my Slee tire carrier.

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=17133;start=msg166034#msg166034 date=1085800762]
Well :flipoff2: to you too! :D
[/quote]
:D

Dan - what do I need (OEM) to hook up?

[quote author=bjowett link=board=2;threadid=17133;start=msg166034#msg166034 date=1085800762]
Well :flipoff2: to you too! :D
[/quote]

Now that you mention it, he did use "that finger" to indicate the connector. :flipoff2:

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=17133;start=msg166040#msg166040 date=1085800975]
:D

Dan - what do I need (OEM) to hook up?
[/quote]

Quite franky, the OEM trailer converter/harness is VERY STUPID MONEY :eek: I an embarrassed to even say it :-X. You will be better served by a Hoppy kit.

>> am using that point to power my aux back-up light <<

Is tapping into the correct wires on that plug all that needs to be done for the aux BU light?

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=17133;start=msg166068#msg166068 date=1085803665]

>> am using that point to power my aux back-up light <<

Is tapping into the correct wires on that plug all that needs to be done for the aux BU light?

-B-
[/quote]

Yup,

And you know where to find me. ;)

The OEM harness resides behind the right wall of the cargo area. Very expensive. Mine failed so I put this DrawTite unit in, plug-n-play. Connections as shown. Ignore the blue scotchlock splice, it's a temporary fix I put in a couple years ago. I don't remember which website I found it on, but I found it on several. I also bought the 4 to seven pin adaptor to run trailer brakes. The black hose above is for the air bags.

Jason, Dan, Scott, et.al.

This topic has come up before, and the answer to Jason's question is not quite so simple, I do not believe. Apparently, not all Cruisers are quite the same... OR, there is more than one location to interrupt the circuit.

In my 97 40th, the trailer socket is in the place where Jason is looking, not where Scott has found his. It is a 3-wire, "T4" connector: Red with a black stripe (back-up light), green with no stripe (tail light), and green with a white stripe (stop light). The aftermarket trailer harness I use (DrawTite #18357) uses this one, and it works fine.

It is also a convenient place to tap off for an aux back-up light, aux license plate light, etc.

Cheers, R -

[quote author=ParadiseCruiser link=board=2;threadid=17133;start=msg166178#msg166178 date=1085843558]
In my 97 40th, the trailer socket is in the place where Jason is looking, not where Scott has found his. It is a 3-wire, "T4" connector: Red with a black stripe (back-up light), green with no stripe (tail light), and green with a white stripe (stop light). The aftermarket trailer harness I use (DrawTite #18357) uses this one, and it works fine.
[/quote]

Ron, thanks for the info. A couple of questions....
What's a T4 connector?
Does what you're describing above look like the pic I've posted?

:cheers:
Jason

per my 97 FSM, the trailer socket system appears to be 3 separate connectors with different purposes (stop, turn...) all located at the same spot on the harness (very rear, a bit towards the RHS)
E

Eric-
What section of the FSM was that in? Couldn't find any info in my 94 FSM. When you say 3 different connectors, does it appear to be 3 plugs or one plug with 3 slots? The one in the pic I posted is in the location you're describing and has 3 slots.
J

J -

The Toyota schematics all use alpha-numeric designators for the electrical plugs/sockets to help differentiate them from one another. The trailer socket is a black, 3-wire connector. If you post a pix of the connector end-on - so I can see how the terminals are oriented, then I can probably identify it for you.

I believe Eric refers to the 2-wire - so-called T5/T6 plug & socket - where the directional signals are wired thru to the rear lamps. The Electrical Wiring Diagram also refers to these as the "Trailer Socket," because they are also used by the Hoppe, DrawTite (& other) trailer harness systems.

R -

--------> "If you post a pix of the connector end-on - so I can see how the terminals are oriented, then I can probably identify it for you."

Here it is,

J -

Yep, that looks like the T4 connector to me.

Both the Hoppe & DrawTite (which I recall being much cheaper than $40...) have one plug that goes into that socket, and another - so-called T-connector - that sits in between the T5 & T6 plug and socket to pick up the signal for the directional signals.

Whichever harness you end up with, it's a very easy plug-n-play. The T5/T6 are hooked together right in the same location where you found that open T4.

If you plan to do any significant electrical work, you might want to get a copy of the EWD (Electrical Wiring Diagram) for your truck. Ask C-Dan about it.

Good luck ! R -

Thanks for the info! :beer: :beer: :beer:
May do a lame FAQ once I get this figured out.

sorry, MoJ, I meant the EWD, not the FSM. The sockets are shown towards the beginning in the diagrams showing the locations of connectors on the body of the truck.
Haven't looked at mine real life, but IIRC the EWD shows 3 separate sockets. I even vaguely remember that the T5 and T6 were for the separate sides. No indication that I recall that they would be connected together. But possible I guess.
Will have a look at what mine look like (and I think I have the OEM trailer harness) when I have a chance.
E

add: MoJ, had a look at the Hoppy site. Looks like the kit you showed has a converter too. That necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom