led head lights........ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

well the first set did not turn out so well, i sent them back and hoping they replace them. it seems toyota switches the ground, and i am not sure how any other manufactures do it, but the LED's have one ground and two hots, so i have something figured out in my head using relays but i was fishing to see if any one else had used them yet.

hmmmmm....

saw the spec sheet....i little concerned about the 50 degree C max operating temp? seems like running the high beams for a while might heat up the lens to above 120F....could be wrong but my hella lights definitely get hot enough to melt my plastic rock shields...ask me how i know...

wats the cost if you dont mind?

well the LED's do run a bit cooler than halogen or HID's.

they run about $500 a pair, that is why i am praying they cover them on warranty!

A pair of relays should be able to change them over from ground switched to positive side switched. For both the high beam and low bean light circuits, wire the relay output to the appropriate hot wire, and the relay input to the (+) supply via a fuse. Wire the relay control coil in place of the original headlight element. It likely would be good to use a relay with a snubber diode.

I looked through all the online literature Truck-Lite has and didn't see anything on cautioning about negative switched systems and their headlights.

i looked also, and did not see anything. i also called them and the tech told me to hook it straight to the battery, to make sure it was the light, well whatever the negative switching did when i hooked it up to the battery it smoked it.

when i get them back i will take some pics and try to explain how i wire them, yes bogo i figured that i would have to use 2 relays, i am still looking at how i might get away with one. but might not be able too.

I have a set on my way too .. I saw 'em in a mate TJ and they work flawless and were bolt on .. are the J**p positive activated ( headlights ) or grounded like us .?

I have a set on my way too .. I saw 'em in a mate TJ and they work flawless and were bolt on .. are the J**p positive activated ( headlights ) or grounded like us .?

i think jeeps switch the positive wire not sure though, but i first seen them in an off-road magazine, and they installed them on a jeep they said they were plug and play, so i guess they do. just do yourself a favor and do not instal them till you have the relays.:hillbilly:

i think jeeps switch the positive wire not sure though, but i first seen them in an off-road magazine, and they installed them on a jeep they said they were plug and play, so i guess they do. just do yourself a favor and do not instal them till you have the relays.:hillbilly:

actually you and MUD save me few bucks .. coz I was ready to come with the plug and play idea .. I will be sure to check how it work first ..

there is one ground, and 1 lowbeam hot and 1 highbeam hot, it is clearly marked where the wires enter the housing.

when i plugged mine in and turned the switch on, both came on for a split second then one of the fuses blew, then one head light stayed on, but both beams came on, even when the switch was still on low beam. when i would unhooked the one that blew the fuse the one left working would work low high correctly.

I run one in my 75 pig with no issues:confused: I'm good friends with the local rep and i'll see if he can shed some light on this. And on warranty...ive been dealing with trucklite for almost 20 years and they are great to deal with. Gotta love a company that started with a guy building lights in the garage and testing them in the kitchen sink

i will tell you the housings were heavy duty, and they were built nice, i did not mention to them that toyota switched the ground not the hot though.

nuclearlemon, why do you only run one of there headlights?

i will tell you the housings were heavy duty, and they were built nice, i did not mention to them that toyota switched the ground not the hot though.

nuclearlemon, why do you only run one of there headlights?

it was a warranty freebie from the rep ;). one diode burned out, then the orig. purchaser wanted to see what it would take to destroy the lens (hammer almost hit him back twice before he was able to get a screwdriver to puncture the housing). i siliconed the crack and ran it. one diode out of 10 isn't squat (i'm running the older version)+

photo doesn't do it justice. every time i've tried to get a pic of led lights, they never show how much they light up.
ccticket10 037.jpg
krag5 005.jpg

Last edited:
that is cool, i was just wondering, it might work because you have a regular light on the other side, or hell who knows like i said one by itself worked fine in mine but if i plugged the second one in even with one blown headlight fuse it would go to high beam only, i still have not figured that one out, i do know one was bright as all get out, but the pokey around here do not like people driving around with one headlight.

I got this mail from Truck Lite today ..

" David,

Our LED headlamp is intended to replace any existing 7" round headlamp and comes with an industry standard H4 connector. It should be a direct replacement.

Thanks,

Karen Loizeaux
Technical Support Representative
Truck-Lite Co., Inc.
Phone: (888) 562-5012 (8am-5pm EST)
Fax: (716) 661-1287 "

I got this mail from Truck Lite today ..

" David,

Our LED headlamp is intended to replace any existing 7" round headlamp and comes with an industry standard H4 connector. It should be a direct replacement.

Thanks,

Karen Loizeaux
Technical Support Representative
Truck-Lite Co., Inc.
Phone: (888) 562-5012 (8am-5pm EST)
Fax: (716) 661-1287 "

i would at the very least put a volt meter on your connector before you hook them up, just trying to keep you from having to ship them back to get replacements.

i would at the very least put a volt meter on your connector before you hook them up, just trying to keep you from having to ship them back to get replacements.

I will ! are your working now .?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom