Best FJ62 brake booster currently available. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

desmocruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Best FJ62 brake booster currently available?

Looking for a brake booster for a nephews 88' FJ 62, Oem is no longer available.

What/where is the best reasonably priced brake booster?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
DEwey cant find the second diaphragm for the booster. Mike

IIRC, the one I ordered for my 62 is for a 94-96ish 4Runner from the local parts store. Still have not installed it but all the bolt spacing etc is identical to my fj62 booster.

The 4Rnnr booster is my next brakes mod. Replace an NLA part with a better performing part. Win-win AFAIC. I'd do it in a heart beat instead of the 4rnnr caliper swap (which I've already done and am not impressed with, but thought it worth at least trying).

Any 4 post toy booster should fit. Im using a 91 4runner one. Some have an intergrated check valve and some have an inline valve so if the one you get doesnt have it buy a generic valve and splice it in somewhere.

D

runner booster bolt pattern changed in 95...I'd stick to pre 95 to be safe. some minor fitting will be needed(flip booster for push rod alignment and cut off 5/16 from the pedal push rod for fit, minor adjust the master side push rod...) works like a charmHTH.

You can also get a FZJ80 booster out of a 1996 LC.... that's what I run and it is a plug and play...

I replaced my booster (89 FJ62) with a 1995 4Runner booster. I bought it from Advance Auto (Cardone part no.: 53-2776):

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_remanufactured-power-brake-booster-cardone_18690276-p

I turned it 180 degrees and had to use a longer vacuum hose (I just used generic hose from NAPA). I sprayed it with some semi-gloss black Rustoleum, but other than that no other modifications were necessary. I took some measurements and adjusted the push rod length to the exact same length as the OEM booster. Works great! The feel and performance of the brakes is much improved--not surprising since the 4Runner booster is quite a bit larger.

One other thing, my experience with the online Toyota parts dealers has been that many times parts that show up "available" are in fact not. I've even had it happen at the dealer where I've ordered an "available" part only to be told a week later that it's not available. Don't know if that's the case with the OEM booster. I suspect even if it's available cost will be an issue.

For those of you who've swapped them in, would you consider the 4Runner and 80 series boosters an upgrade to the factory 60/62 booster, or do you think the improvement in feel/performance is just the difference between a good booster and a booster on its way out?

I believe it is an upgrade and for me was well worth the cost. I base that on the fact that my booster was fully functioning when I replaced it (I did all the tests per the FSM and it was definitely OK) so I had a good baseline to compare the performance of the 4Runner booster. I replaced the functioning OEM booster anyway and--at least in my mind--there's no question that the brakes perform better. Again, I assume this is because the larger size of the 4Runner booster. I recall reading some posts by others who had similar experiences with the 4Runner booster.

I drove mine for a while with screwed up oe booster so when the runner one went in it was night and day. Cant really say if it was better than the original though.

I looked at my 80 booster in my old 93 fzj and it looked like it would bolt right in. Cant remember who told me or where I read it but any 4 post toy booster should swap in. The runner one had slightly different dimensions when compared to the 60 booster. It had a smaller overall diameter and was a bit "thicker" (stuck out from the firewall an extra half inch roughly) so we had to pry the master out a little to get it in there.

Like I previously said, make sure to grab a check valve if the new booster doesnt have one, youll have no boost unless the motor is running. The valve keeps a couple pumps worth of pressure in the booster after you shut down your van.

D

Thanks all!

I think an upgrade is in order. If I understand correctly a FZJ80 is a plug and play and 95 and prior 4Runner requires a few easy slight adjustments.

Take some rough measurements of your old booster and bring em with you when you go searching, that way youll know what youre gonna be dealing with. Im 80% sure the 80 has an integrated check valve. Look to see if the nipple that you hook up the vac line to is just a straight up nipple or if it has something attached to the end and recessed into the booster body. If its a reg nipple it had an in line valve and youll have to grab one.

D

Here are some pics of the old 85' FJ60 BB and that of an 96' FZJ80 BB

96' Booster on the left and 85 booster on the right..
Front shot
P1010549.JPG

1985 stamp on booster
P1010550.JPG

1996 stamp on booster
P1010551.JPG

FZJ80 profile shot
P1010552.JPG

FJ60 profile shot
P1010557.JPG

So the 80 series booster has a bigger diameter but it is not as deep as the 60 series....

Hope this helps clarify any questions...

Thanks for the pics, that is ultra helpful.

Did you remount your 60/62 master cylinder to the 80 booster or an upgrade there as well?

yes, I upgraded to a fj80 mc, which is non abs...

Edit: I had already upgrade my MC prior to using the FZJ80 Brake Booster.. I upgraded my MC cause I was running 4 runner calipers.... so when I went with the 80's axles it all panned out.......

you could def use the 60 series MC if you are using stock calipers on the front...

Last edited:
This thread has been a great help. My brake booster failed during a wheeling trip up in Clayton OK, and was shocked to here you could no longer purchase them new. I went ahead and ordered one for the FZJ80, and will be swapping it in. Thanks to all for the great advice, and the helpful hints on measuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom