Torfab's Banks Turbo Diesel 60 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

torfab

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.torfab.com
This rig was the product of wanting a diesel 60 series, and not being able to afford a Toyota diesel engine. In the beginning I saw the 6.2 Gm Diesel as a 2nd rate motor that would get the job done, but at the end I realized that it's the perfect engine for the beast.

It features:

1983 FJ60 frame for emissions reasons
1989 FJ62 body for rust reasons ;)
a leaf was bent to give it a 1" lift
33" BF Goodrich AT's
1983 C code GM 6.2 liter diesel
Banks Turbo kit with 7lbs of boost
NV4500 5 speed transmission with granny low, and .73 overdrive
Rebuilt stock transfer case
custom drive lines
Mercedes SL500 AMG 10 way heated leather seats
Custom exhaust was made to be tucked up above frame rails
Dual batteries in rear
Air Conditioning
and ofcourse 20 mpg's with all that power :grinpimp:

Pics are here: Picasa Web Albums - Tor - 60 series build

I started with a 1983 FJ60, and installed the GM 6.2 liter diesel from a 1983 Suburban. The engine mated to a NV4500 via an AA bellhousing, and then to the stock rebuilt TC via an AA kit. After completing the install, I found hidden problems in the body and decided it wasn't worth fixing. I found a nice FJ62 in spokane, and flew over there to drive it home. I took the body off, and put it on my frame, making it the perfect cruiser.

I took some time to get the small stuff working, but got the rig ready to drive within about 1 month. I spent hours and hours tinkering with the Turbo, AC, and leather seats.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the rig, and it's living in Colorado with it's new owner. I'm in the process of building another diesel cruiser for a different client, but this one will be in an 80 series body with a 6.5TD motor.
Cruisers 001.jpg
60 series build 041.jpg
60 series build 034.jpg

Very cool swap! I'm debating this one and the OM617 MB. I'm not sure if the 6.2 is legal in California though...

(key up music from Toyland)

Torfab..

Torfab..

Mystical merry Torfab..

The Tormister is well know for his mistical powers over FJ's

:grinpimp:

aww man I am drooling!

Yeah, that turned out to be a very nice truck. Nice work indeed !!:beer:

Very cool swap! I'm debating this one and the OM617 MB. I'm not sure if the 6.2 is legal in California though...

According the the California smog website, you can use that engine ONLY if you use a C code block which has EGR and smog equipment installed, and if it's from a later model vehicle.

According the the California smog website, you can use that engine ONLY if you use a C code block which has EGR and smog equipment installed, and if it's from a later model vehicle.

Good to know thanks!

I just bought a marks adapter for my fj60 and have a 95 suburban with the 6.5td. Does the burb have hydroboost system that I need for the 60 and how did you wire your glow plugs? Thanks

Any issues with shifter interference with the console?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom