New Door Speakers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2mbb

SILVER Star
Threads
So I finished up an installation on new door speakers. As background on this, on a trip earlier this year one of my rear quarter panel 6x9 speakers was decapitated when a friend was shoving stuff into the back of my truck. So I decided to move the rear speakers from the quarter panels to the rear doors. At the same time I replaced my front door speakers. I used Polk audio db650 speakers, on sale from Crutchfield, because apparently they are old stock (Polk now offers the db651). The db650's have a mounting depth of 2" (top) and 2 5/16" (bottom)--I'm not sure why the two different dimensions. With the installation described below, the windows do not hit the speakers.

Front doors: In order to switch from a three screw mount (the old speakers) to a four screw mount, I made a mounting ring out of 1/2" plywood. It fit into the original cutout/depression for the front door speaker and I used the OEM screws and plastic nuts to attach the ring to the door. I then used the four screws that came with the speaker to attach the speaker to the ring. It was pretty straight forward.

Rear doors: There is a cut out in the inner door sheet metal. The ash tray sits in the cut out, and I think it's the cut out to remove the window regulator. At the bottom of the cut out are two metal tabs with holes. I made a 1/4 plywood insert that fit into this cut out and held it in place using U nuts on the tabs and counter sunk screws. The plywood insert then had a hole drilled in it for the speaker. I positioned the speaker in the lower front corner, below the window crank. I had to lose the ash tray, though. To get the speaker wires into the doors, I brought the wires up the B pillar and drilled 1/2" holes, one in the B pillar (opposite the door catch) and one in the door. I used 1/2"OD 3/8"ID grommets, then using a short piece of 3/8" ID plastic tubing, I made waterproof (hopefully) wire-way. I threaded the wires inside the plastic tube.

Quarter Panel Trim: To replace the quarter panel trim, I made new pieces from vinyl rubber diamond tread laminated on top of ABS plastic. By making a laminate, I was able to use the OEM fasteners for the panel trim.
x107db650.jpeg
db650 specifications.jpg
Door Speakers front small.jpg

appreciate the wirte up.. So you made some spacers for the front door speaker out of plywood.... I came to the same conclusion...when I could not find any of the plastic spacer that would work for my polks. For now I mounted the speakers in the stock location and drilled 4 holes for mounting. Can only roll the front windows down about 3/4 of the way (speakers sit too deep in the door)... I'll fix later. 5.25 Polks...

I mounted the two 6*9 polks in the rear cargo panels and the amp on the ouside of the rear cargo panel (due to space concerns. I'll post up some pics as soon as I get my radio head unit install finalized.

Do you think your clear hose in the door well is going to crimp when the doors close? I like that idea.. guess it for the rear doors.

damn nice install & write up, thanks.

Do you think your clear hose in the door well is going to crimp when the doors close? I like that idea.. guess it for the rear doors.

The picture above is with the door closed. It doesn't crimp when the door is open either. I drilled the hole in the B pillar on the outward facing side. And the hole into the rear door is on the front edge. So when closed, tubing is bent 90 degrees. When the door opens, the two holes offset, so the tubing forms an "S" shape.

damn where did you get the plastic and rubber diamond plate ? i would like to do somthing similar .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom