Just adjusted the valves, how does she sound? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I just adjusted the valves on my '82 40. They really didn't need too much adjustment. I did find that the PO had just silconed the valve cover after he cracked it, and the felpro gasket I ordered didn't fit! After ordering a new one from SOR and cleaning up the old gasket I adjusted the valves (for the first time) Other than that, I think it sounds better but I wanted to get some 3rd party opinions. Here is a youtube video of it idling. Does it sound normal? Too loud? Thanks!

http://youtu.be/LesnZYqUsTM

Valve Sound

I recently rebuilt my motor and adjusted the valves for the second time after I warmed it up. My 78 2F motor sounds very similar to yours. I adjusted the valves per the specs, 0.009" and 0.012".

Last edited:
What motor?

Your idle sounds pretty fast to me. Your valves sound OK

It's a gasoline 2F. I should adjust the idle speed eh? I just thought it should be quieter after adjusting the valves.

Sounds a bit like a diesel. Could be the microphone distorting. Is your exhaust manifold gasket leaking maybe (I ad to replace mine a couple of weeks ago and had to re-surface the warped manifolds).
Is the engine fully warmed up?
It is idling to high too.

Last edited:
Sound analysis by Y-Tube? Sounds like a precursor to Obamacare.
Patient : Doc, I don't feel to good.
Doctor : Okay, put your telephone mic up against your chest and let me listen to your ticker. Good, now breath deep. Um, not so good.

I know I have an exhaust leak near the flapper rod on the exhaust manifold. Not much to do about that.

The magnitude of the residual vector to which the engine sound cannot be well characterized by the engine sounds included in the video. precludes one to believe it sounds just like mine?

Sounds great..

need a muffled microphone for better analysis...
:popcorn::popcorn:

This answer confuses me.. haha I can always posts more vidoes!

I think we should all make youtube video's of idling 2F engines with comparable video devices.
By comparing a multitude of sounds, we might be able to derive a medium, by which the original sound can be judged. :hmm:

Mine is idled down alittle but sounds the same and I just did timing and valves.

idle should be about 650

I just adjusted the idle speed screw, nothing really happened... carb was rebuilt about a year ago...

Valve Adjustment Specs

I looked into the Haynes and the valve adjustment specs wording is confusing. What is the valve spec adjustments on the 1F and 2F motors?

I looked into the Haynes and the valve adjustment specs wording is confusing. What is the valve spec adjustments on the 1F and 2F motors?

Intake is 0.08 and exhaust is 0.14, on a warm engine

I just adjusted the idle speed screw, nothing really happened... carb was rebuilt about a year ago...

Then you probably didn't adjust the idle speed screw. There are 3 or four screws there. The idle speed screw is the hardest to see and to adjust. It's on the firewall side in the middle of the carb and connects directly to the throttle linkage.

If you adjust the fast idle screw when the choke is not on, nothing really happens. Maybe that's what you did?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom