Fairey overdrive ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
We have the FJ55 with 3B diesel which has the standard 4 speed tranny and a 3 speed transfer case and the OEM PTO winch on it as well. The tranny/transfer is located at the same place as it was with the 2F engine.

My questions are:
is this worth having (or are parts even harder to find than FJ55 parts)? I'm not worried about parts like seals etc. that I can get from a bearing house.

are they compatible with a PTO setup?

will it fit the FJ55 with a four speed tranny and 3 speed transfer case?

As far as I know, the Fairey will NOT work with the PTO setup. They
bolt into the transfer at the same location. I don't believe that the
3 speed and 4 speed Fairey's are the same, so you had better
verify which version you are getting+using.

Pictures the seller has sent me clearly show the overdrive unit mounted to the rear of the transfer case. It appears that the PTO cover area is completely free and clear. The unit in question came from a 4 speed tranny setup.

Is this perhaps another brand of overdrive?

One other question is will the overdrive unit be compatible with a "transfer case saver"?

Sounds to me like a Fairey unit....

Nice novlety....

Good luck!

-Steve

Poser said:
Sounds to me like a Fairey unit....

Nice novlety....

Good luck!

-Steve

Are there any major problems with the fairey O/D's?

Has not been made for what, almost twenty years??

Not aware of anyone providing product support for this toy...

Sure, you can get bearings and seals, but what about the sun gears, and other main components?

NLA-No Longer Available.

It is not something that I would spend any form of real money on, ' expecting ' it to last and work for any significant lenght of time...sure you may get luckey, and have it work forever...

There were two around here, one in a 55, and one in a 40, both people were looking for hard parts for them...and were not functional....

I have one in a 65 Series II Rover 88, not worth the money in my opinion...

Save your money and purchase a Toyota five speed transmission...

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the info. I have a fairy in my 60 and did not know much about the unit.

cruiser_guy said:
One other question is will the overdrive unit be compatible with a "transfer case saver"?

Should not have any problem installing one of these in conjunction with the OD...

Good luck!

-Steve

82-SOA-60 said:
Thanks for the info. I have a fairy in my 60 and did not know much about the unit.

Your OD unit IS NOT the same as the one used with a one-piece t-case...

-Steve

Poser said:
Your OD unit IS NOT the same as the one used with a one-piece t-case...

-Steve

Did a search found some info on my OD. Split case. Thanks Poser. :cheers:

So the three speed and four speed overdrives are different. Does it relate to the transfer or the transmission (ie: is it related to transmission output shaft spline count or transfer case input gear tooth count or both)?

cruiser_guy said:
So the three speed and four speed overdrives are different. Does it relate to the transfer or the transmission (ie: is it related to transmission output shaft spline count or transfer case input gear tooth count or both)?

Transmission output shaft spline count as far as I know...

Don't look like one to me....not the Land Cruiser ones that I have seen....That is not a one piece case...

BJ40-3B,
Negative, that's not like the one I'm looking at.

Steve,
I assume it picks up power from the tranny output shaft. How does it increase the speed? Does the idler in the transfer case get swapped out or??? I'm trying to get my head around how it increases speed to the driveshaft to gain an overdrive.
I'm assuming it's an overdrive for all gears rather than a setup similar to the "Marks" gearset for the split case.

Doesn't look like the one I had on my 78' FJ55 4spd.

Cruiserhaven,
It looks sorta like that. How does that one work internally and does it give an overdrive in each gear (ie: double the number of gears) or what?

cruiser_guy said:
Cruiserhaven,
It looks sorta like that. How does that one work internally and does it give an overdrive in each gear (ie: double the number of gears) or what?

Someone else will have to lecture you on the internal tech - I'm going to avoid airing my ignorance for once :D

I think it would run on all gears (never tried it in 4WD), although I really only used it for highway driving. It worked well on road trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom