BamaBleach's FJ40 buildup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
My story from a "stock looking" FJ40 to a basic Spring Over Axle (SOA) conversion to my current project of installing a 3FE, Marlin Toybox, full cage, and 62 series rear springs.

I bought this '73 FJ40 in January 2007 without much knowledge of Land Cruisers and had never once logged onto IH8MUD. I grew up around Toyota trucks so I knew I couldn't go too wrong. I quickly found this site and started researching what I had and what I needed/wanted. The process continues to this day.

Pics from the PO's for sale ad:
bamableach-albums-my-fj40-picture8010-fj40-01.jpg

bamableach-albums-my-fj40-picture9688-po-05.jpg

Specs:
2F engine with H42 4 speed tranny.
Everything else (mechanically) was basically stock.

Got it on what I thought was a pretty good deal. The PO was moving to China in 2 weeks so he was anxious to move it. We made the transaction and I drove this baby home about 100 miles. My first real experience with drums brakes on all 4 corners and manual steering. :)

*search help: toybox, marlin, 3FE swap, 62 springs

Last edited:
I wanted this thing to be a more capable trail rig so I started researching what my next move would be. I took it to the trails in it's "stock" form a couple of times just to get a feel for it.

I quickly realized that power steering would be one of the first things I added. I also scored a mini-truck axle from a friend so I could gain disc-brakes.

Also decided to go with a spring over to clear bigger tires. My dad has performed a few SOA's in his time so I was excited to learn.

From Jan '07 - Oct '07 it made this transformation:
- mini-truck disc brakes
- 4.88 R&P
- aussie locker in the front and welded in the rear
- Saginaw PS with 4x4lab hysteer kit (4x4Labs.com)
- shackle reversal (SR)
Pics from the shakedown run:
bamableach-albums-my-fj40-picture9689-offroad-043.jpg

bamableach-albums-my-fj40-picture9690-offroad-038.jpg

Last edited:
I drove the Cruiser in this condition for sometime. The only major problem I had was the fault of my own stupid mistake. In my excitement to wheel my rig I failed to fab up an anti-wrap bar and I paid dearly. I snapped my rear pinion on the side of a mountain during a night run. If you're going to go Spring Over Axle, do yourself a favor and fabricate an anti-wrap bar! I got away with it for a few months but it eventually bit me.

Once I recovered from that I wheeled it for about a year without many problems but like anybody with a Cruiser I started developing a list of things I wanted/needed.

- lower gears for crawling
- an alternative to the hardtop (so top heavy)
- get a little lower center of gravity
- get a little longer wheel base

I was also battling an overheating issue that was getting annoying.

Pics from a wheeling trip in Sept 2008 with SMC:
bamableach-albums-my-fj40-picture4554-mountainside-ohv.jpg

bamableach-albums-my-fj40-picture4556-mountainside-ohv.jpg

bamableach-albums-my-fj40-picture4555-mountainside-ohv.jpg

So I discovered that I had a crack in my block and I acquired a major oil leak(separte issues). So earlier this summer I decided it was time to start the next wave of mods. The first thing I did was buy a digital camera of my own so I could start to actually document the build process.

I also located a 1989 FJ62 with no title, a bad tranny, 146k miles, and a good price. So I borrowed my cousin's truck and my dad and I went and pick up the new heart for my 40

Here's a cellphone pic:
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9691-fj62.jpg

I also ordered one of these from Toyota (apologize for another cell phone pic):
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9692-fj62-manual.jpg

So Dad and I got to work on pulling the drivetrain from my 40. Growing up I didn't do much wrench turning at all. Sure, I might hand Dad a wrench now and again if he was working on one of the family cars or fixing one of our 4wheelers but I really didn't show much interest in it.

This is the part of the story where I stop and say that the greatest part about all of this is the quality time I get to spend with my family and friends (especially my Dad, who is both). I still don't know much about working on Cruisers and it still takes me forever to do simple tasks like taking out a drive shaft but I've learned so much since getting into this stuff.

So here's pics from the first motor pull I've every been a part of:

Fixing to drain the rad
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9670-bld-01.jpg

Everything disconnected and out of the way
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9671-bld-02.jpg

The new home of the 3FE
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9672-bld-03.jpg

Yikes! Time to do some cleanup
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9673-bld-04.jpg

About this time I made a purchase here on MUD from LukeZero. He had a Toybox in a Cruiser he had purchased but since he was going to be changing out the LC rear axle to one with a centered rear diff he didn't need the LC t-case or adapter plate that mates to the toybox.

So I took it off his hands (he even cleaned his up for me!)
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9687-bld-018.jpg

So I contacted Marlin Crawler and got what I needed to adapt the H42 to the Toybox :)
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9682-bld-013.jpg

Dad works at a machine shop so he mentioned sandblasting my t-case to try and clean it up some. The H42 needed to be separated from the t-case anways to make room for the Toybox so with a FSM (Factory Service Manual) in hand we went to war.

I've got pictures of most of the steps for removing the t-case but I wanted to focus on what we used as our puller ( $8 harbor freight puller and three home made tabs). Worked like a charm!

bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9675-bld-06.jpg

bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9676-bld-07.jpg

bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9677-bld-08.jpg

bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9678-bld-09.jpg

bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9679-bld-010.jpg

I also decided to clean up the engine bay on the 40:
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9674-bld-05.jpg

Now it was time roll the 40 out and pull the 62 in. Pulling the 3FE was done last weekend and pretty much gets this thread up to date on where I'm at now.

My 2nd motor pull ever :)

bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9683-bld-014.jpg

Had a good crew helping out
Mt DEW in the blue shorts (my Dad)
dwh84 on the creeper
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9684-bld-015.jpg

Not sure what the load rating on that bar stool is :)
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9685-bld-016.jpg

What's left
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture9686-bld-017.jpg

Bama,

Was that Nick and Clint in the picture? Is that Nicks boy on the fender?

Oh yeh great job on the build:cheers:, youll love the fuel injection.

Keep it going bud..... can't wait to wheel together again!

Cruisers & fathers seem to go together;)

Yep! Did you know Nick has another little one now?

How are things in Alaska, Pat?

I heard Nick had another baby, Busy with kids and 12 hour shifts. Alaska has been great, haven't gotten to wheel much, but the weather has been great. Ive been salmon fishing, working on projects and working a lot. Im also working on the spring over on my 40, I will finish all the little things this winter.

Wanna sell the side mirrors off that 62? I could send some cash to help out the Bama 40 project and get some better mirrors on my 60:D

Keep it going bud..... can't wait to wheel together again!

Cruisers & fathers seem to go together;)
Yeah man, we gottta wheel again when I get it done. Hopefully I won't run you over! :D

I heard Nick had another baby, Busy with kids and 12 hour shifts. Alaska has been great, haven't gotten to wheel much, but the weather has been great. Ive been salmon fishing, working on projects and working a lot. Im also working on the spring over on my 40, I will finish all the little things this winter.

Wanna sell the side mirrors off that 62? I could send some cash to help out the Bama 40 project and get some better mirrors on my 60:D
PM sent.

Good thread. Keep it coming. I especially like the bar stools / jack stands. I had the same thing going but with 5 gallon buckets to hold up my tub.

Nick

Gotta do what you gotta do! :)

Wow, kind of embarrassing that I haven't updated this thread in so long.

So after getting the 3FE out of the 62 and ordering some parts it was time to get down to buisness.

I was able to find a torrent file for the pdf version of the H42 repair manual. I needed this because I needed to replace the stock output shaft with one supplied with the marlin crawler H42-to-toybox adapter kit.
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11737-bld-034.jpg

The new Marlin output shaft:
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11742-bld-039.jpg

Replacing the output shaft took some time because we didn't have the best pullers to work with. The manual calls for SST's that we didn't have.

For a good write-up on this process look here:
Marlin Crawler ToyBox Install Instructions

Here's a few pics of us doing it:
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11738-bld-035.jpg

bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11739-bld-038.jpg

Hack job on a bolt head that we used for the puller:
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11740-bld-036.jpg

Had to wedge the end of a file in so the bolt couldn't "ride out":
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11741-bld-037.jpg

Pretty much used the same janky process to get all the bearings out. It was slow but it worked in the end.

With the tranny completely gutted it was time to reverse order with the new shaft.

Here's a pic of the new shaft as we started putting the gears and such on it:
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11743-bld-040.jpg

New shaft in the tranny:
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11744-bld-041.jpg

Here's some puller tabs we had used earlier. This kept the bearing from riding out as we drove the opposite bearing into place:
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11746-bld-043.jpg

The opposite side (using an Al block):
bamableach-albums-build-pics-picture11747-bld-044.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom