So I contacted TRS about a REAL group buy for projectors, lets get it going! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FullyLitLED

Supporting Vendor
Threads
To the retrofitsource: Pls scroll down to see the list:D

This 100 series section had a great group buy a couple of times...so why not try projectors! Bixenon projectors!

So I was about to start a retrofit project for the landcruiser this weekend. Upon ordering up the parts, I asked Matt at theretrofitsource.com if we could setup a group buy like they did on the taco forum! There will be discounts starting with 10 plus buyers but there will be a larger discount if we get 25+ buyers! Here is the email:

Me:
Hey guys, I called this morning regarding a setup for my 100 series landcruiser. I originally got the motivation from the tacoma forum group buy which had a 25% off discount. Is it possible to start a group buy for the 100 series landcruiser forum? I know that there are people that want to do a retrofit in that forum and I thought that a group buy might get us all inspired to order and do retrofits!

I was told that I need Morimoto mini H1 with the 9006 adapter plate and H1 bulbs:
Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini (H1) - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

What do I need to do to possibly get the group buy going in the 100 series forum? Hoping to hear from you guys soon

-LJ

Matt(Theretrofitsource.com) :

Hey LJ,
Thanks for your patience waiting on a response via email - as you know, calling in is always a quicker way to reach us as our email volume is just through the roof here.

Anyways, we can definitely set up a group buy (no matter how big or small) for the people over on the LC forums. I know we've worked with a handful of Landcruiser guys already and most have gone with the Mini's for a well performing, nice fitting setup. Ie:

Picture 18 of 28 from Morimoto Mini D2S Bi-xenon Projectors

-----end of email----
The 80 series pictured is using morimoto mini projector housings!

I am told by Matt that the morimoto mini H1 projector is what we should go with but you can get the d1s as well!The morimoto H1 is recommended because it comes with the 9006 adapter plate! Also, the morimoto mini projectors are compact to fit almost any application!

There are other projectors, shrouds and CCFL rings to be considered as well! Just go to the site(link at the end of this post)
Group buy means we get a list together, I forward it to him via email and he gives out the code to me to forward to you! :D So my only role here is sending the list to Matt and preparing the list!

It does not matter what we get but I think they need us to purchase complete projectors or the complete retrofit kits! There are tons of options so if you need motivation to do this retrofit, pls join the list and we can all help each other get a discount:D This is an awesome deal if we can get 25+ takers! Also, where else can we spread the word here on mud?

Find the products here:
theretrofitsource.com

Option 1: for those with the HID setup and only need projectors and H1 bulbs
btw here is the link to the morimoto mini that was suggested(Projectors only): Starting at $120
Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini (H1) - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

Option 2: for those who need EVERYTHING
Entire kit:(why not get this, since we are getting a huge discount if there are enough takers!): Starting at $270
Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

it comes with mini gatling gun shrouds!

Copy and paste this list in your reply after you add your name!

The Final List!(proposed list)

1. LJ_24: Morimoto mini H1 projectors with 9006 adapters, 90mm CCFL rings, h1 6000k 35w HID bulbs and gatling gun 2.0 shrouds(Matt, I ordered these earlier this week without a discount, no big deal so pls just count it for the group buy so everyone can get their sets) ;)

2. Bamabrock: Morimoto mini H1 projectors with 9006 adapters, h1 4300k 35w HID bulbs and chrome mini gatling gun shrouds
3. petrotk40: Morimoto mini H1 projectors with 9006 adapters, and chrome mini gatling gun shrouds
4. wngrog: Morimoto mini H1 Projectors...pending other details
5. ntsaint: Morimoto mini H1 projectors with chrome mini gatling gun shrouds and 9006 adapter
6. 2000UZJ: Morimoto mini H1 projectors only
7. AnthonyCDS: Morimoto mini H1 projectors with 9006 adapters, h1 4300k 35w HID bulbs and chrome mini gatling gun shrouds
8. Shaggy101: Morimoto mini H1 stage III kit with 55w setup
9. i4c4lo: Morimoto mini H1 Stage III kit
10. 02 Beast: Morimoto mini H1 projectors with chrome mini gatling gun shrouds and 9006 adapter
11. superdosser: awaiting confirmation
12. jonharis: Morimoto mini H1 stage III kit(5000k or 4300k temp)
13. Squirrel: Morimoto mini H1 stage III kit
14. Rwhat: Morimoto H1 stage III kit
15. options2: Morimoto mini H1 Stage III kit
16. LJ_24(again): Morimoto mini H1, 2 pairs CCFL rings, 1 pair Gatling gun 2.0 projector
17. staggrlee: pending details
18. whirlybird9: Morimoto mini stage III full kit.
19. Blue By You: Full kit, or its equivalent in parts, plus extras. Likely FX-Rs.
20.domin8r:
Morimoto mini stage III kit H1 projectors with 9006 adapters, 90mm CCFL rings, h1 6000k 35w HID bulbs and gatling gun 2.0 shrouds
21. stevopike Need full setup....checking on different options then will update
22. Taco Forum User
23. Taco Forum User
24. Taco Forum User
25. Raptor700 Morimoto mini projectors with mini gatling gun shrouds

The people who made the group buy possible! lol completed 6/1/2011(code is open until 6/3/2011)
1. Petrotk40
2. Whirlybird9
3. Domin8r
4. Staggrlee
5. Bamabrock
6. Blue by you
7. Jackknife
8. Squirrel
9. Troutcruiser
10. Jonharis
11. Taco forum user*
12. Lj_24
13. 2000uzj
14. T4r forum user
15. wngrog
16. unknown user
17. unknown user
18. HIDplanet user
19. taco forum user
20. unknown user
21. AnthonyCDS
22. AnthonyCDSx2(do not flame anthonyCDS but his brother ordered before him and he's not even on these forums) :flipoff2::D
23.whirlybird9(another set)
24.stevopike
25.SilvaMan61 (from grand prix forum)

Link to the three taco forum user group buy participants:
Another Theretrofitsource.com group buy! In case you missed out! - Tacoma World Forums

Last edited:
Put me down for: Morimoto mini H1 projectors with 9006 adapters, h1 4300k 35w HID bulbs and chrome mini gatling gun shrouds

I'm interested but as of right now, and probably for the next 6 months, I am decidedly broke. :frown:

If we already have an HID kit, will simply ordering new bulbs work? (ie, I have a DDM 55w setup, can I use my existing ballasts and just order some additional H1 bulbs from DDM to work in the projectors?) Or are the bulbs needed specific to the morimoto projectors?

I guess I'd need to get a better idea of total cost before I can even consider looking into it. I've never done a retro before so this is unfamiliar territory for me.

Additionally, I don't particularly care for a bi-xenon setup. I have a halogen high beam, which I want to keep. All I'd need is a low beam compatible projector to stick in there...I've got some reading to do.

I'm interested but as of right now, and probably for the next 6 months, I am decidedly broke. :frown:

If we already have an HID kit, will simply ordering new bulbs work? (ie, I have a DDM 55w setup, can I use my existing ballasts and just order some additional H1 bulbs from DDM to work in the projectors?) Or are the bulbs needed specific to the morimoto projectors?

I guess I'd need to get a better idea of total cost before I can even consider looking into it. I've never done a retro before so this is unfamiliar territory for me.

Hey fuzz, I told matt that I had a 55w HID kit already, he said he recommends the H1 because it is more common than the D2S. The H1 bulb alone can be bought from DDM but since we will get a discount, I decided to buy it from TRS because I know it will fit. I believe the setup that I am going with is a total of around $145 plus a discount if we get 25 takers!

Last edited:
I'm not in the loop on this at all but would love better headlamps so I may be interested in the group buy.
School me (or provide links for more info) - I have an LX470 - would this kit work for me too?
How involved is the install? What are pros/cons vs. HIR?
What ballpark is the cost in?

I'm not in the loop on this at all but would love better headlamps so I may be interested in the group buy.
School me (or provide links for more info) - I have an LX470 - would this kit work for me too?
How involved is the install? What are pros/cons vs. HIR?
What ballpark is the cost in?

Here is a link to hoser's thread about a retrofit in an LX:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...-xenon-headlights-into-lx470.html#post1113616

Yes the kit will work, the projectors are compact so they will work in the 80, 100 and LX470! The upgrade in lighting reduces glare and allows for a much wider projection of light(thus the name projectors). I personally did not realize the glare in adding an HID kit to the hundy until I added an HID kit to the gx, the gx had better projection, less glare and a straight cut off! Hope this helps and gets you interested;)

LJ_24...I am interested as well but I also want High Beam HIDs. Will this do high beam as well or is that extra?

I live on a 5 mile rural road and high beams are way more important to me than bright low's.

LJ_24...I am interested as well but I also want High Beam HIDs. Will this do high beam as well or is that extra?

I live on a 5 mile rural road and high beams are way more important to me than bright low's.

The projectors come with a hi beam mechanism! You have to splice the projectors pigtail connectors into the hi beam wire on the hundy! At that point, your projectors will be in hi beam while your hi beam lights are also on! Way more Hi beam:cool:

For those that don't want the projectors to work with the hi beam, you just ignore the hi beam wire completely:D

Count me in. I already have the 55w ddm kit so I just need new bulbs and will be at the same $145?

Last edited:
Count me in. Does it come with ballasts and bulbs and everything? I already have the 55w ddm kit.

Petrokt, you can get the setup I am getting! The $120 projectors(comes with shrouds) and add $25 for the h1 bulbs! but you need 35w bulbs! Not sure if there is a difference with 35w and 55w bulbs! I think they are cos on DDM's site, they only ask what temp and type you want

LJ_24 said:
Petrokt, you can get the setup I am getting! The $120 projectors(comes with shrouds) and add $25 for the h1 bulbs! but you need 35w bulbs! Not sure if there is a difference with 35w and 55w bulbs! I think they are cos on DDM's site, they only ask what temp and type you want

Ok awesome. So is the only difference in the 55 and 35 watt kit the bulbs? The 35w will run on my 55 w system?

LJ_24 said:
I will confirm this with DDM and with TRS tomorrow! ;)

Ok, I'm in if I don't I have to buy new ballasts and harness.

I am stock so I need everything unless it gets crazy expensive. What am I looking at?

I have a friend in my club that is totally into HIDs....he said there was no reason to do it without the projectors.

I want them. Let me know the total so I can give you a positive.

I'm In

I have the same setup as PetroTK40...55WHIDs, ballasts, etc. So i'll need what you guys are getting (same setup, around $140).

Just to be clear - what does the installation entail on a LC 100? I saw the link about installation on an LX and cutting into the housing - is that similar to the LC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom