Driveline failure on my `99-care to speculate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my way into work for a nightshift an hour ago. Noticed a shudder on flat ground driving at 40mph just above 1500 rpm. Drove another quarter mile coasting , then pressed accelerator and felt the mild shudder- hmm, coilpack I'm thinking. Another quarter mile, and I'm starting to think tranny/driveline issue and pull into parking lot. No catastrophic failure or massive grinding, but I chose to not push and find out. I sensed that if I went any further I would definitely find out in a bad way. The tranny did not slip, or no racing of rpm when I gave it gas.

After calling wife to rescue me in her 03, I did all I could in the dark to check things out. Trans fluid is fine, though smelled a good whiff of something going on and I'm guessing its a diff/trans case issue and not the tranny. Nothing falling off the truck, so no obvious signs as best I could tell in the dark in my 3 minute diagnosis, had to get to work.

Hopefully the front diff is shot and I can get an ARB! No CEL lights. After stopping and turning off truck, I restarted after a quick check and put in reverse; shudder started on engaging tranny and slight press of accelerator- in neutral there is nothing, so no engine issue.

175k on my '99 and after doing alot of various maintenance the past 6 months, the truck has never run better in my 7 years of ownership. Flushed the tranny a couple months ago, I put in a new radiator, and did all the diff fluids over the summer. The truck has been a rock until tonight. Will get under the truck in daylight tomorrow before towing to shop.

So, best educated guess with this limited info? I'm guessing I could try the front diff bypass procedure, but really don't have time or inclination at this point. Thanks for any direction you guys can provide- It will be towed tomorrow afternoon.

I'd, apart of diagnosis, pull the front drive shaft and with the front wheels off the ground rotate the front tires and listen (you could, just for grins before pulling the front DS, put the t-case in N and then rotate the front wheels and listen/feel for grinding).

You mentioned no "massive" grinding. So by that I assume you can hear some grinding?

Or maybe another t-case gone bad like another recent thread OP?

Thanks Dan, I think I'll give that a try before having it hauled off for peace of mind. Will post back tomorrow afternoon when and if I know more. At least I have that '03 with some snow on the way this weekend!

Did you try locking the center diff?

I didn't try the center diff, and I really didn't hear any grinding. I'm going to focus on the front diff tomorrow, but I wasn't doing anything other than normal driving, so no direct cause for a failure. The suspense is killing me, just glad this was close to home.

Very strange. I sent you a PM.

Do you get the shudder in gear with the brakes on and giving it gas? IOW, loading up the engine and working the torque converter a bit. Not much to go on so far, but how are your U-joints? If it's only in motion, I'm gonna hope for a U-joint. If it's when loaded up and not moving, I'm going to hope for a coil pack.

I'm running through exactly what I experienced, but realize that I only had a few minutes to give the truck a once over and had to leave it for tomorrow as I had to get to the office. I'll try what you've suggested. I did smell what could be gear oil, but not exactly- that stuff is quite pungentand memorable. I'm thinking when I drop the skid plate in the light of day I'll know pretty quickly whats going on, and quite sure its not a coilpack, although I've never experienced that.

Fingers crossed for the front diff! bring on a new locker, it's Christmas! If I was only that lucky. LOL.

Just cruious, what does diff oil gear oil smell like? I noticed a weird smell when i got home today. My truck has been making a "gear whining noise" that I havent be able to figure out yet. It has been suggested in my other tread that I maybe missing some teeth on my front diff or drive plates maybe???

Have you tried pulling codes ?

I think it could be a coilpack or the APPS.

Or a fuel pump.

Just cruious, what does diff oil gear oil smell like?

Hard to describe. It's clearly an oil smell, but more pungent than engine oil, especially when it gets old. The diffs and t-case are vented, but not a lot of fumes get out that you'd normally smell them.

Have you tried pulling codes ?

I was thinking that also, if it's misfiring it should be showing a check engine light. Could even be a failing spark plug or plugged injector.

Is the shudder more in harmony with the engine speed or the drivetrain speed? That's something you'd have to be thinking about while it's happening to really know the answer.

Good news bad news. Coilpack on #8 cylinder. Fellow mudder UZJ100 gave me an assist this morning and we diagnosed it wasn't driveline issue. Drove a mile or so and CEL finally triggered. FYI to anyone else having not experienced this- you don't feel the issue at start up, only under load. The odd smell was the unburned fuel im guessing, not gear oil. Bad news is I don't have valid excuse for a new front diff yet! I'll have to work on breaking it now!

Last edited:
Awesome, nothing too expensive or difficult, back on the road.

Last edited:
Good news bad news. Coilpack on #8 cylinder. Fellow mudder UZJ100 gave me an assist this morning and we diagnosed it wasn't driveline issue. Drove a mile or so and CEL finally triggered. FYI to anyone else having not experienced this- you don't feel the issue at start up, only under load. The odd smell was the unburned fuel im guessing, not gear oil. Bad news is I don't have valid excuse for a new front diff yet! I'll have to work on breaking it now!

Neil, just remember or know the 4.30 r&p sets are somewhat difficult to source...and spendy from Toyota. If you're going to regear anyway not a big deal I suppose...but ultimately better to ARB it before you have an issue with it ;)

Just FYI, for anyone with LC driveline issues:

I had a 98 LC UZJ 100 with a dented driveline. Shook really bad. Got it home from Missouri on the front axle only, then went back to my junk pile. Pulled a driveline from an 87' single cab Hilux pickup, put a new U joint in it and the front spline unit from the L/C, and the cruiser is still driving around with it today. The truck driveshaft was about 1 inch shorter, but pretty much identical in other respects. Gotta love Toyota...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom