Question about attachment to undercarriage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two questions for the experts. What is the attachment under my LC that looks kind of like an old school phone (see picture)? Also, do I need it? I just removed the running boards and don't really like the sight of it from the passenger side. Thanks.
DSC00447.jpg

First post and most will tell you about the search function as this has been covered in great detail numerous times - it is a vibration damper, but several have taken it off with no adverse affects.

For some strange reason, although I do not like its looks either, I left it on as Toyota spent the money to put it there, perhaps it's function is worthwhile. Of course, it could be stopping vibration caused by the running boards????????? Then the last laugh would be on me.

Welcome to MUD -tell us about your Hundy (100)

Remove and replace with sliders. Sliders make good vibration dampers too!

First post and most will tell you about the search function...

While I agree with BMWSTOY that MUD helps those that help themselves, in this case, not knowing what this thing is, what would one use for a search keyword?

I removed my running boards a few weeks ago and didn't notice this, though I do recall mentions of it in other threads. I'll have to crawl back under there and have a looksee.

Hi all, I spend nearly everyday of my working week under 100 series cruisers and have never seen one of these on an Aussie model, not even on a Lexus!

Thanks for the information. I have been using the search function, but could not find any information about it. Now that I know what it is, I'll check into it. I just bought my LC a few months ago and have been loving it. It's a 2000 in good condition that has about 78k miles on it. I'm more into boats than cars, so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a vehicle, but also wanted something that would stand the test of time. I think I've found it. I'll probably put some BFG tires on it, but not much else. My list of needs on my skiff demands my attention first. Plus, I've still got the 90k servicing to deal with. I would love to add sliders and a lift, but I'm not doing any rock climbing here in Florida and just can't justify the cost.

Sorry for my ignorance in not having located this through the search engine. I will be sure to behave in the future.

Perhaps one of these threads should be added to the FAQ for the 100 series.

Curry, don't worry. If we never talked about the same things over and over, we'd have little to talk about. Welcome!

Hi all, I spend nearly everyday of my working week under 100 series cruisers and have never seen one of these on an Aussie model, not even on a Lexus!
Wreford, saw your conversions page. Nice work! You should start your own thread. Make mine an extended cab tray back please :grinpimp:
DSCF2084.jpg

Sorry for my ignorance in not having located this through the search engine. I will be sure to behave in the future.

Perhaps one of these threads should be added to the FAQ for the 100 series.

No need to apologize, I was just answering someone's question about searching.

A thumbnail sized pic in the FAQ thread with a link would do it.

So the question is:

Did Curry check the FAQ?

I think "Thing under the truck" would need it's own category though.

So the question is:

Did Curry check the FAQ?

I think "Thing under the truck" would need it's own category though.

If there was an effective FAQ thread we would still have new folks posting "TUTT" questions but it would be more fair to ridicule them then currently.

Wreford, saw your conversions page. Nice work! You should start your own thread. Make mine an extended cab tray back please :grinpimp:

I second the request for a new thread on these conversions! :eek:

DSCF1506.jpg

What creates the market for these ? Are standard dual cab pickups not available ?

It stoops vibrations!

I just happened to be looking at the Technical Service Bulletins section under FAQ and saw a TSB for it:

EXHAUST BOOMING AT IDLE
Service Bulletin : 00304 - FEB 20, 2004 NHTSA Item #: 10006142
MUD Notes: Some 1998 – 2006 model year LC/LXs may exhibit exhaust booming after reaching operating temperature. To correct this there are various procedures for different vehicles. Installing a "Crossmember Damper Weight" (cast iron/rubber device on frame rail) or exhaust pipe dampers tuned to different frequencies. Credit to 100TD.

Like most on here I removed the cross member dampener after yanking the running boards. Fast forward a couple thousand miles and I was always slightly annoyed about a rumble/vibration in drive at idle at about 500-600 RPM. I reinstalled the unit after putting on sliders (you can't see it anyway now) and it definitely reduced the vibration. Just to add to the conversation. I know I am reviving an old ass thread, but its in the FAQ so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom