Checkout my badass new fab cart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I sold my ARB roofrack so I could buy a MIG welder, and somehow that turned into my spending all weekend building building a cart for it.

I wanted a cart that would hold all of the following:

MIG welder
Stick welder
torch rig
Portaband
Sawzall
Angle grinder
All the associated tanks for MIG and torch

We didn't really have much of a plan, only a rough idea of what I thought it should look like and the dimensions of what needed to go on the cart.

We started with most of a stick of 1.75" HREW and set to work.

Welding%20cart%20001.jpg

Welding%20cart%20002.jpg

Then I traced out where I wanted the tray for the MIG welder to go and cut it out of 1/8" plate. I put a lip at the back to keep the welder from sliding off and to add rigidity to the tray.

Welding%20cart%20007.jpg

Then I forgot to take pictures of the rest of the major fab work. We added a second tray on the lower level and pneumatic wheels to the sides. The ends of the lower tray are supported by 1" tube.

Welding%20cart%20009.jpg

Welding%20cart%20010.jpg

I had a bunch of square and round u-bolts laying around from a previous project and decided to make toolholders for all the power tools.

Welding%20cart%20012.jpg

Welding%20cart%20014.jpg

Welding%20cart%20016.jpg

Detail of the grinder holder

Welding%20cart%20015.jpg

We also put a handle on the front so that it will be easy to grab and roll around, as well as a gun holder for the MIG gun which also doubles as a pen/sharpie/soapstone holder.

Welding%20cart%20013.jpg

Detail shot of the axle mount. We were worried that just welding the axle to the main tube would not be strong enough since there is about 275lbs of stuff sitting on the cart. So we welded the axle to the tube, and then fitted that sectioned piece of square tube around it to add weld area and bracing.

Welding%20cart%20018.jpg

Finally we put all the tanks on and added two hooks for the hoses to wrap around.

Welding%20cart%20020.jpg

And some parting shots

Welding%20cart%20023.jpg

Welding%20cart%20025.jpg

BTW, the floor jack is temporary. I'm going to get some casters for it tomorrow and then strip it all down for paint.

I also want to give a big thanks to my buddy Cody who came up and helped me out all weekend with this. Thanks man! :beer:

Why is the dude in the next to last shot scratching his package?

Does he think he's Patton or something........................lol

Damn nice Ary, looks like you put alot of thought into it. Only question I have is where is the pintle hook? Gonna be damn tough to pull with the 80 without it, and its gonna need bigger tires if you want it to be trail worthy.

Why is the dude in the next to last shot scratching his package?

Does he think he's Patton or something........................lol

Damn nice Ary, looks like you put alot of thought into it. Only question I have is where is the pintle hook? Gonna be damn tough to pull with the 80 without it, and its gonna need bigger tires if you want it to be trail worthy.

LOL, he thinks he funny, he was doing it on purpose :rolleyes: ;p

Thanks for the compliment, I'm pretty fond of it(in case you hadn't noticed from my thread title...lol) :D

nice!! - add fire extinguisher to cart

A picture's worth a thousand words!

I like your leverage multiplier on your bender - just a big iron stick. The stand is cool, too. Where did you find a 1.75" tubing die for the bender?

Thanks,
Andy

A picture's worth a thousand words!

I like your leverage multiplier on your bender - just a big iron stick. The stand is cool, too. Where did you find a 1.75" tubing die for the bender?

Thanks,
Andy

The bender handle is 2x2 .250 square tube.

The die is commonly available from all JD2 distributors. I got my bender from www.trick-tools.com and my die from Sean at http://www.performanceoff-road.com/ He has the best prices I've found anywhere for JD2 stuff.

Ary

Excellent cart there! Now all you need is that compressor to run the air grinder.

Where did you get that nice tubing bender?

Excellent cart there! Now all you need is that compressor to run the air grinder.

My next big tool purchase will be an air compressor. I was actually supposed to buy the air compressor before, but the MIG welder took priority.

See the post just above yours. ;)

I would order it all from Sean if I had to do it over again.

Beautiful job! I would add one thing, seriously, a bar or chain accross the back to keep the gas bottles from falling off and breaking the valves. I didn't see anything on there. Where is the kitchen sink? ;p

Yes, it's not completely finished. I'm waiting on my tube die for 1" tube to arrive, and then I will finish the retention of the bottles. There are actually a few things left to be added, but I couldn't help but share with everyone :D

WRONG...all he needs is to...

...build another one for me :flipoff2: .

Nice job Ary!

I was thinking a little fridge on the back side for the beer :)

nice work, too bad you can't use it on a daily basis :grinpimp:

bk

That is frickin AWESOME!
Nice job bro!

Chicago

Thanks for all the compliments guys. It helps make up for the fact that I spend all weekend building a cart instead of the tire-carrier rear bumper I had planned on :doh:

John, I seem to recall purchasing that jack from a nice gentleman in Vienna. ;)

Ary

very nice. much talent. ended up very square for that many bends

I put a 6 inch piece of 1 1/2 inch tube on front rail and use it as a holster for the mig gun. it gives a quick place to stuff it and protects the wire tip. also put welding pliers in one.

Very nice. Wanna wheel it over and weld some stuff up for me? :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom