1974 FJ40 buildup thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok well I am no where near done with my build but I figured I would get out there what I have.. First are some pictures of my first wheeling trip right after I got it around the year 2000.

Landcruiser (1).jpg
Landcruiser (2).jpg
Landcruiser (3).jpg
Landcruiser (4).jpg

First thing that was added was a lift. Some Corbeau Baja ss seats. And I built a bumper for it. My dad gave me a small winch for it. I went with a 4" BDS lift.
Landcruiser (5).jpg
Landcruiser (6).jpg
Landcruiser (7).jpg
Landcruiser (8).jpg

I posted some pictures on BDS Suspensions website and they asked if they could use pictures of it for their catalog and for a full page ad in ran in Toyota Four Wheel Drive Owner magazine.

Around that time I swapped my drum brake axle for a 1978 disc brake axle. I completely rebuilt the axle, installed longfields and aussie lockers in both front and rear axles. Along with Skyjacker extended braided stainless steel flex brake lines going down to the axles.

BDS-AD.JPG

Last edited:
It was at that point that I realized that the body was rotting away. The previous owners handy work started showing. Bondo everywhere to fill holes and tin pop riveted over rotted away steel. So I started cutting away the bad, and replacing with parts I made. I also replaced the gas tank that was patched with fiber glass with a poly tank. I trimmed 3 inches off the rockers and the fenders for more clearance.
Landcruiser (18).jpg
Landcruiser (19).jpg
Landcruiser (22).jpg
Landcruiser (23).jpg

Last edited:
Then life got crazy busy. Money got tight, and my steering was shot. So it sat for about 3 years. Now I decided to get it going again.
I picked up a Scout power steering box, a Saginaw ham can pump. A bracket for the pump from JT outfitters. Some sweet mfg universals for the steering shaft. All new tie rod ends. I decided on running the air intake through a 2001 f150 enclosed cone style air cleaner and a snorkel since i will be removing the stock air cleaner as the pump will be going there.

This past weekend I drilled the holes for the snorkel. Test fit it. Then removed it and the fender and apron for preparation for the steering project.

Landcruiser (62).jpg
Landcruiser (63).jpg

Good job -- keep going. Since you started in 2000, now I don't feel so bad that I'm four years and counting into my '74!

GregRay - Yeah 4 years isn't bad.. Sometimes you need to wait for the stars to align and you have time and money at the same time. Im pretty motivated to get it done soon, as the weather is getting warmer and I want to be able to ride around with the top and doors off.

Last weekend I removed the manual pump, shock, and air cleaner housing. I got the Saginaw pump off the original bracket, and changed the pulley on it as well. I test fit the JT outfitters bracket but it is not fitting correctly. It is being held up by the lip on the valve cover. Looks like I will need to trim a little off the bracket. Does this look like an aftermarket valve cover?

I also got in the wagoner pitman arm. And am waiting for the correct pillow block bearing from Downey. Still need to get a conversion drag link that will accept the landcruiser TRE at the one end and wagoner TRE at the pitman arm side. Think Kurt from Cruiser outfitters is going to get me going with that. Also need to work on finding a 3/4 crush shaft steering shaft. Hoping to test fit the box and buzz off the old pump bracket and trim my shock tower with my plasma cutter this weekend.

Landcruiser(64).jpg

Last edited:
Not too much progress over the weekend. I got the old pitman arm off my scout box. Couldn't do it with my puller had to use my dad's snap on one. I filed the end of my steering shaft to match the diameter of the rest of it and worked the rest smooth with a flap disc on an angle grinder as the rust scaling had it a little bigger than the needed diameter. Then I installed the pillow bock with some longer cad plated bolts.

Landcruiser (65).jpg

Not too much progress over the weekend. I got the old pitman arm off my scout box. Couldn't do it with my puller had to use my dad's snap on one. I filed the end of my steering shaft to match the diameter of the rest of it and worked the rest smooth with a flap disc on an angle grinder as the rust scaling had it a little bigger than the needed diameter. Then I installed the pillow bock with some longer cad plated bolts.

View attachment 1085835

Looks great!

I recommend using some locking washers on your column bearing just to make sure the nuts don't loosen up in the future. BTW where did you pic up the bearing block from? It looks like a very nice bearing.

This is as close as I made it today. I cut off the rivets for the old manual steering mount with the plasma cutter. Then tried to hammer it off. well it didn't want to come off. So I got ticked off at it and cut it off the frame. Then I cut the back rib off the shock tower and notched the radiator housing. Will we a section of pipe into it later. I mounted my ham can style pump in my JT outfitters bracket. Looks nice but when I tried to bolt it on it is being held out by the adjuster for the alternator. And its too long anyway so I think I might pull off the adjuster and shorten it.
I'm a little stuck now as not sure what to do with the frame side of the shock tower where the rivet is. I put another post out there looking for pictures. Hopefully I will get something tonight as I hope to make some progress tomorrow.

The picture shows how close I am to drilling the holes and getting ready to mount it. (I know about sleeving the bolts with pipe, plan on it and I know I need to notch the other rib of the shock tower

Landcruiser(66).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom