1974 FJ40 buildup thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yesterday I ran into an issue. After grinding the back rib of the shock tower flush, the box would not sit flush with the frame. There was a gap where the bottom bolt hole meets the frame. I ended up removing the shock tower then grinding the underside of the of it and putting some washers under the top side. I tested and now it sots flush. hopefully I will have time to run to the hardware store today to get some grade 8 cad plated bolts. Then I can bolt the shock tower back on. And this Saturday hopefully weld the plate on the backside drill the holes, weld the tubes and bolt on the box. Picture shows the little bit it was out. Will have more pictures this week..
WIN_20150607_134315.JPG

Got a little time to work on my 74 today. Got the shock tower bolted on. Clamped on the steering box where I want it to go. Mocked the steering shaft up with the joints I am using and a piece of 3/4 inch dowel (as I have not found the crush shaft that I would like to use yet. Then got a 29/64" bit and ran it through the mounting holes in the steering box so I would have the center marked for when I unclamp the box and drill them.. Also removed the center arm, the old drag link and the steering stabilizer.
20150613_155600.jpg

The next thing I need to figure out is what I want to do with the tension arm from the alternator as it sticks out too far and is hitting the steering pump and keeping me from bolting it on. Thinking about sectioning it to shorten it , or try and find one that wraps around the alternator in a c shape. Thoughts anyone???

20150613_172648.jpg

Last edited:
Progress has slowed a little due to my schedule, a vacation with the family, and the tons of rain we have been having. Stinks my project sits outside, so can only work on it in decent weather. But anyway. Got a little time to work on it yesterday. Got the three holes drilled through the frame, plated the backside of the frame and welded some sleeves in for the bolts. Also sectioned the tension bracket for the alternator. Which allowed me to mock up the power steering pump but.... Now the upper radiator hose is in the way of the pump. So will need to figure that one out.

20150705_125148.jpg

Made a little more progress. Picked up a formed upper radiator hose to replace the universal one that was in the way of the powersteering pump.

20150710_131440.jpg

I went to a pick a part and got a steering shaft from a full size chevy pickup.

20150711_150556.jpg

I cut off the rag joint. Trimmed off the end. and made a spud to connect from that end to the universal at the power steering box end.

20150711_154823.jpg
20150711_154830.jpg

Had a couple free minutes the other day and I welded the joints onto the steering shaft and put in the shaft. And i notched the bib for it to fit with the Saginaw box. I also picked up a CCOT locking center console with the cup holders, a CCOT big cut cover for the cruiser, and a bestop fold and tumble rear seat. Once the power steering project is done those toys will be going in. Hopefully this weekend I will have a little time to work on pulley alignment. And maybe change some tie rod ends. Not sure where I am going with it. I might put a double pulley on the alternator and drive the pump off that. Not sure if there is room with the fan shroud. Ive got the pump lined up with the alternator now but if I go with it the way it is it wont grab much of the alternator pulley. And the groove width is wrong on the pump. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Landcruiser (67).jpg

Landcruiser (68).jpg

Landcruiser (69).jpg

Last edited:
Had a little bit of time on Saturday So I pulled off the tie rod, Soaked the snot out of it with PB blaster and got the TRE's out and put new ones in it, painted the rod. Then reinstalled. Hoping this week after work one night I can get a length for the belt for the pump and get one.

Got the box bolted on. Power steering lines run, belt on. Received my custom made drag link from Bud built.com Had them sleeve it to make it stronger and I shot a coat of paint on it. This weekend I will retorque my head bolts. Then fire it up. and can weld the last joint on the steering shaft, bolt on the pitman arm and the drag link.
Landcruiser (71).jpg

Landcruiser (70).jpg

Landcruiser (73).jpg

Landcruiser (72).jpg

Finally finished the power steering conversion Saturday. Also changed the exhaust donut while I had easy access. Just little clean up things to do. Install some cotter pins in the castle nuts, remove the rest of the old manual steering box bracket, try and remove the 3 broken fender bolts with some easy outs.

It steers better than I thought. With the 35" swampers and sitting still I can steer the tires back and forth with one finger.

Landcruiser(74).jpg

Landcruiser(75).jpg

Looking good. I'm at 23 years now... I've got a scout box on the shelf, in a year or two, it may make it on the truck :D

Looking good. I'm at 23 years now... I've got a scout box on the shelf, in a year or two, it may make it on the truck :D

Go for it. It took me way longer than I wanted to due to my crazy schedule and family obligations. But I am sure glad I did it. Turned out better than I had hoped for. Now just need to weld on the rear bumper and swing out tire carrier I made. and figure out how I want to mount my oval led tail lights and backup lights. Then should be able to finally get it inspected.

Got the rest of the bracket from the manual pump off the frame yesterday.. also started tackling the three broken bolts for the fender support. First one I drilled and tried an easy out.. well that went bad. Broke the easy out. So the other two I just drilled out and retapped. Tried drilling the easy out.. not gonna happen... so I guess it is only going to get three bolts unless i melt the easy out with my plasma cutter..

Last edited:
Yesterday I removed the points and condenser and replaced them with a Petronix Ignitor points eliminator kit. Seems much better. Now just need to get a Trollhole carb. Hopefully he responds to my voicemail or my messages I have sent him soon.

Installed New Carb. Just need to fabricate an accelerator rod, as I cannot source one. Starts so easy and idles awesome now.

Need to replace Clutch Slave cylinder. Have an Aisan on the way.

Old Carb

Landcruiser (76) Carb replacement.jpg

New One
Landcruiser (77) New Carb.jpg

Landcruiser (78) New Carb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom