Trails in Pisgah? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking at my Delorme and the NC Rover site, it seems like there's some decent wheeling in Pisgah Nat'l Forest? Plus it's closer to the Triangle than Nantahala and the Smokies.

Anyone have any tips on cool places in Pisgah? No need to post exact coordinates here, just wondering if it's worth a weekend of exploring. Specifically I was looking at the areas west of Marion, and around Linville Gorge. If there's stuff out there like Cullowhee, that'd make for a nice weekend escape.

Juan, visit their site: Old North State Rovers. They talk about Caney Creek and Richland Gap and areas near Boone. Doesn't sound like anything rough but may be worth checking out?

I think Greg said he's done some of the trails in that area, hopefully he'll chime in.

Caney Creek is Cullowhee............. however Richland Gap is very similiar to the trails at Cullowhee and I believe it is still open from what I understand there was some debate about closing the area a while back.

Talk to Cruiser4life (andy) he has been all over in that area............. If you do go check them out post up some pics and a trip reprot :D

*edit* it looks like the rover guys just had a run there :http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/ma...308&prettyurl=/nclandrovers/messages/?msg=308

Last edited:
Thanks JP, some day I'll learn how to read a map. ;)

Ok, what about around Boone and Blowing Rock? Andy? Greg?

There are a couple of old loggin roads on either ridge of the Linville gorge, but they are more like well maintained gravel roads, pretty well traveled. The one on the east side goes up to Table Rock, the western one runs from Linville Falls down to just west of Morganton.

There are a couple of old loggin roads on either ridge of the Linville gorge, but they are more like well maintained gravel roads, pretty well traveled. The one on the east side goes up to Table Rock, the western one runs from Linville Falls down to just west of Morganton.

Yeah, Old NC 105 runs the western rim of the gorge and is the access to most of the trail heads to the bottom from that side. You pick it up on 126 on the other side of the lake from Morganton and take it north along the gorge to where the Mcdowell, Burke and Avery county lines all come together.

The eastern rim doesn't have any roads that follow it per se, but there is a larger network of roads that criss cross the slope. Access is at multiple points along 181.

Like Jon said, there aren't really 4WD areas as you'll see small, 2WD cars using it often. It is a fun area to check out if we get a decent snow or even ice storm.

Looking at my Delorme and the NC Rover site, it seems like there's some decent wheeling in Pisgah Nat'l Forest? Plus it's closer to the Triangle than Nantahala and the Smokies.

Anyone have any tips on cool places in Pisgah? No need to post exact coordinates here, just wondering if it's worth a weekend of exploring. Specifically I was looking at the areas west of Marion, and around Linville Gorge. If there's stuff out there like Cullowhee, that'd make for a nice weekend escape.

Also off 181 to the right are a network of roads that follow Upper Creek and eventually weave over to the Wilson Creek Gorge. Just north of there is an area called Globe that used to have some areas to go off road but they have all either been closed by the state or been made private / no trespassing.

Northeast from Globe is the Richland Gap trail off of 321. It's a fun day ride with water crossings and tight mountain laurel. It drops you off near blowing rock.

Crackers Neck is just past Boone as is Elk Knob Game Land where there are all sorts of old 4WD roads to explore.

I'd be up for a Richland Gap club ride and exploring some of the 4WD drive roads on the map north of Boone!! It would be a good way to get out of the heat this summer!!

I use to go up to Richland gap all the time back many years ago. It is a pretty fun area. Globe use to be a very good trail but I have heard it is closed. I would love to meet you guys on a run to Richland gap. Wilson gorge has some fun logging roads too. I use to take a trail near yancy ridge that was fun but that was 10 years ago. I have alos been on trails near Roaring Gap that had some good hill climbs. Use to be some good trails out from Hickory near taylorsville but not sure of the status.

Now that I am back in North Carolina I will be checking out some of my old areas. I just need to find some maps for OZIexploer. Anybody on here use Oziexplorer?? I have a laptop mounted in the cruiser and used it all the time for Oregon.

Tim

I'd be up for a ride, as long as i don't need a cage or roll bar. Future mod, just not in the budget yet.

I'm not familar with any of the trails between Hickory and Taylorsville. They would all have to be on private land unless they are around the Catawba River

So any of you interested in going to this area Friday night July 21, or Saturday 7/22 and camping that night?

We're kind of jammed up until then - and that weekend my wife will be out of town, so it'd work out perfectly. ;)

We needn't do anything breakneck, just do some exploring and maybe get a route or enough ideas for a formal club ride.

As dumb as it sounds, I am unfortunately booked every weekend in July but the proposed weekend is the most "iffy" so I could be in.

I am definitely down for a Richland Gap ride. It's a fun day off road for sure.

I like your idea of scouting for a more formal club ride though Joe and I'll volunteer to assist with that effort.

Yep and that sucks because it was a fun place.

Yeah, it was.. It's where I took my now-wife on her first ever wheeling trip and almost went over backwards on the hill climb past the "Globe Rock" when the rear pinion broke and sent us on a course off the side of the mountain.

Also blew 2 beads on that trip, first (and last) 2 ever. (First real trip on the 38's, and last trip before beadlocks..)

little video from that (right click and save, it's 28MB) http://www.rnrfab.com/rich/videos/globeweb.wmv (Sorry for the crap music, one of the guys riding with us made that, he's kinda...artsy...)

Guys and Gals, I want to go do some exploring soon.

This weekend is no good, the next three should be fine. I'd prefer to leave Friday after work, camp, explore Saturday, come back Saturday night. Leaving Saturday AM and returning early on Sunday is fine too.

Who's interested, and which weekend?

Let me know when you are going. I would like to see if I can go too. I would be driving from Wilmington so give me a good notice so I can have the Landcruiser ready.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom