Ol' Yota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I guess I'll start this up now.
This weekend I picked up a new future trail rig. I won't lie that it needs some work but it's not that bad at all.

82 Toyota Hilux Short Bed, Regular Cab. 22R, 4spd and a top shift t-case, 4.30 gears.

toyotapickup.jpg

Toyota01.jpg

ToyotaAxle.jpg

ToyotaEngine.jpg

Here's the problems.
ToyotaBody02.jpg

ToyotaFrame03.jpg

ToyotaFrame02.jpg

ToyotaFrame01.jpg

ToyotaBody01.jpg

On the 25th it goes to my buddy's place to get the frame and body patched up and maybe set up the suspension, we'll see about that.

That is almost painful to look at. I have been wanting an early model mini and except for the frame, your looks really good.

That is almost painful to look at. I have been wanting an early model mini and except for the frame, your looks really good.

The frame really isn't that bad at all. It'll be fixed up soon too :)

you should leave it painted like that....its sick!! :D

It's actually black now, I need some updated pics of it.

nice truck. gotta love those salty roads. welcome aboard! if that rear has been lifted you should extend the LSPV rod
do your self a favor and sink that jeep in the ocean. :flipoff2: (after draining all the oil and coolant of course) ;)

The frame really isn't that bad at all. It'll be fixed up soon too :)

I remember saying that with my old '84 pickup. The rust was a lot less than that, so I figured "eh, I can fix that". I spent hours cutting and welding patches to the frame, it was a sucky job that I will never do again. Two years laters I was parting it out, I sawzalled the frame in half and took it to the scrap yard, before it collapsed on me.

Remember that rust like that is like an iceberg, you are really only seeing about 10-20% of the real damage now. One you start picking and grinding at it, it's gonna get ugly. I had a small spot on the inside of the pass side rail, so I took it into the shop and started digging out the crap. Here's what I had to patch when I was done:

Before1.jpg

Good luck, I'd start looking for another frame if I were you.

nice truck. gotta love those salty roads. welcome aboard! if that rear has been lifted you should extend the LSPV rod
do your self a favor and sink that jeep in the ocean. :flipoff2: (after draining all the oil and coolant of course) ;)

LSPV rod?
I don't think the rear is lifted. It's just Skyjacker shocks.

That's not my Grand, it's my buddy's who I bought the truck off. My Grand on the other hand, I blew the motor a few months back and I'm just finishing parting it out. Here's a pic just because:
zj006.jpg

I remember saying that with my old '84 pickup. The rust was a lot less than that, so I figured "eh, I can fix that". I spent hours cutting and welding patches to the frame, it was a sucky job that I will never do again. Two years laters I was parting it out, I sawzalled the frame in half and took it to the s**** yard, before it collapsed on me.

Remember that rust like that is like an iceberg, you are really only seeing about 10-20% of the real damage now. One you start picking and grinding at it, it's gonna get ugly. I had a small spot on the inside of the pass side rail, so I took it into the shop and started digging out the ****. Here's what I had to patch when I was done:
Good luck, I'd start looking for another frame if I were you.

Ouch, I used a hammer and screw driver on the frame no other problems that I noticed.

We'll see when I tear into it.

Did some work on cleaning some of the parts up.
Painted the header up. The outlet looks HUGE!
header001.jpg

header002.jpg

header003.jpg

header004.jpg

Cleaned up the manifold and carb.
carb002.jpg

carbmanifold001.jpg

carbmanifold002.jpg

The manifold is an Edelbrock Performer, I think it's OLD because Edelbrock no longer makes it.
manifold001.jpg

manifold002.jpg

The carb is a Holley, again old!
carb001.jpg

The power steering set up.
powersteering001.jpg

That's it for now. I'm gather parts for the build. Ordered some stuff but I won't say what till it gets here and I take pics.

I haven't wheeled (riding b*tch isn't wheeling) since Nov of last year so......

Picked up some more stuff over the pass couple of days.
63" Chevys BARELY fit into a Civic Hatchback but I got them there.
chevys01.jpg

Got my 2nd case for dual (got a deal on a bunch of stuff case included, won't do duals till next year). The top case is for a friend's Sammy.
tcase01.jpg

Plus carb'd an el cheapo inline filter for my carb.
carbfilter01.jpg

Hmm...haven't updated this in a bit so here we go.

A fmonth back on a Friday afternoon with the help of my buddy's F150, I LITERALLY dragged the Toyota onto my street then pushed it into my drive way. It took some time and some muscle on mine and my neighbours behalfs. The wheels aren't the proper back spacing so they rub like hell on the steering arms/TREs.

Yota.jpg

Paintrf my steering arms and clean all the crap out of my interior. Then I helped my buddy work on his Jeep so I never got crap done on my truck.

SteeringArms02.jpg

Then about two weeks later when it warmed up again (fxxxing Canada) I did a lil more.
Nasty vynil, we don't need no stinking headliner!
headliner01.jpg

headliner02.jpg

I still need to get rid of the left over fluff s*** but I was loosing sun light and it started to rain so called it a night. I've got Friday and Monday off for Easter so I'll use that to get some work done.

Hammered my Ford Shock Mounts.
shocktowers.jpg

Had my buddy Andy rebuild the carb for the truck. He's been rebuilding motorcycle carbs for years so why not have someone with the knowledge do it.
andy_carb01.jpg

Andy_Carb02.jpg

All done and on the truck with the air cleaner too.
Carb03.jpg

Carb04.jpg

I also popped the fenders off too so I can do some body and paint work. Found out that the passenger side rocker is toast. I'm thinking I'll just cut both rockers out and weld some box plate in their place instead.
Fenders01.jpg

Fenders02.jpg

Fenders03.jpg

I tried to completely disassyemble the Chevy leafs so I could paint them and replace the bushings, didn't go as planned. Bolts are seized in both bushings on bolt leafs. Tried to beat and torch them out to no avail. I will try air tools on them and see if that works. Couldn't get the center pin out of one, it's spinning in the leaf so I'll have to work on getting it out.
So once they are apart I will paint them all up and replace what I need too. I also want to put some UHMW-PE(Ultra High Molecular Weight - PolyEthylene) between the leafs.

Chevys02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom