Sheeps Bridge water crossing 1.3.2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Sheeps Bridge water crossing may not be considered “stocker"friendly anymore by some. Arrived at the bridge and proceed to cross using the normal line is the past only to find the corner of my hood under water…WT.. My friend in the 4runner was not excited watching to say the least. Tried a new line crossing back across and holy xxxx, the first time I have seen water over my hood and on my windshield. Now my snorkel equipped LC has a missfire and I need to go back.:bang: I make it without back without drama for the night. The next morning Paul in the 4runner is not excited about water going over the hood and getting inside of his 4runner again. We go up on the bridge and evaluate the crossing from above. The river is defiantly deeper then the last few times I crossed and the line used in the past is no longer any good. After pondering if we should take another route back Paul goes with the I made it once I can make it again attitude.
thumb.gif
Attached is the video of the 4runners return crossing.

If you go beware the crossing line has changed.

Side note: The LC is not water tight going that deep I ended up with wet carpet at all 4 doors and at the rear:mad:

Last edited:
The only difference between getting across, or totaling your truck is a simple stall .

Yowza! Time to throw on a wet suit and do some scouting. I wonder how it will look after the spring run-off?

Posted via IH8MUD app

Last edited by a moderator:
Yowza! Time to throw on a wet suit and do some scouting. I wonder how it will look after the spring run-off?

Posted via IH8MUD app

The line or the least deepest line is visible looking down from the bridge.

Wow that was deeeeeep! Thats pretty much the same line I have always taken except I hug the passenger side way more into the brush. The place where he crossed is shallow but it has always been very soft and mushy. Nice job making it across.

Wow that was deeeeeep! Thats pretty much the same line I have always taken except I hug the passenger side way more into the brush. The place where he crossed is shallow but it has always been very soft and mushy. Nice job making it across.

Everything has changed. The shallowest line is what we wanted coming home, not much mush on his line. The mush was 10' further away from where he started and where you hood goes under water for the full pucker factor, snorkel equipped or not.:rolleyes: The bush line or your line is where I was the first time crossing when the left corner of the hood went under water ~20' prior to exiting.

My carpet is still wet:bang: IH8water

Everything has changed. The shallowest line is what we wanted coming home, not much mush on his line. The mush was 10' further away from where he started and where you hood goes under water for the full pucker factor, snorkel equipped or not.:rolleyes: The bush line or your line is where I was the first time crossing when the left corner of the hood went under water ~20' prior to exiting. My carpet is still wet:bang: IH8water

Im glad I haven't decided to do this trip recently If I do I will have second thoughts about going alone or crossing first.

"water is stronger than you" - the canoe guy (RIP, Vince :frown:) who taught us how to run rapids on the Verde River

Having made that crossing (behind LCP) in the past, it brings to mind the old saying: "If someone else has done it, so can you - and if no one else has done it... maybe you should wait a little longer!"

(Actually, I think it goes '... you can be the first'!). That looked worrisome from the comfort of my home computer,

Yeah, dark water. I was assuming it was murky.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using IH8MUD Forum mobile app

What about all those vented things under the truck that cool instantly when immersed and suck in water... snorkels don't help them much. Might consider a full fluid change after that type of crossing.

What about all those vented things under the truck that cool instantly when immersed and suck in water... snorkels don't help them much. Might consider a full fluid change after that type of crossing.

Thanks for the thoughts:cool: I will pass the info on to my friend in the 4runner. As for fluids all my breather lines have been extended up including my axle locking actuators, so Im good. My carpet is now dry:rolleyes: but I still have moister in my headlights and turn signals.:mad: Any ideas on how to dry them out?

I only have limited personal experience drying wet lamps... but for headlights, you might popping out the lamps, seal the garage and start up a good dehumidifier. I know moisture in the headlight can lead to big bucks repairs if they are metal and left moist. Even then, the reflectors may never be the same if the water was murky and enough got in to leave a film.

Another idea just popped into my brain - I know you can buy little packets of silica gel to keep things dry. Or that crystal cat litter is the same stuff, just need a way to contain it in the headlight for a day or three.

Is Sheeps Crossing out by the Coke Ovens, this was my Frontier on 35's with 8" of lift, I know, was going a little too fast through the crossing out there.

OK, I will stay away from that one. Funny thing on my shot above was we had a Sami that was with our group that we strapped to a Xterra, good thing because it started to float.

we had a Sami that ...that started to float.

:eek: Start paddling!

I did that in my 1979 CJ7 many years ago while crossing the Verde. Only lasted about 10 feet in the middle of the crossing but it is a weird sensation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom