Bad Sunflower Mine news (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cdaniel

Undocumented Mechanic-I Am Not CDAN
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
zot-art.com
I know a lot of us like this run. Apparently there was a fire this weekend. I was wondering where the haze was from in the east valley. Here's a message I got from the Honeywell club about it:

As most of you have already heard, we lost our beloved trail today. According to a map Channel 3 put up on tonight's news, the entire trail is contained in the fire area. Joe Osuch said he heard the fire started at the cattle guard on the paved road going down and was headed north. He has several calls in to people he knows at the Tonto. He also said he was going to drive up there tomorrow to see. I'll keep you all updated....
Heart so heavy.........
Chari

That sucks I saw the smoke yesterday from Sheeps Bridge, was wondering what it was from.

Bummin deal, the Mt. Peeley side burned what ~10yrs ago. TRAL is scheduled to camp at the Admin site and tour the fire tower, etc, on Mt. Ord next weekend, will see how that is affected?

Bad deal...

i hear there is another fire only 4 miles north of Crown King too.

Fire season is here :frown:

The fire report from Wed TRAL meet went something like: Good news, it was a dry winter/spring, so little new fuel was grown, bad news, what is there is dry, so expect fires. IIRC 12 fires on Tonto as of Wed, 5 proven to be started by shooters.

Drove by the Sunflower fire on the way home from camping on the Rim Saturday evening. You could see the flames running up the mountain. Bummer. :frown: DPS had the turnoff closed at the Beeline, and I'd imagine they keep it closed for some time until they're sure it's all out? We had taken the Scouts up to Bear Canyon Lake, and one new one wanted to know why we had to put so much water (10 gallons) on our campfire when we left. Watching the smoke all the way from Payson, and seeing the flames hopefully cemented a good lesson for him...

Hope that area didn't get the hot winds we had in So. Az. today.:frown:

Better news.........

Apparently not a total loss
Forwarded from the Honeywell gang:

"I got a call from Ami Racki this morning. Our beloved trail is untouched all the way to 201. When you start up the hill out of the creek bed (our lunch spot) a little ways up it's burned. We lost all the trees at the top. But, the mine and mill are fine! The forest service is going to have a sand bagging party on the 16th. I'll be there! I am soooo happy!!!!!
Chari "

:bounce:

That's great news!! Thanks for the update :bounce2:

The update at the TRAL meeting last night: Both of the processing centers were burned. At the National Mine they are doing asbestos and mercury abatement, so it doesn't wash down stream. Have big equipment back there and are putting all of it into the mines and closing/burying them. The plan is to leave as much of the concrete/metal structure as possible, the oven, etc. The area is likely to be closed for a year, likely longer, my guess, much longer, to allow some time for recovery.

The other precessing center (Pine Mountain?) has been completely buried. :frown:

Glad we were there in November, remember it how it was: https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/532318-tonto-tral-informative-training-2.html

attachment.php

It burned to the ADOT road, just north of FR393. Pix taken from the old Beeline HWY, just north of FR393 and a bit south of FR201.:frown: It came very close to the Admin center, but the burn can't be seen from there.

6-16-2012_7.jpg

6-16-2012_8.jpg

Pretty sobering up close. That area was always one of my favorite quick escapes, now most of it is decimated.:frown:

Was out there on Sunday with BrotherRob and that fire sure did get close to the admin site....Hopefully the work we did pays off....

Bummer. I always loved that place.

Some FS pics of the area

Story_Mine_vicinity.jpg

Sunflower_Mine.jpg

Picture_022.jpg

Another one

P6190239.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom